Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 01:37 PM - 17 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Saying "Thank You" just doesn't seem enough!

My good friend and former motorcycle-riding buddy, Bob LoBianco came over early this afternoon and brought me THIS! I got him interested in photography a few years ago and he ended up with quite an arsenal of Pentax cameras and lenses
He had one camera in particular that I've always coveted, and I looked high and low for one just like it, but those who have them just aren't selling them, so I had to "make do" with my black one and my white one!

Anyway, Bob came over and presented me with HIS gorgeous red Pentax K-50, saying that he knew how much I always liked it and he never used it. He has a duplicate K-50 in white, so he's not without a camera, just not a RED one!

Somehow, just saying "THANK YOU" just didn't seem like enough. I offered to pay him for it, but he wouldn't have it!

I'm Gobsmacked!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-13-2018, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a great friend and gift. Congratulations!
06-13-2018, 01:56 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It'll go 10mph faster in RED..

Nice gift.
06-13-2018, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find the black and white one is quite attractive, and red looks nice too. What is that lens?, I'm guessing 55-300 but the short petal hood looks wrong.
There were allsorts of colours for these, I bet a yellow one would be really stonking.

06-13-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A real fuoriserie! it's likely to turn some heads...
06-13-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
It'll go 10mph faster in RED...
Maybe built-in flash in the red one can do HSS?
06-13-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
What is that lens?, I'm guessing 55-300 but the short petal hood looks wrong.

The lens is a Pentax DA 18-250mm ED AL (IF). I haven't had it very long and it hasn't seen much use, but what few images I've shot with it were pretty impressive. Sharp enough to suit me and it's a great "vacation lens." Heavy, but he's not my brother!

06-13-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Nice. Reminds me of my red K-50. It's a lot easier to shoot people with the red one. It's like everyone & their grandma want to pose in front of it.

On the other hand, everybody gets all wary about having their picture taken with the black one. They think it's some super professional camera or something. Hahaha!
06-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is something nice about sharing camera kit. I virtually gave away a Fuji hs20exr to an impoverished mate with a new family and no camera (virtually=he insisted on paying so I beat him down to £35). I also have a friend in Spain who shoots Nikon but only has AF zooms so I got him a manual focus tokina 28mm f2.8. I have had plenty of bits of luck and there is nothing nicer than seeing someone you care about really happy thanks to a random act of kindness. You are clearly a good friend to him because he did a lovely thing as for your new baby, wow! No wonder you coveted it (I have a blue K30 and a black K3 for when I want to look like I know what I am doing )
06-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's a great friend! So awesome of him. Now let's see what this can do, I'm expecting lots of pictures
06-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
It'll go 10mph faster in RED.
And get more tickets. Your insurance premium will go up, too...

Chris
06-13-2018, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I suppose this might have something to do with the old adage, "What goes around, comes around." I have a lady friend who was Wowed over some of the flower photos I had taken. She had no camera other than her cell phone, so I gave her a Pentax Kx "Storm Trooper" I had. It was virtually brand new, with less than 800 SA, still in the original box. It came with the 18-55mm kit lens and I added a Pentax-F 70-210mm lens so she would have a pretty good focal length range available to her. I put it all a very nice camera case and wrapped a pink ribbon around it.

Bless her heart, she actually got tears in her eyes when I presenter her with the gift. Sometimes the most pleasure comes from giving rather than the receiving.... unless it's a Fire Engine Red K-50!

---------- Post added 06-13-18 at 06:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's a great friend! So awesome of him. Now let's see what this can do, I'm expecting lots of pictures

Bert, virtually all the photos I've posted were taken with a K-50. A few from several years back were from a K2000, my first-ever DSLR. It served me well and I still have one, just for S&G's. It's the camera I lend to my granddaughter when she visits.

I considered "moving up" to a K-3 or K-1, but I really fell in love with my K-50 and it will do anything.... and more.... than I would ever find myself wanting to do. I never was into "Keeping up with the Joneses.
06-13-2018, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
My good friend and former motorcycle-riding buddy, Bob LoBianco came over early this afternoon and brought me THIS! I got him interested in photography a few years ago and he ended up with quite an arsenal of Pentax cameras and lenses
He had one camera in particular that I've always coveted, and I looked high and low for one just like it, but those who have them just aren't selling them, so I had to "make do" with my black one and my white one!

Anyway, Bob came over and presented me with HIS gorgeous red Pentax K-50, saying that he knew how much I always liked it and he never used it. He has a duplicate K-50 in white, so he's not without a camera, just not a RED one!

Somehow, just saying "THANK YOU" just didn't seem like enough. I offered to pay him for it, but he wouldn't have it!

I'm Gobsmacked!
I have a blue K-30, which allows me to take casual pictures casually, because no one takes it seriously.
06-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a blue K-30, which allows me to take casual pictures casually, because no one takes it seriously.
Until you Pick up your KP!
Nice gift Dewey! It looks sharp in Red! And the 18-250 is a great walk around lens.
06-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Until you Pick up your KP!
Nice gift Dewey! It looks sharp in Red! And the 18-250 is a great walk around lens.
The KP has a tilting LCD. When my brother is photographing around people, he holds his camera near waist level with the LCD pointing up, on the theory that his subjects will think he's just fiddling with the controls.