Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 121 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-1ii VS Sony A7iii (Am I switching to the dark side?)

So, I´m thinking very seriously to switch to the dark side (Sony )

Why should I stay with Pentax? I know that a new 50mm is coming but it doesn´t seem to have improvements in sharpness overall. And brands like Tamron and Sigma are making everything to win Sony´s market.
I like that the Sony A7iii is as versatile as it can get, nice photos, lenses, video, AF, fps and much more. The only downside that I´m concerned about is the the lenses are very pricey
The K-1ii is a beast when it comes to Pixel shift and weather sealed bodies, but the lack of new lenses and poor feedback is making me question everything.

Pentax is really slowing down in their AF and video aspects, Eye AF is a must for me plus those extra FPS. Plus, the body of the Pentax is heavy.

Pleaseee, somebody give me reasons to not switch to Sony and stay with Pentax

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-08-2018 at 12:49 AM.
06-07-2018, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I love my K1. The AF is great and it is not too heavy. If you think Sony would be better, then jump ship. We'll welcome you back in a year or two.
06-07-2018, 08:55 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Switching is costly. So unless it would truly make a significant difference in photographs, switching is a waste of money.
hum.. more seriously, if you switch , it has two advantages:
1- Advantage to the camera industry: it will help fund the declining camera market
2- You'll get eye AF and 4K video
3- You will feel good for a first 3 weeks, and then it will be the same as your feeling of now with Pentax: your skills will be the limitation (again...)

Next year or so, Nikon or Canon will come up with better than Sony, then you might have to switch again. So, I would recommend to start saving money now

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-07-2018 at 09:12 PM.
06-07-2018, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All decisions have benefits and drawbacks. Make a list of each, decide from there. If you spend money on Sony, what do you have to give up to pay for it? If you have a lot of money, maybe nothing. If you have that much, keep both. If you work for a living, maybe keeping Pentax will allow you to go on vacation? Make a realistic budget of what the switch will cost. Don’t assume you’ll get top dollar for your Pentax gear, assume average.

If eye AF matters that much to you, get a Sony.

If pixel shift matters, stay Pentax.

06-07-2018, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinMoss Quote
This forum

But they're both great cameras, if you feel like what the A7 offers is more of what you need, then it's certainly worth considering / discussing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2018, 09:35 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Why should I stay with Pentax? I know that a new 50mm is coming but it doesn´t seem to have improvements in sharpness overall. And brands like Tamron and Sigma are making everything to win Sony´s market.
I like that the Sony A7iii is as versatile as it can get, nice photos, lenses, video, AF, fps and much more. The only downside that I´m concerned about is the the lenses are very pricey
The K-1ii is a beast when it comes to Pixel shift and weather sealed bodies, but the lack of new lenses and poor feedback is making me question everything.

Pentax is really slowing down in their AF and video aspects, Eye AF is a must for me plus those extra FPS. Plus, the body of the Pentax is Heavy as f*ck.

My 2 problems with the A7iii:
1) It’s an EVF camera, something I have problems using (if you don’t, consider yourself lucky).
2) It’s a Sony, frankly a company I have no faith in regarding long term product support.

However, I’m led to understand it is as excellent piece of electronics, which it should be as making devices is what Sony does.

I can understand a newcomer being leery about Pentax, though even with the present limited full frame lineup, they have everything covered from 15mm to 450mm in 4 (admittedly largish) zoom lenses of excellent quality and one nicely sized wide to tele zoom of very good quality. as well as a couple of excellent macro lenses.
06-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Why should I stay with Pentax? I know that a new 50mm is coming but it doesn´t seem to have improvements in sharpness overall.
Have you looked at the latest review of the DFA* 50mm f/1.4??
DFA*50/1.4 first review - PentaxForums.com

Exactly what more do you want to get from that lens???

06-07-2018, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the K1 original plus heaps of other Pentax bodies/glass but a few months back I bought a Sony A7Rii body. I love both. The Sony is way lighter and more compact, a boon for travelling and I really like its image stabilisation. With an adapter I can use my old Pentax glass with it as long as aperture can be controlled via the lens. And when I do, I can use the Sony A (aperture priority) setting for a measure of automation. I did more recently buy a Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 lens to go with it, but only to take advantage of full automation. Sadly, the Sony has no built-in GPS, no Astrotracer, and the flip-out viewfinder doesn't extend sideways like the K1. The Sony also has its own ARW files which have to be converted to DNG - no drama, just an irritating extra step.

As far as I'm aware, these advantages/disadvantages are still relevant to the K1-ii and the Sony A7Riii. It's very much horses for courses imho, but I'm a very happy dual user.
06-07-2018, 11:45 PM - 2 Likes   #9
CDW
Site Supporter

I own both. In terms of absolute image quality, the K1 is simply better, but I'm still able to make 40" wide prints with the SONY that are excellent. I added the SONY to provide 4K video and to provide a FF backup to the K1. My GH4 delivers great video, as well, but doesn't deliver still image quality that I want for a back up, and is poor in low light. All that said, the SONY lacks some key features the K1 delivers including a builtin intervalometer, GPS, pixel shift and of course, higher resolution.
06-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course one of the big advantages of the Sony is the probability of being able to try one out in the camera store before buying, which seems to me to be your next step, if not already taken - you'll probably know at that stage.
06-08-2018, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Pentax is really slowing down in their AF and video aspects, Eye AF is a must for me plus those extra FPS. Plus, the body of the Pentax is Heavy as f*ck.

You're a Pentax user and need reasons to stay with Pentax? That's starnge and shows you have already decided. Good luck with your Sony adventure. I hope you find what you're looking for in that system.
06-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It would be interesting to see examples of your work that you can point to, case by case explaining the what it is in those that you see as lacking and how the Sony (or other) system might possibly and markedly improve on or alleviate those issues.
06-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
Lens lineups are also something to consider. Sony has high quality 16-35/4, 24-105/4 and 70-200/4 and af wide angle primes. Pentax has for example fa ltd's.
06-08-2018, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Never mind what the brand offers, is there anything you are missing with Pentax?

Sony offers some things that Pentax doesn't, true, but personally I don't feel I need anything more. If I wanted a FF, it's there, if I wanted a fisheye, it's there, if I wanted a top-of-the-line 70-200/2.8 now that's available as well.
Video could be an argument, but for now I'm kinda fine with what I have.

Are you missing anything? that's the only relevant question, and the one only you can answer.
06-08-2018, 01:05 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Why should I stay with Pentax?...

Stay with Pentax if the lenses you need are available, you prefer an optical viewfinder rather than EVF, you like the way the equipment operates, and want a user-driven support network unlike any other (PentaxForums).

But Sony's equipment is excellent too. Choose whichever one suits you better