Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 121 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
*snip*

Compare that to a K-70 with a DA 18-135 as a kit lens and a DA* 60-250, with the 50 1.8, and you have a full range system for about the same money with top shelf IQ. All you'd be missing would be macro and ultra wide angle.

You pay a lot to get that extra 5% an FF brings to the table.
and the K-70 also has Pixel-shift

06-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
and the K-70 also has Pixel-shift
And the accelerator chip.
06-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And the accelerator chip.
06-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Buzzzzzzer! No lame hair metal sir! And the accelerator chip in the KP is magic. Those who want their RAW undercooked should stay away from me.

06-17-2018, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinMoss Quote
So, I´m thinking very seriously to switch to the dark side (Sony )

Why should I stay with Pentax? I know that a new 50mm is coming but it doesn´t seem to have improvements in sharpness overall. And brands like Tamron and Sigma are making everything to win Sony´s market.
I like that the Sony A7iii is as versatile as it can get, nice photos, lenses, video, AF, fps and much more. The only downside that I´m concerned about is the the lenses are very pricey
The K-1ii is a beast when it comes to Pixel shift and weather sealed bodies, but the lack of new lenses and poor feedback is making me question everything.

Pentax is really slowing down in their AF and video aspects, Eye AF is a must for me plus those extra FPS. Plus, the body of the Pentax is heavy.

Pleaseee, somebody give me reasons to not switch to Sony and stay with Pentax
I came from the dark side because of the K1 features and picture quality. After switching realized how much I like the feeling of holding and handling a true DSLR. Yes the lack of lenses can be frustrating but it is manageable.
06-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Buzzzzzzer! No lame hair metal sir! And the accelerator chip in the KP is magic. Those who want their RAW undercooked should stay away from me.
What? no Poison? Def Leppard? Mötley Crüe? Whitesnake? Van Halen?
06-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #67
Veteran Member

What? no Poison? Def Leppard? Mötley Crüe? Whitesnake? Van Halen?
They are all caricatures of themselves since they are older and more decrepit than I, so let's go for modern metal if we must. The answer to Poison and motley Crue would be "Never." (Maybe if I drank way, way, too much, I might tolerate it. or trash the bar, who knows?)

06-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Tess even in her 40s was a huge Metallica fan, took her kid to concerts,, we haven't put them on the DVD surround sound system for years. It takes some of us longer to grow up than others.

I don't listen to Jimi Hendrix much anymore either.

To play it loud enough to sound good, it hurts my ears.

Last edited by normhead; 06-17-2018 at 09:04 AM.
06-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #69
Veteran Member

They are all caricatures of themselves since they are older and more decrepit than I, so let's go for modern metal if we must. The answer to Poison and motley Crue would be "Never." (Maybe if I drank way, way, too much, I might tolerate it. or trash the bar, who knows?)
Aaah you mean now.
Well, there's lots of "vintage" bands stilldoing tours... yesterday the Iron Maiden were in Florence, unfortunately I couldn't be there...
06-17-2018, 09:37 AM - 2 Likes   #70
Veteran Member

Aaah you mean now.
Well, there's lots of "vintage" bands stilldoing tours... yesterday the Iron Maiden were in Florence, unfortunately I couldn't be there...
I still love Maiden though. Some of my musician friends used to hack on them until they saw them at the Irvine, California Coliseum and they were blown away.
06-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #71
Forum Member

Original Poster
Right now I have the K-50, the 100mm macro F2.8, the 18-55 kit lens, and the little 50mm 1.8. Pretty standard if you ask me, I definitely will be selling the k-50, the 18-55 and the 50mm lenses.

If I get to buy the k-1ii, i will buy it with the 24-70mm f2.8 because I already have a Macro that can be used as a small tele lens, (Plus, Its a Macro lol)
If I get to buy the Sony, I will choose the 24-70mm f4 as well, mainly because they are extremely versatile.

From the comments that I read on this thread, I´m thinking that, I consider myself as a portrait, street and landscape photographer, and i always have struggled to take photos with the k-50 in Low Light. The superb ISO on the K-1 and the increased pixels plus the new 50mm lens is making me buy the camera right away.
I´m also thinking, do I really need 4k video? Do I really want to spend 2k on each Sony Lens? I definitely would would love to have Eye AF on my main shooter, but, is it worth it?
Sony is the king of the camera companies right now, everybody is loving what Sony is doing, and when somebody hears the word "Pentax", they almost laugh. I know this is dumb, but we have to admit that nobody cares about us. Is this the deal breaker for us? Maybe not.

