06-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax iST DS catch in focus?

Does the ist ds have catch in focus?

06-08-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good question. The "feature" was virtually unknown when I got my K10D in 2007 and may well have been discovered about that time as a side-effect of how the AF system on that camera worked if left turned on with manual focus lenses and AF-S. It attained official status a few years later on the K-7 with a menu item and mention in the manual. With any luck, those with *ist D series experience will chime in.

Steve
06-09-2018, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes it does; just tried it with my A50/1.4.
06-10-2018, 04:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I can't find a setting for that feature on my *istDS, which does have the latest firmware, v2.02. Could some explain how to invoke this, please?

06-10-2018, 04:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I can't find a setting for that feature on my *istDS, which does have the latest firmware, v2.02. Could some explain how to invoke this, please?

Same here. I had heard that it did, but I can't find a setting. I've tried it on mine and it does not work. Can someone tell us where the setting is located.
06-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

OK ... found it You need to have a manual focus lens and the camera set to AFS, NOT an auto-focus lens with the camera set to manual.

With the camera in AF and AFS chosen in the menus, fit a manual focus lens. You'll find the shutter won't release unless the lens is in focus. So, whilst maintaining the shutter button fully depressed, rotate the focus ring on the lens and as the subject comes into focus the shutter will release. Similarly, with a moving subject, with the lens set to an appropriate distance, just keep the shutter button depressed and when the subject is at the chosen distance the shutter will fire.

Easy when you know how !

Last edited by kypfer; 06-10-2018 at 09:13 AM. Reason: grammar
06-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You need to have a manual focus lens and the camera set to AFS
Yep, that is how catch-in-focus works.

Steve

06-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just tested my 1st DS, you must use continuous shooting drive mode, mine will not catch in focus on single frame shooting with my SMC A 50 1.7. Works fine on continuous.....
06-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK ... found it You need to have a manual focus lens and the camera set to AFS, NOT an auto-focus lens with the camera set to manual.

With the camera in AF and AFS chosen in the menus, fit a manual focus lens. You'll find the shutter won't release unless the lens is in focus. So, whilst maintaining the shutter button fully depressed, rotate the focus ring on the lens and as the subject comes into focus the shutter will release. Similarly, with a moving subject, with the lens set to an appropriate distance, just keep the shutter button depressed and when the subject is at the chosen distance the shutter will fire.

Easy when you know how !

I've tried this, it does not work on mine. All my other pentax's it will work, but not the iSt DS. I can also make it work on my others with a AF lens by holding in the lens release.

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 05:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
I just tested my 1st DS, you must use continuous shooting drive mode, mine will not catch in focus on single frame shooting with my SMC A 50 1.7. Works fine on continuous.....

This does not work on mine either.
06-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've been "playing" ... here's a few further details.

The lens in question must have a plain metal mount, not plastic or painted (unless it has the contacts, then it MUST be manual focus or have an AF/MF switch ON THE LENS). Fitting an AF-only lens and switching the camera body to MF doesn't work.

I've now tested the "feature" on my *ist DL2 (and my original *ist film camera). They all work the same. Camera switch set to AF and set to AFS in the Rec. menu. Yes I know the film camera has a switch for AFS but you get the idea.

With a metal-mounted lens fitted, (or one with contacts), the appropriate contacts on the camera body are connected so's the body "knows" there's a lens fitted. With a plastic or painted mount lens this condition isn't fulfilled and the feature doesn't work.

It would seem this "feature" has existed on *ist cameras since the beginning (and possibly before), just no-one ever commented on it. It's only now there's an option to disable the feature in the menus of the more modern bodies that a name has been allocated!
06-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yea, I know how it all works, I've been using it for many years now, especially for macro shots. I've scraped painted surfaces on extension tubes to make it work on them. But I can't figure why it does not work on my iST DS.
06-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both my 1st DS and 1st DL [both with latest firmware] will catch in focus with the program dial on auto, Tv, Av, [maybe more but that is all I tested], AF switch on AF [it will say MF in the viewfinder if the correct lens is installed], remote shutter release locked on [you can also hold the shutter release button down with your finger], FN menu drive mode [4 way controller] continuous shooting, main menu record mode-AF mode/ AF.S and with my SMC A 50 1.7 mounted. If I have the FN menu set to single frame shooting or the main menu AF mode set to AF.C they will not work. I just formatted [erased] the cards in both cameras after taking about 100 catch in focus shots!
06-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does not work on any setting on mine. It's a mystery to me, I thought it worked on all Pentax cameras. I've used it on my K5, K10, K200, K7, and K50. But it does not work on my iST DS.
06-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Yea, I know how it all works, I've been using it for many years now, especially for macro shots. I've scraped painted surfaces on extension tubes to make it work on them. But I can't figure why it does not work on my iST DS.
Is it possible there's a dirty contact on the camera body?
Firmware level might be another factor.
Without being able to replicate your issue I've run out of ideas, at least for the moment.
Thanks for bringing the subject up ... I've certainly learnt something useful.
Hopefully someone else may be able to help further
06-11-2018, 03:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blue stringer, one of the reasons I purchased my K-3II was that I could not get my D's to catch in focus! Then one day after useing catch in focus with my K-3II I retested my DS, like magic it was working....go figure.....