Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I finally got it to work by treating the manual lens as if was a auto-focus lens and holding in the lens release button. I've done this trick on my other cameras to make catch in focus work on a auto focus lens. For some reason my iST DS treats a manual lens as if it is a auto-focus lens. Weird.

06-12-2018, 06:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I've managed to find one scenario where the "Catch in Focus" feature doesn't work on my camera ... it's when the image is of insufficient contrast or too dimly lit for the camera to be able to determine what's in and out of focus. In this instance the Focus Confirmation Indicator symbol doesn't light at all, flashing or otherwise and the camera will not fire. This is true both with my *ist DS and my K-5.
06-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I've managed to find one scenario where the "Catch in Focus" feature doesn't work on my camera ... it's when the image is of insufficient contrast or too dimly lit for the camera to be able to determine what's in and out of focus. In this instance the Focus Confirmation Indicator symbol doesn't light at all, flashing or otherwise and the camera will not fire. This is true both with my *ist DS and my K-5.

Yes, I've ran into this many times in the field when the subject is in deep shadows and not well lit. I've got it to work sometimes by backing off the subject allowing more light in.