Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #16

I would vote for the K3. It is a solid performer for me. $500 is reasonable and you will love the extra features. The only downside is the extra weight. I really like the K3II, but I use the on board flash quite a bit and I already have the stand alone GPS unit.

06-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Isn't repairing your camera cheaper than options 2-4, Kev?
06-11-2018, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

I vote a K3/K3 II or a K70... Heck the KP is a nice body too.
06-11-2018, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevingt01 Quote
I’m leaning towards a used K3. From things I’m reading I’d expect to notice some advantages over the K30. Is it right to assume a little more room to push the RAW images given 14bit, and possibly better auto focus and metering?
I went from two K-30s to a K-3 and a K-S2. Definitely better AF and metering with the K-3, robust construction and a host of little things (like Dust Alert, quiet shutter, dedicated ISO button, fast frame rate etc etc). The major limitation with the K-3, for me, is its mediocre high-ISO performance. The K-S2 is also better than the K-30; the AF and metering improvements aren't as great as with K-3, the shutter is noisy, grip is less comfortable, but the flippy screen and compact size are very useful and image quality is very good.

K-70 seems to have all the virtues of the K-S2 with a better grip and a few other goodies like PixelShift, better image stabilization, 14 bit RAW, etc: https://tweaknhack.blogspot.com/2016/06/comparison-pentax-k-70-vs-pentax-k-s2.html Should be better high-ISO than the K-3, although the metering and AF won't be as good and the shutter will be noisier.

Last edited by Des; 06-11-2018 at 09:30 PM.
06-11-2018, 11:33 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

buy a good, used K-3 or K-3II and never look back... make the K-30 your fully-manual camera...
I was going to say this (I did exactly this) but I was beaten to it, so let's just go with +1
06-11-2018, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

1. and 2., then use the K-30 as backup body.

As for the red-colored screw-locking fluid edom31 talks about, an alcohol soaked cotton swab will be enough.
06-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #22

There is also the fellow in California who repairs the failure for $100 + shipping. Good reviews mostly. One or two at the most reported redoes. One report of failure after 15 months. One year warranty on the repair.

Or you can try contacting Ricoh US (not Precision). Ricoh US has been covering the repair out of warranty from time to time. Never hurts to ask. It certainly won't be covered if you don't ask.

06-12-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There is also the fellow in California who repairs the failure for $100 + shipping. Good reviews mostly. One or two at the most reported redoes. One report of failure after 15 months. One year warranty on the repair.

Or you can try contacting Ricoh US (not Precision). Ricoh US has been covering the repair out of warranty from time to time. Never hurts to ask. It certainly won't be covered if you don't ask.
Link for that CA guy? I am not planning to repair now (spent money for KP), but it would be nice in the future. P.S. My camera bought in Europe ~5 years ago, so no chance with US official repairs.
06-12-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #24
whafrog

I upgraded from a K-30 to a K-70 and am very happy with it. From what I've read, for image quality it's as good as the K3 (especially low light performance), and it will certainly last me until the K3 replacement comes out. For me, the difference between, the K-30 and K-70 was monumental, and after buying better lenses there was even more improvement. Yes, it's not as good at autofocus, etc, but with some practice even BIF becomes possible.
06-12-2018, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Evie Quote
Link for that CA guy? I am not planning to repair now (spent money for KP), but it would be nice in the future. P.S. My camera bought in Europe ~5 years ago, so no chance with US official repairs.
Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair
06-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you!
06-13-2018, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a K50 but sold it when I bought my K-1. Now my K3 is my back up camera. I will say it never really used the K50 enough when I had it. The K3 just feels better and has so much more to offer. The K50 was a nice camera but the autofocus could be frustrating at times compared to my K3. A K3 will be larger and heavier than your K30. A new K70 body is at a really good price now and that would be the actual replacement for your K30. If a new KP is out of your budget than a used K3 would probably be your best option. The K3ii has no built-in flash so that is something to keep in mind. With a used K3 you get, improved autofocus, faster frame rate, longer buffer, dual SD card slots, larger battery with longer life, ability to add a grip, better build, and more. There is one thing with a used K3 to keep in mind. The early K3's had a recall for the power failure button problem. So if come across a K3 with a low serial number, especially New Old Stock (NOS), I would find out if it was repaired. If it is a K3 with a higher shutter count it probably will not be an issue. I would be careful of any K3 with a low serial number and an extremely low shutter count.
06-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I had a K50 but sold it when I bought my K-1. Now my K3 is my back up camera. I will say it never really used the K50 enough when I had it. The K3 just feels better and has so much more to offer. The K50 was a nice camera but the autofocus could be frustrating at times compared to my K3. A K3 will be larger and heavier than your K30. A new K70 body is at a really good price now and that would be the actual replacement for your K30. If a new KP is out of your budget than a used K3 would probably be your best option. The K3ii has no built-in flash so that is something to keep in mind. With a used K3 you get, improved autofocus, faster frame rate, longer buffer, dual SD card slots, larger battery with longer life, ability to add a grip, better build, and more. There is one thing with a used K3 to keep in mind. The early K3's had a recall for the power failure button problem. So if come across a K3 with a low serial number, especially New Old Stock (NOS), I would find out if it was repaired. If it is a K3 with a higher shutter count it probably will not be an issue. I would be careful of any K3 with a low serial number and an extremely low shutter count.
Thank you for the advise about problematic power buttons. I ordered a “used - mint condition” K3 from Roberts Camera on ebay that arrives tomorrow. I’ll be sure to check the serial no. and shutter count. Do you know what a “low serial number” would be?
06-14-2018, 01:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Don't know about serial numbers, but you can check the manufacturing date in the EXIF. Knowing it was first announced on 7 October 2013, you can get a good idea of how recent it is by checking.
06-14-2018, 02:42 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevingt01 Quote
Thank you for the advise about problematic power buttons. I ordered a “used - mint condition” K3 from Roberts Camera on ebay that arrives tomorrow. I’ll be sure to check the serial no. and shutter count. Do you know what a “low serial number” would be?
I've ordered from Roberts Camera many times. Always been satisfied with them.