Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ME Super with dead meter

I've looked at older posts about this, but here's my story. Bought an ME Super at a charity sale. Camera looks fairly clean for its age, but when I bought new batteries and placed them in correctly, the light meter does not work.

I'm not handy to the point of opening the camera up to fix it so...

I'm guessing even a basic camera repair is in the $175 range? Am I way off? If that's the case, it's not worth it.

Your thoughts? Should I just give up the idea of using this camera?

I bought it with a 50mm Auto Chinon 1:1.9 lens - guess I could always use that on my K3II.

06-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could still use it with an external meter, I guess?

Of course you used the proper kind of batteries?
ME Super | The K-Mount Page

And you are super-sure you inserted them the correct way (positive side first)? I know you wrote that, but we just had a similar case on the Italian forum, with an Me Super (and that was it). And are they new and full? Are the contacts inside the battery compartment oxidized (that's quite common)? (just helping troubleshooting the issue, in the hope the meter isn't broken)

The Auto Chinon looks like a very nice lens, albeit quite inexpensive.
06-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Question...does it work in M mode, non-metered? If so, you have the option of non-metered use. If not, you are limited to 1/125s and "B".

Steve
06-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I double checked how to place the batteries in (inserted with the wording on the bottom - tried it both ways anyway), and that I had the correct batteries (A76). Connections look clean. There were no batteries in the camera when I got it, so I think it wasn't stored with batteries in it. I mentioned that I just bought the batteries so I assume they are full.

I don't see lights for the meter in Auto or M mode. The M mode is confusing to me because I don't know how I can set the shutter speed. How would I know it's working in M mode if I can't see what shutter speed it's using?

Right now, when I take a photo it does seem to always be shutter speed 125X no matter what mode the camera is set in. I'm sure I'm missing something. By the way, I am half-way depressing the shutter which would normally make the meter work in case that's your next question. :-)

An external meter might be the way to go but I think I'm out of my depth with this camera. I have an old film Minolta that was my camera so I might be better off using it for film and make this body into a clock. But I really love the look and size of the ME Super. Thanks for your help!

06-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I don't see lights for the meter in Auto or M mode. The M mode is confusing to me because I don't know how I can set the shutter speed. How would I know it's working in M mode if I can't see what shutter speed it's using?
From this and the rest of this post, it appears that either power is not getting to the main board or the main board is dead. An external meter will be no help except to determine appropriate aperture at 1/125s. BTW, test the batteries before you give up on the camera. Another thing to consider for the future is that while the A76 alkaline cells will work in a pinch, S76 silver cells are preferable and are the specified batteries for the ME Super. While they both work the same when fresh and fully charged, alkaline batteries change voltage with discharge and are not dependable for use in your camera.

Steve
06-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Energizer #357's are in my K1000 and both Super Programs.

Clarence