Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Pentax K-1: separate Users with unique file names and settings

Hi.

I'll keep it simple.

My wife and I share a Pentax K-1.
I'd like for her files saved under the custom user (left dial) User 1 to save files with the prefix WIFE_.

While my photos, taken with user profile User 2, would save my photos with my prefix ME_.

Currently it seems that file names are universal, can't be saved uniquely per user mode. That is, if I change a prefix for one user and save it, it gets saved for other users as well.

Is there a workaround for this?
The idea is for us to easily know who took what photos.

Thanks.

06-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use different SD cards?
06-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enzofsilva Quote
Currently it seems that file names are universal
the file names can be changed at wish.

---------- Post added 04-06-18 at 23:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Use different SD cards?
That's a good workaround
06-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

That's a good workaround
Hi. If I change the camera file name convention for User U1, it also changed it to the same value for User U2.

06-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi. If I change the camera file name convention for User U1, it also changed it to the same value for User U2.
The user modes don't remember things in the settings menu. You will have to do so manually each time, or use different cards as previously suggested.

A less sophisticated but arguably very effective technique is for you to take a picture to denote who's shooting. For example, take a picture of your hand when you take over the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Good ideas. Any of you have two of the same camera, one for your spouse, one for you? Or it overkill with dslrs?

Do YOU use any of the techniques suggested previously? e.g. using two cards, then changing file names to initials; or using a demarcation photo (photo of your hand) to show who has the camera when? The latter could be cumbersome as you are walking around and passing the camera back and forth...
06-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the solution is to buy a K1-II.

But then you'll have to see who gets to shoot with what when, and I'm staying out of that debate.

06-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

That's a good workaround
Computers went through the pattern of first having everything belong to one user, and then differentiating between users .... there is no reason why cameras couldn't go through that pattern also, but at age 70 I don't expect to ever own one doing that {nor do I need it}
06-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #9

Original Poster
Apparently, saving to different SD cards is global, not user-specific.
I can't tell the K1 to save all U1 pictures info SD card 1 and U2 pictures in SD card 2. Unless the latestrxt firmware does this and I was reading an old post....

---------- Post added 06-04-18 at 10:42 PM ----------

I wonder if the user name (whether U1-U5 or custom is saved in the image data. that could be a way to sort via metadata in image viewers?
06-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
I just checked and couldn't find the user name reflected on any exif information in the files, that I could tell.
06-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think the different user modes get saved in the metadata.

I can't tell the K1 to save all U1 pictures info SD card 1 and U2 pictures in SD card 2. Unless the latestrxt firmware does this and I was reading an old post....
Due to patent issues, there is currently no menu setting to specify the active card. The procedure to switch cards is to power off the camera, remove the unwanted card, power it back on, then restore the card. The camera will now start saving to the opposite card.

Long story short, the camera isn't designed to differentiate between different users. As a last resort, you could flip a trivial setting that would show up in the EXIF, such as chromatic aberration corrections or diffraction corrections- these don't do much in practice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks. Where are these settings located? I hope they get saved with the user info.
06-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As a last resort, you could flip a trivial setting that would show up in the EXIF
Or he could buy his wife a new camera !