Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #1

Live view - useful application

For those of you familiar with Astro-photography, you know how awkward and difficult it is to focus through the viewfinder when doing direct focal photography...

Turn Live view on and Bingo! I use my K20D for direct focal photography on my Celestron CPC1100 11 inch Schmidt-Cassegrain (equivalent to more than a 2800mm telephoto). Live View is a blessing!

Gene

09-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I must say that the Live View is growing on me slowly as well.

It is really good for Macro photography as you can zoom in on a section and really nail the focus.
09-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gene:

Thanks for this post---it has gotten real tiring to hear all the complaints about the K20's live view. So it is refreshing to have this post. I have never done astrophotography, but I sure do enjoy using the live view in some Macro situations.

Best
09-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Don't tell anyone i said this .... *eye ball*
I love using live view to do ground level shots into cavities (like rock formations etc) and to make sure my focus is indeed when I don't want to lie on the ground looking like Im having convulsion. I love live view for that

09-12-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
when I don't want to lie on the ground looking like Im having convulsion.
That's one of my favourite parts of photography.

Stop being lazy!
09-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies. I am relatively new to this forum (as my low number of posts can attest) and honestly, I am not a big fan of them. I like browsing around to find information that could be helpful to me, but one thing I quickly noticed is the over-use of the word "crap" by many posters when describing some of their gear and their qualities/flaws... I made a choice 30 years ago (yeah, I'm an old fart...) to go with Pentax gear and never looked back. Got everything from the venerable Spotmatic to K1000 to ME to LX to MX to PZ1p to *istD and now K10/20D. I've shot everything from weddings, sports, indoor, outdoor, on the sea, in the desert, in the jungle, parties (some really bad ones too...), during riots, civil wars, landscapes, portraits, some formal, some much less formal, etc...

The point I am trying to make is that, yes, the Pentax system has it's flaws, many questionable decisions (both technical and commercial) made by the company in the last 15 years or so. I HAVE LEARNED TO LIVE WITH AND ADAPT TO THESE FLAWS!

Everytime Pentax came with a new model that had some new features that could be of interest to me, well... Some people in these forums call the 540 flashgun "crap"... To me, it's another blessing with it's wireless control capabilities and power...

End of rant.

Gene
09-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah Gene!

Thanks and well said.

Got to go now; time to shot.

09-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #8

Finally some great uses for the live view function.. I was never impressed with it, so I basically ignored it.. Now I will have to go out and try it again