Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TYOsborn Quote
I'm glad you have both the K200 and K20 because that makes you just the person to ask. I have the K200 and have been having lots of fun with it, but now I'm being drawn to the K20. What are the advantages of the K20 besides the megapixels and the live view? Thanks in advance!
I also have only the K200D, but know enough about the K20D to express an opinion.

For me, neither live view nor more pixels hold the slightest interest. The biggest reason to upgrade would be the promise of less noise, if it really pans out - images I've seen are kind of inconclusive to me. I'd really love to see some side by side. Next biggest reason would be the bigger viewfinder, which would help a little with MF. Next biggest reason would be the extra buttons & dials, if you are the type of photographer who finds himself often using the menus on your K200D. I'm not - the only menu item I ever use is the one to format my card. But the shortcut to change ISO (OK + dial) would be nice. But for me, these are not worth hundreds of dollars or the extra size/weight or putting up with proprietary batteries or much larger file sizes & the accompanying demands on processing.

09-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #17

Thanks. I do appreciate the "chime in". I hear so much about the K20, but no one seems to say much about the K200. I started to assume it must be the "cat's meow" over the K200. I've only had the K200 for about 3 months so I really shouldn't be buying another without taking this one for a full test run.
09-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TYOsborn Quote
Thanks. I do appreciate the "chime in". I hear so much about the K20, but no one seems to say much about the K200. I started to assume it must be the "cat's meow" over the K200. [...]
I had the exact same impression myself and it was one of the reasons why I upgraded. I still don't have a full explanation as to why there seem to be more reviews of the K20d than its little brother. One things I realized is the K200d is heavily based on the K10d. And there are tons of reviews about that one, most of them superlative from what I understand.
10-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I just ordered a K200D as a backup to my K10D; I'm supposed to be getting it tomorrow. One thing in particular that I'm interested in seeing is how the K200D feels in my hands vs. the K10D. My hands are smallish, so it wouldn't surprise me if the K200 fit them better than the K10D.

Part of the reason I went on ahead and got the K200 over the K20 at this point is that I have the cash for the K200 and I get to keep the K10 (for now). Another reason is this:
PENTAX Photo Gallery
Keitha posts more on the dpreview Pentax SLR forum, so go over there if you want to see more of her posts. I figure that if she get the quality of pics she gets from her K200D (never mind her very impressive kit of lenses!), then with more practice, why can't I? What's funny is that the main reason she chose the K200 over the K20 was the batteries!

My somewhat warped mind got to thinking--what happens if I like the K200 so much that when the K300 comes out, I sell the K10 and get it? That would be a hoot!

Heather

10-02-2008, 02:40 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Here are my finding after two months of K200D usage. Having used only Cannon powershot things in the past, so just a beginner here. I use my camera for mostly landscape shooting so I usually use MF all the way.

+Build quality (no loose buttons or memcard slots etc.)
+robust thing (our doggie started chewing the rubber handle and dragged it around a bit, still works)
+AA batteries
+Ergonomic to handle
+Weather sealing (still works after shooting in the rain with 18-55mm kit lens)
+Resistant to humidity (handles rapid cycles between subzero and indoor temps)
+Picture quality with low ISO
+Easy to use metering system, spot meter seems to be very accurate
+Can use cheap old manual lenses
+SR with old manual lenses
+Trap focus (I find this very usefull for quick portraits with manual lenses)

