Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #16

I'm beginning to think the return spring for the iris has fallen off and jammed internally inside the lens. It obvious that from your further information that the contacts are fine. I believe the spring in that model is accessible be removing the mount, but I would advise against disassembly. The lens is not valuable enough to make it worthwhile.

The best solution is to file the claim (as you have done).

I would recommend a used Sigma 70-300 as a replacement and use the 18-55 kit lens to fill in the range if you want to keep the costs down.

Hope you have better luck in the future.

06-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hamiltom Quote
I'm beginning to think the return spring for the iris has fallen off and jammed internally inside the lens. It obvious that from your further information that the contacts are fine. I believe the spring in that model is accessible be removing the mount, but I would advise against disassembly. The lens is not valuable enough to make it worthwhile.

The best solution is to file the claim (as you have done).

I would recommend a used Sigma 70-300 as a replacement and use the 18-55 kit lens to fill in the range if you want to keep the costs down.

Hope you have better luck in the future.
I don't want to "kick someone when he is down", but a lesson all of us should learn from this adventure is to always try something as soon as you can, because there is a reasonable limitation on returns
06-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't want to "kick someone when he is down", but a lesson all of us should learn from this adventure is to always try something as soon as you can, because there is a reasonable limitation on returns
Agreed. But I believe the OP stated the shipping of the lens was delayed to him. He may still have a legitimate claim, depending on how "delayed" it was.
06-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Agreed. But I believe the OP stated the shipping of the lens was delayed to him. He may still have a legitimate claim, depending on how "delayed" it was.
In cases like this I wonder if the delay was accidental or not...

06-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Good luck since it sounds like a poor seller. Was it fulfilled by Amazon or just linked through Amazon? I am very leery if it is not a fulfilled by Amazon product because of slow shipping and lousy customer service like this.
It was sold and shipped by the seller directly.

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 12:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
In cases like this I wonder if the delay was accidental or not...
Actually, it's my bad, it wasn't delayed, I recalled incorrectly.
Order was placed 5/7 . It was shipped 5/9 . Received 5/11 . I notified the seller of the problem with the lens through the Amazon system on 6/8, and he did not reply.
Filed my refund request 6/10. Was denied by seller 6/11, and filed A-Z then. I hope Amazon will approve it. If not, my next step would be to file a claim for purchase protection under my credit card.
06-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Actually, it's my bad, it wasn't delayed, I recalled incorrectly.
Order was placed 5/7 . It was shipped 5/9 . Received 5/11 . I notified the seller of the problem with the lens through the Amazon system on 6/8, and he did not reply.
Filed my refund request 6/10. Was denied by seller 6/11, and filed A-Z then. I hope Amazon will approve it. If not, my next step would be to file a claim for purchase protection under my credit card.
That's why the general advice is to check items ASAP... hope you get your money back, otherwise you could still try and disassemble it. If it's only a loose spring as Hamilton speculated, then it could be a relatively easy fix.
06-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's why the general advice is to check items ASAP... hope you get your money back, otherwise you could still try and disassemble it. If it's only a loose spring as Hamilton speculated, then it could be a relatively easy fix.
I'm not mechanically inclined, so I think I would not attempt this. Hopefully A-Z claim will work.

06-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm not mechanically inclined, so I think I would not attempt this. Hopefully A-Z claim will work.
I would have probably enjoyed disassembling it than shooting with it... I bought a K-30 with the aperture control block failure just to repair it.
Keep us posted
06-11-2018, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would have probably enjoyed disassembling it than shooting with it... I bought a K-30 with the aperture control block failure just to repair it.
Keep us posted
I will. I may end up getting the money back from credit card claim and keep the lens if they don't ask for it back, in which case you could have it for the cost of shipping.
06-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I will. I may end up getting the money back from credit card claim and keep the lens if they don't ask for it back, in which case you could have it for the cost of shipping.
Hahaha thanks! though it might be a little bit impractical from San Jose California to Florence Italy (not Alabama, not Arizona, not Colorado, not South Carolina... I found out that there are more "Florence" in the USA than I thought! I was expecting to find only one... )
06-11-2018, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Florence Italy (not Alabama, not Arizona, not Colorado, not South Carolina... I found out that there are more "Florence" in the USA than I thought! I was expecting to find only one... )
When people came to the USA, they brought their old names with them. In my state Indiana, we do have a few "native" names such as "Miami" and "Mishawaka". We have names of persons such as "Lasalle" and "Lafayette". We have 'constructed' names such as my home town of "South Bend". But we have lots of names that we imported such as "Bremen", "London", "Mexico" and "Peru".
06-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When people came to the USA, they brought their old names with them. In my state Indiana, we do have a few "native" names such as "Miami" and "Mishawaka". We have names of persons such as "Lasalle" and "Lafayette". We have 'constructed' names such as my home town of "South Bend". But we have lots of names that we imported such as "Bremen", "London", "Mexico" and "Peru".
There even are some which are become more famous and bigger than the "originals": New York, New Orleans, Boston... I just didn't expect to find that many!
06-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hahaha thanks! though it might be a little bit impractical from San Jose California to Florence Italy (not Alabama, not Arizona, not Colorado, not South Carolina... I found out that there are more "Florence" in the USA than I thought! I was expecting to find only one... )
My wife will be there in the fall. You could hand if off and we could ship it when she returns... LOL. (Mostly kidding)
06-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My wife will be there in the fall. You could hand if off and we could ship it when she returns... LOL. (Mostly kidding)
Since it'll be in your hands, why don't you just keep it and try the disassembly yourself?

I already have an M 200/4 that needs fiddling with the infinity focus...
06-11-2018, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since it'll be in your hands, why don't you just keep it and try the disassembly yourself?

I already have an M 200/4 that needs fiddling with the infinity focus...
No time! I have no interest in a new hobby (fixing mechanically broken lenses) - I'm already converting lenses from SDM to screw drive for people. I have a day job too!