Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinMoss Quote
So, I´m thinking very seriously to switch to the dark side (Sony )

Why should I stay with Pentax? I know that a new 50mm is coming but it doesn´t seem to have improvements in sharpness overall. And brands like Tamron and Sigma are making everything to win Sony´s market.
I like that the Sony A7iii is as versatile as it can get, nice photos, lenses, video, AF, fps and much more. The only downside that I´m concerned about is the the lenses are very pricey
The K-1ii is a beast when it comes to Pixel shift and weather sealed bodies, but the lack of new lenses and poor feedback is making me question everything.

Pentax is really slowing down in their AF and video aspects, Eye AF is a must for me plus those extra FPS. Plus, the body of the Pentax is heavy.

Pleaseee, somebody give me reasons to not switch to Sony and stay with Pentax
Sony ergonomics are TERRIBLE. And I, personally, would miss hyperprogram mode.

Cheers,
Cameron

12-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #107
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Sony ergonomics are TERRIBLE. And I, personally, would miss hyperprogram mode.

Cheers,
Cameron
Too late, I fear. The OP has not posted in a year and a half.

Steve
01-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #108

with the new monster adapter coming in, i am thinking of shifting from KR to A7III. Since i shot more of portraits and low light photography and with no service center available in my city its getting difficult to stick to pentax going further.
01-16-2021, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ajaya Quote
with the new monster adapter coming in, i am thinking of shifting from KR to A7III. Since i shot more of portraits and low light photography and with no service center available in my city its getting difficult to stick to pentax going further.
This thread was posted in 2018. Just saying.

The difference between the A7ii and K-1 for low light photography is minimal, both top out a close to 3200 ISO on DxO. The price difference means you could buy 2 K-1s or the price of an A7iii. That would get you one to use while your main body is out for repair, something you should have even if you do have a local repair centre. If you shoot a lot, regular maintenance is required and a back up body is a must.

The KR and is rated at 72, the A7iii and K-1 at 96.
Let's not pretend that those are reasons "Since i shot more of portraits and low light photography" that mean leaving Pentax.

Coming from a KR either will be a huge performance jump, and I really don' care what you buy. Just the reasons mentioned don't make sense.I suspect just some justification for a desired purchase. There are better ones. Eye AF, FPS, tracking etc. any one of which could be relevant to you. But overall IQ isn't one. There are no advantages to an A7iii that can't be overcome with knowing your camera and good technique for shooting Pentax glass. And current Pentax offerings in new glass are second to none.

Just please don't come back after you buy your Sony, and tell us Sony is better than Pentax, because you compared a K-r to an A7iii. We are definitely sick of that kind of nonsense.

Last edited by normhead; 01-16-2021 at 09:13 AM.
01-16-2021, 09:07 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This thread was posted in 2018. Just saying.

The difference between the A7ii and K-1 for low light photography is minimal, both top out a close to 3200 on DxO. The price difference means you could buy 2 K ones or the price of an A7iii. That would get you one to use while your main body is ou for repair, something you should have even if you do have a local repair centre.

The KR and is rated at 72, the A7iii and K-1 at 96.
Let's not pretend that those are reasons "Since i shot more of portraits and low light photography" that mean leaving Pentax.

Coming from a KR either will be a huge performance jump, and I really don' care what you buy. Just the reasons mentioned don't make sense.I suspect just some justification for a desired purchase. There are better ones. Eye AF, FPS, tracking etc. any one of which could be relevant to you. But overall IQ isn't one. There are no advantages to an A7iii that can't be overcome with knowing your camera and good technique.
100% in agreement Norm.
01-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Too late, I fear. The OP has not posted in a year and a half.

Steve
And hasn't posted since.

I guess a lot o people think we owe them one last list of reasons to buy Pentax on their way to another brand. The only real reason to stay with any brand is you bought good lenses. And those choices go on as you buy more bodies down the line. If you just bought consumer lenses and want to go up to $1k plus quality, rethinking what you want to invest in makes more sense. If you really want that Sony whatever lens, and the better Pentax glass isn't of interest, (the DFA *50, DFA*85, DFA* 70-200 are quite the arsenal,) then find the lens you love and buy the body that goes on it.