-Viewfinder is small which makes my eyes hurt in the long run
-LCD screen eats batteries like nuts (like to investigate shots carefully after shooting)
-only 3 shot exposure bracketing (HDR is very usefull in harsh lightning conditions)
-Noise starting from ISO400
-a bit sluggish AF? Well I only have screw driven kit lenses (18-55 + 50-200)
10-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Although I've only had this camera for just over a week, a few first impressions might be of value:
  • I played around with the Nikon D60 and Olympus 510 before I played with the K200D. What struck me was how it felt natural in my hands. There was mass and ergonomics straight away. The others just lacked something....
  • I got it home and immediately started playing. I'm a techie, so manuals are usually a last resort. Most of the menus and buttons were pretty clear without any reference to manuals.
    There were some functions that needed clarification, but weren't to hard to work out.
  • The AF was actually pretty fast, and in general quite reliable - even in fairly low light. I know people bang on about it being 5 years old, but seriously, unless your a sports or super active kid shooter, do you really need that grunt?
    And I came from the manual film SLR days where focusing through the viewfinder on matte glass was standard. This is luxury, and can be tweaked if you think its a little off (which I have seen once or twice). If you really want, just set the focus to spot and it will work well
  • Took it out on the weekend to some markets and then later around our garden. In the real world what I saw was:
    • how fast and easy it was to get an image
    • it felt comfortable to hold - even after 2 hours of wandering around. That's despite some of the other entry level dSLRs being 200g lighter - so what?
    • I could see what I was photographing (unlike those useless P&S screens) and the viewfinder information was visible in full sunlight
    • The LCD told me what I needed to know in full sunlight
    • Adjusting image settings was a snap - I wanted an image of some iron vine leaves, and the chosen aperture was f3.5 - too shallow for the depth of the object - a quick tweak of the e-dial (with my eye still to the viewfinder) and it wound up to f16 - no problems. A flick of the preview dial confirmed I had the right aperture (you can choose between digital and viewfinder)
  • Around the garden, even the 18-55mm Mk II lens was fine for close ups.
    I like a bit of macro work (I'm looking for either a fast 100mm macro lens or extension tubes), but the 25cm focus was fine. A shot of Grevillea flower close up gave me a surprise on my computer afterward - I'd captured an ant about 2mm long on it, and could see it quite clearly - check out this image (I've reduced it to 800kb - so its not as big as the original!)
  • I could reliably use the inbuilt flash at close distances for fill flash by adjusting it down 1EV - so no overexposure
  • On downloading my images to the computer and viewing in Photoshop I noticed:
    • the images downloaded quickly
    • colour renditions was pretty good - not as bad as many reviewers have whinged about
    • RAW files were better for playing with, but the equivalent JPG was still pretty good

Since the big play I've taken my K200D to work to get some images for our web pages - having tried the same with my Canon PowerShot 710. Frankly, there was no comparison. The Canon just couldn't capture the scenes I wanted with as much control.

So there you go - one and bit weeks of playing with my K200D and I'm in love with photography again! Can't wait to get out and play some more (I suspect my wife will kill me though )

I defer to all the long term users who've already responded naturally, but I suspect your friend will be very happy!
10-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #22

I have a question. If you had to pick between the K200D and the K20D which one would you pick?
10-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your friend has the money for the k200d + 18-250mm combo I think he'd be better of getting the k20d with the kit lens and a sigma/tamron 70-300mm lens. You can find a good used copy of the 70-300mm lens for about $100 in the forum's marketplace. That's what I'd do.

10-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hotrod Quote
I have a question. If you had to pick between the K200D and the K20D which one would you pick?
Depends entirely on all the factors you've seen listed here and on countless other threads. If you like bigger cameras better than smaller ones, K20D. If you like smaller, K200D. If you like proprietary Li-Ion batteries better than AA, K20D. If you like AA better, K200D. If you need 14MP resolution, K20D. If you'd rather save a few hundred bucks, K20D. And so on. I mean, clearly, the K20D is a step up in most ways. That doesn't mean its advantages are worth the price to everyone, or that they don't come with potential downsides (bigger size body, bigger size files, etc) that might be more important than the advantages themselves.

Anyhow, that said, I chose K200D, because I like having money, because I like AA's, I like smaller cameras, and I didn't need the features the K20D offered over the K200D.
10-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Depends entirely on all the factors you've seen listed here and on countless other threads.

Anyhow, that said, I chose K200D, because I like having money, because I like AA's, I like smaller cameras, and I didn't need the features the K20D offered over the K200D.
Right on the money. I moved from the *DS and i am pretty happy with all but the eye strain when using MF lenses (I have the magnifying eyecup on order), and the increased size of the body (well that was before the K-M). Everybody uses their camera for different things.

My estimation of the K200D is that it is excellent, giving me good quality for very little money.

I am in the same boat with wildlife and wanting to get a decent quality zoom without paying *prices. It seems odd that the 55-300mm would eschew at least SDM or (preferably) weather sealing. Pentax still is very light in this area for the "mid-range" market, and that would be my only reservation in recommending the K200D.
10-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #26

is the noise in Pentax K200d in ISO 400 onward very noticeable?
I am planning to buy it as i am not happy with my current pro-consumer iso noise...

Thank You
10-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlpk007 Quote
is the noise in Pentax K200d in ISO 400 onward very noticeable?
I am planning to buy it as i am not happy with my current pro-consumer iso noise...
Well, it's a lot better than any non-DSLR, that's for sure. It's around average for a DSLR, I figure. Here are some recent pictures:

Dave Valentin @ ISO 1600, M100/2.8:

David Amram @ ISO 1600, M135/3.5:

Hazel Miller @ ISO 800, M100/2.8:

St. Cajetan's @ ISO 800, M28/2.8

Uh, some kind of flower @ ISO 400, M100/2.8:

Note these were all taken with old manual focus lenses that cost under $100 each and work just fine with shake reduction!