Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Don't know about serial numbers, but you can check the manufacturing date in the EXIF. Knowing it was first announced on 7 October 2013, you can get a good idea of how recent it is by checking.
Thanks. I used the shutter count and manufactured date tool on the forum. 190 shutter count and supposedly manufactured 2016-01-05. The K3 from Roberts Camera seems brand new in an old box..

Thanks for the advise everyone! I've only taken a few test shots with my rokinon 85, 40mm xs, and sigma 17-50, but so far I'm happy.

06-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a 2016 manufacture date I think you should be fine. I bought my K3 in 2014 and have never had an issue.
06-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #33

I had my K30 aperture failure a little over two years ago. Replaced it with a K3, and kept saying I'd get around to fixing the K30 soon. The K3 is an order of magnitude better than the K30, which was (and still is) a terrific camera body. I've shot over 10k images on my K3, and had my K30 at close to 20k prior to the aperture failure, so my frame of comparison is pretty good. You'll love the K3 if you get one. The autofocus is better, low light performance is better, and the options for adjustments are broader. I may try to find a good used K3 body to grab as a backup when my son steals my K30 this summer. If the K5 had support for the KAF4 mount, I'd consider one of those, but that's not happening. I might consider a KP iv the price comes down to reasonable, but right now, feature-wise, the sweet spot for me is the K3. Maybe a K3II, for the built in GPS, but I'm not sure.

On a different note, I recently got my K30 repaired by the folks at pentaxcamerarepair.com, and the service and communication were terrific. I'm happy with the repair and my son is equally happy to steal that old K30 body and one (or two, if he's lucky) of my lenses to take off to college this fall. For my $120, it was well spent. I'm hopeful the fix lasts a few years, and he can upgrade then.
06-21-2018, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
I had my K30 aperture failure a little over two years ago. Replaced it with a K3, and kept saying I'd get around to fixing the K30 soon. The K3 is an order of magnitude better than the K30, which was (and still is) a terrific camera body. I've shot over 10k images on my K3, and had my K30 at close to 20k prior to the aperture failure, so my frame of comparison is pretty good. You'll love the K3 if you get one. The autofocus is better, low light performance is better, and the options for adjustments are broader. I may try to find a good used K3 body to grab as a backup when my son steals my K30 this summer. If the K5 had support for the KAF4 mount, I'd consider one of those, but that's not happening. I might consider a KP iv the price comes down to reasonable, but right now, feature-wise, the sweet spot for me is the K3. Maybe a K3II, for the built in GPS, but I'm not sure.
I replaced my K-50 with a K-3 and have had a similar experience. I loved my K-50 and love my K-3 even more.

06-21-2018, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I replaced my K-50 with a K-3 and have had a similar experience. I loved my K-50 and love my K-3 even more.
Almost exactly the same here. My K3 is my main camera and my K30 is used for playing with manual lenses (even though the k3 would probably be better) so I get to use both
06-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you'll be very happy with the K3. I moved from the K30 to K3, and it was a good decision.