But it's difficult to watch any person make the mistake of thinking he can't get what he wants from any pro-level body.

Last edited by normhead; 01-16-2021 at 09:46 AM.
01-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ajaya Quote
I would guess that for almost everyone these days, for any consumer product other than maybe a motor vehicle, the odds of having a "service center available in my city" would be about a million to one.

What is a "monster adapter"?

01-16-2021, 02:10 PM - 3 Likes   #113
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And hasn't posted since.

I guess a lot o people think we owe them one last list of reasons to buy Pentax on their way to another brand. The only real reason to stay with any brand is you bought good lenses. And those choices go on as you buy more bodies down the line. If you just bought consumer lenses and want to go up to $1k plus quality, rethinking what you want to invest in makes more sense. If you really want that Sony whatever lens, and the better Pentax glass isn't of interest, (the DFA *50, DFA*85, DFA* 70-200 are quite the arsenal,) then find the lens you love and buy the body that goes on it.

But it's difficult to watch any person make the mistake of thinking he can't get what he wants from any pro-level body.
A lot of folks thinking of switching aren't even getting the most out of their existing gear, especially if they've got a recent model body and good lenses Some have difficulty admitting that to themselves, let alone others.

I'm no longer of a mind to invest effort convincing anyone to stay with Pentax (or any other brand). By the time someone posts that they're thinking of switching, I believe they've already made up their mind, whether they know it or not. These days, I'm inclined simply to remind them that no system is perfect and wish them well on their journey. A few who switch will indeed find a system that gels better with their requirements, preferences and expectations, but I'd willingly bet most will switch again two or three years down the road - whether it's because they're still not getting what they want or think they need (i.e. bad workman blaming tools), or perhaps because they just want new gear to play with and get excited about (which is valid enough, if that's what you enjoy). Buying new kit is easy if you have the money for it, and gives an immediate mood boost; using what you have to the best of its capabilities requires a lot more time and effort. Ultimately, I think the latter is far more rewarding, but that's just my personal opinion...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-16-2021 at 02:28 PM.
01-16-2021, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #114
Pentaxian

When I retired, I joined a couple of clubs. One a vintage automobile club, the other a photography club. In both cases I only attended a couple of meetings. Then my interest drifted and I found I just couldn't make the effort to make it to meetings.

Nothing wrong with either club, or me. I just found I am not a club person. Virtual club like the PF, yes. But not the other.

Anyway when at the photo club there were different types of people. Those that wanted to learn how to improve their photography and many of them had an entry DSLR. Those that liked the comradeship...and photography for that matter ...and they had varying levels of photographic expertise.

There were also a few that had big budgets, the latest in expensive camera equipment and always wanted to exhibit their latest work of art...one in particular not just wanted to exhibit, but also to unveil it, as he would have his latest and greatest on a stand and have a velvet cloth drawn over it...which he would then ...when the time was right...draw back the cover for all...who wanted...to see.

The couple of guys that had the very expensive equipment were never content. With either their photographic work (looked good to me) or their photographic equipment. I was told by another member who had been at the club for a few years that these two guys would about every 12-18 months trade in their top of the line Nikon/Canon/etc. equipment for the latest Canon/ etc/ /Nikon equipment . They were apparently very enthused about the latest Canon or Nikon or ? equipment for some months...till they came to the sad conclusion that for some reason this new equipment just wasn't cutting it, insofar as improving their photography. Think they felt , it must be the darn equipment...again.

