Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxlandscape Quote
Bort pentax bodoes has these features, right?
I use K1 & K3. I do not know whether the models listed by you support these two features. I mentioned these features because they are very useful features, especially focus-peaking.

06-02-2018, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP has both features and an amazing sensor. With the DA 50 1.8 you can do a lot landscape and even portrait wise until you fall into the, (cue dramatic music here...) "Limited Zone!" When you buy a DA or FA limited, then your lens buying desires generally look in the direction of another limited or a Star* lens. Watch out!
06-02-2018, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
I use K1 & K3. I do not know whether the models listed by you support these two features. I mentioned these features because they are very useful features, especially focus-peaking.
All three bodies, (K-3, K-70, KP), support focus peaking. The K-70 and KP also have pixel shift, the K-3 does not. However, the K-3II does have
pixel shift.

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
06-03-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the answers and comments.
I am using K10d for 10 years. As i see 18-135 in K70 kit is cheaper than KP kit. I think KP does not have a bundle with 18-135, so i need to buy 18-135 seperately.
Also K70 is smaller than KP. I have not checked any of the cameras in store yet.
The K-70 is a very nice, fine-performing camera. and it is built extraordinarily well for an entry-level body. But it is not even close in either build quality, or certainly in the pro-level control set of your K10D. The KP definitely comes closest in these regards and then some as far as is possible in a more compact form. Even with its superior build, the KP is about the same weight as the K-70, only about 1/4" wider, its height/depth is only due to a tiny design peak and overhang of the flash housing, but it is of a more slim body depth over all. Holding one immediately gives a sense of solidity, yet lightness and compactness, which can be expanded if desired by adding the optional battery grip. Its design is definitely closer to that of APS-C mirrorless in a DSLR than is the K-70 design.

I just checked B&H and found the KP is indeed offered bundled with the 18-135mm but for whatever reason, not at the unusually substantial savings as in the deal with the K-70. If you call them, it would be a reasonable question to bring up. The KP body, however, is being offered at a lower price currently, compared to a few months ago. Maybe if you wait for the K-3 II replacement to appear, the price might come down yet a little more.

06-03-2018, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What’s your budget? I wouldn’t really recommend the Canon m50 personally, but there are other good mirrorless options available. If price is a big concern, I’d stick with Pentax unless size is a priority. Pentax is a cheap system to own for APS-C. I prefer mirrorless for general purpose, but it comes at a price and is pointless (to me) if you can’t afford the required lenses.
06-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The K-70 is a very nice, fine-performing camera. and it is built extraordinarily well for an entry-level body. But it is not even close in either build quality, or certainly in the pro-level control set of your K10D. The KP definitely comes closest in these regards and then some as far as is possible in a more compact form. Even with its superior build, the KP is about the same weight as the K-70, only about 1/4" wider, its height/depth is only due to a tiny design peak and overhang of the flash housing, but it is of a more slim body depth over all. Holding one immediately gives a sense of solidity, yet lightness and compactness, which can be expanded if desired by adding the optional battery grip. Its design is definitely closer to that of APS-C mirrorless in a DSLR than is the K-70 design.

I just checked B&H and found the KP is indeed offered bundled with the 18-135mm but for whatever reason, not at the unusually substantial savings as in the deal with the K-70. If you call them, it would be a reasonable question to bring up. The KP body, however, is being offered at a lower price currently, compared to a few months ago. Maybe if you wait for the K-3 II replacement to appear, the price might come down yet a little more.
Thanks for the comments, I havent check kp or k70 in hands yet but was not thinking that k70’s build quality is not like k10d. I was expecting it is like k10d at least. It is diffucult to find pentax bodies in stores where i live.
I will ask about kit prices to BH, thanks again.

---------- Post added 06-04-18 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
What’s your budget? I wouldn’t really recommend the Canon m50 personally, but there are other good mirrorless options available. If price is a big concern, I’d stick with Pentax unless size is a priority. Pentax is a cheap system to own for APS-C. I prefer mirrorless for general purpose, but it comes at a price and is pointless (to me) if you can’t afford the required lenses.
Around a thousand bucks, not enough for sonyA 7 series mirrorless plus lenses. So most probably i will stay with pentax.
06-04-2018, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

I am selling my K-5 and going with KP. Lighter for traveling, quality image and I will match it with the new 55-300 PLM.
I travel a lot and do a lot of landscape and city photo, for that my Tamron 10-24 is great.

06-05-2018, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Hi pentax forums,
I am a K10d owner and have kit lenses 18-55 and 50 200. I wanted to upgrade my camera and started looking at mirrorless sony, canon m50, also pentax dslr bodies K70 and KP and now i am really confused. So I really need some recommendations about below options.
-K70 with 18-135 lens
-K70 body only
-KP body only
-Canon M50 with 15-45

I am mostly taking landscape and traveling too much so i am also considering a mirrorless (like m50) but not sure it will satisfy me.

Thanks.
I'm not in a position to comment on your suggested options, being unfamiliar with them, but as a K5 user (and a couple of *ist models) that recently acquired a mirrorless camera, I'd definitely recommend "Try before you buy" before going "mirrorless".

Depending on your eyesight, the "live-view" rear screen can be little more than a compositional aid, assuming dependance on system-specific autofocus lenses ... similarly the electronic viewfinder may be poor definition (compared to a "proper" slr) as well as suffering from "lag", judder etc., especially with a moving subject. Possibly less of a consideration for the landscape photographer, but, I feel, points worthy of consideration never-the-less.

Good luck
06-05-2018, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy the KP and a second hand 21 or 40 limited. Suddenly the mirrorless options won't seem so much smaller.
06-05-2018, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The A6000 plus two lenses can be had new for well under $1,000. It really depends on what system suits your needs. I have a 45 year history with Pentax, and I own a dozen bodies and at least 3 times that many lenses.

However, if I were starting today, I’d go mirrorless, and I am moving that direction. The Rube Goldberg designs of multiple mirrors and micro lenses needed to make autofocus work with any SLR are just not necessary any more. I wish Pentax had stuck with the K01 line, but it hasn’t.
06-05-2018, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Buy the KP and a second hand 21 or 40 limited. Suddenly the mirrorless options won't seem so much smaller.
What Sandy said. I am a rank amateur but love what I get from my KP after starting with a K-50 last June. The K-70 is good gear but the alloy frame under the skin of the KP makes it feel like it was carved out of a block of magnesium alloy.