Maybe I will stick with Pentax, after all, the one that makes the photos is you, not the camera!
06-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Right now I have the K-50, the 100mm macro F2.8, the 18-55 kit lens, and the little 50mm 1.8. Pretty standard if you ask me, I definitely will be selling the k-50, the 18-55 and the 50mm lenses.

If I get to buy the k-1ii, i will buy it with the 24-70mm f2.8 because I already have a Macro that can be used as a small tele lens, (Plus, Its a Macro lol)
If I get to buy the Sony, I will choose the 24-70mm f4 as well, mainly because they are extremely versatile.

From the comments that I read on this thread, I´m thinking that, I consider myself as a portrait, street and landscape photographer, and i always have struggled to take photos with the k-50 in Low Light. The superb ISO on the K-1 and the increased pixels plus the new 50mm lens is making me buy the camera right away.
I´m also thinking, do I really need 4k video? Do I really want to spend 2k on each Sony Lens? I definitely would would love to have Eye AF on my main shooter, but, is it worth it?
Sony is the king of the camera companies right now, everybody is loving what Sony is doing, and when somebody hears the word "Pentax", they almost laugh. I know this is dumb, but we have to admit that nobody cares about us. Is this the deal breaker for us? Maybe not.

Maybe I will stick with Pentax, after all, the one that makes the photos is you, not the camera!
Yes the 100mm is FF, if it's the D-FA.
If you want to take portraits, then a 50mm will be ok, but on the short side of things... it will be like a 33mm lens on APS-C, as far as field of view is concerned, so maybe better suited to bust shots than head shots and details.
Also, the new 50mm you're so excited about will cost a pretty penny...
06-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I still love Maiden though. Some of my musician friends used to hack on them until they saw them at the Irvine, California Coliseum and they were blown away.
Genius, flowing, lyrical dual guitar riffage for days.

About 10 years (a bit more) ago I happened into a Cinderella show (what? you forgot about them? how strange.) at a local, quite small venue in Ballard in Seattle. Guess they couldn't book anything bigger. It was spellbinding in its complete.... trainwreck, sadness. hahaha

QuoteOriginally posted by wmsnyder65 Quote
I came from the dark side because of the K1 features and picture quality. After switching realized how much I like the feeling of holding and handling a true DSLR. Yes the lack of lenses can be frustrating but it is manageable.
But with more native legacy glass options than pretty much any other system, that "lack" is really only in the modern sense, which is no different for most intents and purposes than, say, Fuji. The "workaround" is far more graceful. And I agree... coming back to a proper prism after being away from it is a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-17-2018 at 11:54 AM.
06-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Kevin Moss, you just asked "Do I really need 4K video?"

A question like that makes me think you are an amateur and don't have much experience making videos. Sounds like you're a gear head who wants the latest and greatest gear, but doesn't know why.

These days I make my living producing on-line training videos with my K1 camera. 1080p at 25fps is all I need. It certainly does the job if you know what you're doing, have a great lens (I use Zeiss Milvus), and use an external/pro-quality microphone and audio pre-amp. I sure don't "need 4K".

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-17-2018 at 12:16 PM.
06-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Irrespective of whether one makes a living out of photography or not, completing a photo is like a project. Several things have to fall in place like, time of the day, camera, lens and editing skills, etc... We have been using technology (provided by camera and Photoshop) to cover up our lack of skill but many do not see that way consistently. For example: In film days we had to get the metering right but in Digital era we use Tone curve and lot many other features of PS for covering up our lack of skills. On the same lines if Sony camera helps cover up lack of skills that is not bad at all. In fact that is being consistent . If the result coming out of camera is good then go for it.

Coming to lens price, latest designs tend to be expensive in any field. Wait for new version then people will dump their old lens. When I buy laptop I go for one or more generations lower . First adopters pay premium.

Last edited by pentaxfall; 06-17-2018 at 12:51 PM.