Where did I fit ? I was that one and only, odd guy, who for some reason just stuck with obsolete, inadequate Pentax gear.
01-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
What is a "monster adapter"?
The world's first PK-FE autofocus transfer ring - PentaxForums.com

Which $ony body with Pentax glass via Monster AF adapter? - PentaxForums.com
01-16-2021, 05:50 PM - 4 Likes   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't get it. Most people buying a Sony (or any mirrorless) camera tell me they do it because of size and weight advantages. Then they buy an adapter and put their large, fast lenses on their new mirrorless and it's the same size and weight as their previous DSLR. They loose the only advantages MILCs give them when mounting lenses and adapters.
01-17-2021, 03:18 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I don't get it. Most people buying a Sony (or any mirrorless) camera tell me they do it because of size and weight advantages. Then they buy an adapter and put their large, fast lenses on their new mirrorless and it's the same size and weight as their previous DSLR. They loose the only advantages MILCs give them when mounting lenses and adapters.
And often they don't try to control weight through lenses.
IMO it's more about listening to marketing, and finding excuses to buy - rather than addressing a real need. And now marketing is changing, see the "lightweight" 0.5kg lens

Of course, there are always exceptions. My idea of "small and light" is something like the GR III, though.
01-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A lot of folks thinking of switching aren't even getting the most out of their existing gear, especially if they've got a recent model body and good lenses Some have difficulty admitting that to themselves, let alone others.

I'm no longer of a mind to invest effort convincing anyone to stay with Pentax (or any other brand). By the time someone posts that they're thinking of switching, I believe they've already made up their mind, whether they know it or not. These days, I'm inclined simply to remind them that no system is perfect and wish them well on their journey. A few who switch will indeed find a system that gels better with their requirements, preferences and expectations, but I'd willingly bet most will switch again two or three years down the road - whether it's because they're still not getting what they want or think they need (i.e. bad workman blaming tools), or perhaps because they just want new gear to play with and get excited about (which is valid enough, if that's what you enjoy). Buying new kit is easy if you have the money for it, and gives an immediate mood boost; using what you have to the best of its capabilities requires a lot more time and effort. Ultimately, I think the latter is far more rewarding, but that's just my personal opinion...
The sad thing is, a lot of these folks don' know what they don't know. And their egos won't let them put themselves in a situation where someone else would be telling them what to do, even if it's for their own good.

Last edited by normhead; 01-17-2021 at 07:50 AM.
01-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #119
Pentaxian

I suggest everyone follows the "big data" approach when internet users claim things. That is: connect the dots of their posts. You'll find out most of them just lie, day in and out.

A: "I need mirrorless because I am unhappy with tracking BIF"
A: "I bough a friggin expensive new camera because it is 2,71% smaller and 1,345% lighter"
A: "my favorite glass to use is the Sigma 150-600 sports"

B: "I absolutely need 4k60 video with top continuous AF"
B: "I currently use the K10D with used 18-55mm and some manual glass"

C: "I need the most fancy AF tracking possible"
C: [photo account shows: landscape, macro, city tours, occasional selfie]

D: "I need the best possible dynamic range and that other camera is 0,06 stops worse. Inacceptable"
D: "I usually apply heavy cropping to my images."
D: "I never print"

Generally you'll find close nobody who a) shows photos which obviously go to any gear limits and b) then complains in a forum about the gear limitations.

But you get hundreds of people who complain on the whining side over and over again that they "need" brandnew feature X, whilst not haveing any meaningful background in any genre which would need it. e.g. need 4k120p for shooting a cat on the sofa in the dark.
01-17-2021, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #120
Pentaxian

Then they buy an adapter and put their large, fast lenses on their new mirrorless and it's the same size and weight as their previous DSLR.
That's always been my biggest problem with FF mirrorless. Having a smaller kit would be, I think, an advantage for many photographers. But a camera is only as small as the lens you put on it. Big lenses on a small camera makes the camera a big kludge — a franken camera, a monster to scare children.

It's even more annoying when you're told: "Oh, you can use your old lenses on the mirrorless with an adapter." But the adapters make the lenses even bigger and heavier — and potentially more lopsided. Imagine attaching an adapter to the DFA 15-30 then trying to shoot with that lens on a razor thin mirrorless camera mounted to a tripod. That's not likely to end well. Some mirrorless cameras and systems are undoubtedly wonderful for a certain type of photographers, but mirrorless advocacy is a religion in the worst sense of the word. It's an implacable enemy to pragmatism and good sense.