Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 442
Pentax cling clang thing

I want to know, why on Earth, is every time in LIVE VIEW MODE, and when I press MENU, INFO or PLAY button, - from camera I hear - CLING CLANG sound, of mirror closing and opening floating upside-down ?
--
It's so annoying.

When you work from Live View, and want to review your shoots, or enter the menu, cling clang, cling clang, cling clang !



wHERE was the brain in this genius idea, that the mirror must be closed down, just to enter the menu from your LCD ?
Or in Play mode ?

Why mirror in this cases could not just stay in up position instead of doing this nasty cling clang thing every time ? I want to know is there some special reason for that behaviour, and is it must be in that way, or is it unknown ..?

I cannot recall myself to any valuable reason, why mirror in Playback, and Info, or Menu mode must be in down position...


Last edited by panonski; 06-04-2018 at 01:37 PM.
06-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,233
At times, the software does some smart things. But.. in LV mode it is rather odd that the mirror / shutter goes down and up when pressing INFO, MENU or even image preview. That's counter intuitive because we tend to switch to LV and then eventually change some settings. That means, the user has to think of the settings and then switch on LV to take the shot. Yet, for swithcing on ES , it is necessary to have LV already switched On.. Too bad for someone wanting to use the LV mode as a kind of silent mode.

Also, when in LV mode, the top LCD lighting doesn't switch on, so for example if I wanted to keep the LV LCD without information in order not to clutter the view when I frame an image, I couldn't use the top LCD info in dim lighting situation.. so I think those behaviors are simply because that part wasn't specified for the developers.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.
06-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 442
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
At times, the software does some smart things. But.. in LV mode it is rather odd that the mirror / shutter goes down and up when pressing INFO, MENU or even image preview. That's counter intuitive because we tend to switch to LV and then eventually change some settings. That means, the user has to think of the settings and then switch on LV to take the shot. Yet, for swithcing on ES , it is necessary to have LV already switched On.. Too bad for someone wanting to use the LV mode as a kind of silent mode.

Also, when in LV mode, the top LCD lighting doesn't switch on, so for example if I wanted to keep the LV LCD without information in order not to clutter the view when I frame an image, I couldn't use the top LCD info in dim lighting situation.. so I think those behaviors are simply because that part wasn't specified for the developers.

I think it's just silly, and stupid, very annoying, and also reduce battery life, and other hardware related to the mirror.


It's just - why no one simply put that in code???

--
The reason ( if there is one ) must be somewhere, but if there is no any, I think it's a shamingly stupid solution
06-04-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,233
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
It's just - why no one simply put that in code???
This behavior in LV mode is likely due to how they added LV to the existing (old) firmware system they already run in camera before live view became a popular option. It is also possible that the processor cannot run both continuous sensor acquisition and user interface at the same time. In order to run the user interface again, the LV mode has to end and resume again afer the user interface was accessed. But if the mirror and shutter actuation could be inhibited it would be great.


Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-04-2018 at 02:03 PM.
06-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 442
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't know, that should be communicated to Ricoh imaging by someone having direct contact with them. I wouldn't say it's a shame, but I would say that improving software could make the camera even greater for the users, without Ricoh having to spend so much money.
that's for sure.


that's why I support their idea to put the code out for developers

/ but yet, I would rather to see them to work this out, with their own development forces /
06-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,706
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I want to know, why on Earth, is every time in LIVE VIEW MODE, and when I press MENU, INFO or PLAY button, - from camera I hear - CLING CLANG sound, of mirror closing and opening floating upside-down ?
--
It's so annoying.

When you work from Live View, and want to review your shoots, or enter the menu, cling clang, cling clang, cling clang !



wHERE was the brain in this genius idea, that the mirror must be closed down, just to enter the menu from your LCD ?
Or in Play mode ?

Why mirror in this cases could not just stay in up position instead of doing this nasty cling clang thing every time ? I want to know is there some special reason for that behaviour, and is it must be in that way, or is it unknown ..?

I cannot recall myself to any valuable reason, why mirror in Playback, and Info, or Menu mode must be in down position...
Hmmmm...good question. To be honest, I have noticed this, but it has never bothered me. That may be because I seldom do extensive work using live view and also seldom chimp from there or change menu settings while actively shooting. Actually, I am not much for chimping or menu fiddling when I am using the optical viewfinder either. I will have to ask my Nikon and Canon-using friends what their cameras do before I get upset about it. I do dislike it when my underwear gets into a wad.


Steve
06-05-2018, 01:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 442
Original Poster
I would really love to see that improvment, in next firmware release for all pentax dslrs, not just main boys
06-05-2018, 01:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South West UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,444
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I cannot recall myself to any valuable reason, why mirror in Playback, and Info, or Menu mode must be in down position...
I don't imagine there is any reason why it must be down when you are not actually using live view. But keeping the mirror up and sensor on is, in general, a bad thing...it takes power and exposes the sensor to dirt. So when mirror-up is not entirely necessary, it is released. Engineering-wise this is a perfectly good decision, even if user-wise the noise is a little annoying.

06-05-2018, 02:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 442
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I don't imagine there is any reason why it must be down when you are not actually using live view. But keeping the mirror up and sensor on is, in general, a bad thing...it takes power and exposes the sensor to dirt. So when mirror-up is not entirely necessary, it is released. Engineering-wise this is a perfectly good decision, even if user-wise the noise is a little annoying.
Well,
the problem is here, Sensor CAN, or it CANNOT be shut down, by system, or firmware, when LV is in use, and the mirror is up.


I think there must be solution to shut the sensor OFF, specially when you know for electronic shutter
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, info, menu, mirror, mode, pentax cling clang, photography, time, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange thing with the fa 77 and k-3 Stargeezer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 05-10-2018 01:50 PM
Ancient Pentax with a twirly thing Tighelander Pentax Film SLR Discussion 49 04-25-2017 08:40 PM
Is there such a thing as a best optical formula? ffking Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 04-25-2017 02:52 PM
help - what is this tiny winder thing? (Pentax MX film SLR) stawastawa Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 15 10-03-2016 06:31 PM
Hi from London UK and whats with Pentax Marketing if there is such as thing yelwoci Welcomes and Introductions 4 09-10-2016 10:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top