Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax cling clang thing

I want to know, why on Earth, is every time in LIVE VIEW MODE, and when I press MENU, INFO or PLAY button, - from camera I hear - CLING CLANG sound, of mirror closing and opening floating upside-down ?
--
It's so annoying.

When you work from Live View, and want to review your shoots, or enter the menu, cling clang, cling clang, cling clang !

wHERE was the brain in this genius idea, that the mirror must be closed down, just to enter the menu from your LCD ?
Or in Play mode ?

Why mirror in this cases could not just stay in up position instead of doing this nasty cling clang thing every time ? I want to know is there some special reason for that behaviour, and is it must be in that way, or is it unknown ..?

I cannot recall myself to any valuable reason, why mirror in Playback, and Info, or Menu mode must be in down position...

Last edited by panonski; 06-04-2018 at 01:37 PM.
06-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At times, the software does some smart things. But.. in LV mode it is rather odd that the mirror / shutter goes down and up when pressing INFO, MENU or even image preview. That's counter intuitive because we tend to switch to LV and then eventually change some settings. That means, the user has to think of the settings and then switch on LV to take the shot. Yet, for swithcing on ES , it is necessary to have LV already switched On.. Too bad for someone wanting to use the LV mode as a kind of silent mode.

Also, when in LV mode, the top LCD lighting doesn't switch on, so for example if I wanted to keep the LV LCD without information in order not to clutter the view when I frame an image, I couldn't use the top LCD info in dim lighting situation.. so I think those behaviors are simply because that part wasn't specified for the developers.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.
06-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
At times, the software does some smart things. But.. in LV mode it is rather odd that the mirror / shutter goes down and up when pressing INFO, MENU or even image preview. That's counter intuitive because we tend to switch to LV and then eventually change some settings. That means, the user has to think of the settings and then switch on LV to take the shot. Yet, for swithcing on ES , it is necessary to have LV already switched On.. Too bad for someone wanting to use the LV mode as a kind of silent mode.

Also, when in LV mode, the top LCD lighting doesn't switch on, so for example if I wanted to keep the LV LCD without information in order not to clutter the view when I frame an image, I couldn't use the top LCD info in dim lighting situation.. so I think those behaviors are simply because that part wasn't specified for the developers.

I think it's just silly, and stupid, very annoying, and also reduce battery life, and other hardware related to the mirror.

It's just - why no one simply put that in code???

--
The reason ( if there is one ) must be somewhere, but if there is no any, I think it's a shamingly stupid solution
06-04-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
It's just - why no one simply put that in code???
This behavior in LV mode is likely due to how they added LV to the existing (old) firmware system they already run in camera before live view became a popular option. It is also possible that the processor cannot run both continuous sensor acquisition and user interface at the same time. In order to run the user interface again, the LV mode has to end and resume again afer the user interface was accessed. But if the mirror and shutter actuation could be inhibited it would be great.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-04-2018 at 02:03 PM.
06-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't know, that should be communicated to Ricoh imaging by someone having direct contact with them. I wouldn't say it's a shame, but I would say that improving software could make the camera even greater for the users, without Ricoh having to spend so much money.
that's for sure.

that's why I support their idea to put the code out for developers

/ but yet, I would rather to see them to work this out, with their own development forces /
06-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I want to know, why on Earth, is every time in LIVE VIEW MODE, and when I press MENU, INFO or PLAY button, - from camera I hear - CLING CLANG sound, of mirror closing and opening floating upside-down ?
--
It's so annoying.

When you work from Live View, and want to review your shoots, or enter the menu, cling clang, cling clang, cling clang !

wHERE was the brain in this genius idea, that the mirror must be closed down, just to enter the menu from your LCD ?
Or in Play mode ?

Why mirror in this cases could not just stay in up position instead of doing this nasty cling clang thing every time ? I want to know is there some special reason for that behaviour, and is it must be in that way, or is it unknown ..?

I cannot recall myself to any valuable reason, why mirror in Playback, and Info, or Menu mode must be in down position...
Hmmmm...good question. To be honest, I have noticed this, but it has never bothered me. That may be because I seldom do extensive work using live view and also seldom chimp from there or change menu settings while actively shooting. Actually, I am not much for chimping or menu fiddling when I am using the optical viewfinder either. I will have to ask my Nikon and Canon-using friends what their cameras do before I get upset about it. I do dislike it when my underwear gets into a wad.

Steve
06-05-2018, 01:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I would really love to see that improvment, in next firmware release for all pentax dslrs, not just main boys

06-05-2018, 01:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't imagine there is any reason why it must be down when you are not actually using live view. But keeping the mirror up and sensor on is, in general, a bad thing...it takes power and exposes the sensor to dirt. So when mirror-up is not entirely necessary, it is released. Engineering-wise this is a perfectly good decision, even if user-wise the noise is a little annoying.
06-05-2018, 02:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I don't imagine there is any reason why it must be down when you are not actually using live view. But keeping the mirror up and sensor on is, in general, a bad thing...it takes power and exposes the sensor to dirt. So when mirror-up is not entirely necessary, it is released. Engineering-wise this is a perfectly good decision, even if user-wise the noise is a little annoying.
Well,
the problem is here, Sensor CAN, or it CANNOT be shut down, by system, or firmware, when LV is in use, and the mirror is up.

I think there must be solution to shut the sensor OFF, specially when you know for electronic shutter