Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K5 and K3II. The difference is obvious.
I do lots of macro with the K3II and manual ring flash.
It feels good - which could be the difference for you, particularly with a fairly heavy loadout on the camera - big lens, flash etc. You can see my images on Flickr, it's a mix of K5 and K3II. I still use both, carrying two cameras in the field now.

06-15-2018, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
In short - IMO a great and not too heavy camera that I love. It’s going to be a hard competition for my K-1
Every couple of months I go through the pros and cons of whether or not I should replace my K-3 with a K-P. For one thing, it's price is such that I'm not sure I'll want to pay fo the next flagship model. I could buy 2 K100Ds or K-x cameras for the price of a K-P, it's really not an entry level camera. And, I'd really like the Pixel Shift for macro, which my K-3 doesn't have as well as the better high ISO performance for keeping my shutter speed up for birds etc. But bottom line, cameras are expensive, the amount to be gained by going for a newer model gets to be les and less relevant all the time.

The bottom line fo rme is from 100-500 ISO where I do most of my shooting a K-3 is as good as a K-P. IQ wise the K-P is not a lot different than a K-5. It's going to be hard to pull the trigger, on anything. When I bought my K-3 my big disappointment was in Imaging Resources tests, detail that was visible on a D800 wasn't visible with a K-3. The K-1 has solved that, and that seriously reduces the requirements for my next APS-c camera.

Last edited by normhead; 06-15-2018 at 09:20 AM.
06-15-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

The big complainers about battery life are using them in temperatures well below what the specifications call for in use. (Well below -10C)I have used mine is less than that and if you add the battery grip, it is not an issue. In milder weather, the battery life is only a little less than my KP due to the chip that helps high ISO images and 5 axis shake reduction. Extra batteries are cheap, better images and a solid magnesium framed body are just well priced. My wife is jealous of my KP because I love it so much.
06-15-2018, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Every couple of months I go through the pros and cons of whether or not I should replace my K-3 with a K-P. For one thing, it's price is such that I'm not sure I'll want to pay fo the next flagship model. I could buy 2 K100Ds or K-x cameras for the price of a K-P, it's really not an entry level camera. And, I'd really like the Pixel Shift for macro, which my K-3 doesn't have as well as the better high ISO performance for keeping my shutter speed up for birds etc. But bottom line, cameras are expensive, the amount to be gained by going for a newer model gets to be les and less relevant all the time.

The bottom line fo rme is from 100-500 ISO where I do most of my shooting a K-3 is as good as a K-P. IQ wise the K-P is not a lot different than a K-5. It's going to be hard to pull the trigger, on anything. When I bought my K-3 my big disappointment was in Imaging Resources tests, detail that was visible on a D800 wasn't visible with a K-3. The K-1 has solved that, and that seriously reduces the requirements for my next APS-c camera.
The reasons that seduced me to buy the KP were I wanted an APSC camera that fully works with the DA55-300PLM and the great price of 899,- € (9% rebate pentax summer promotion plus 10% off for a second event promotion code) - a very good price in europe. I couldn‘t resist. If I remember right I seven years ago payed 1249,- for the K-5. I’d also say IQ wise until now very competitive. But the KP / K-1 show significantly better IQ at ISO 3200/6400 IMO and have better autofocus and image stabilizer. I‘m not sure if I could have made this 1/6s image with the K-5.

Pentax KP • DA55-300PLM@135 • ISO100 • f/4.5 • 1/6s handheld

06-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drimik Quote
... In case of KP I heard about problems with battery in low temperatures and problem with weather-sealing....
Are you planning macro photography in an Arctic winter, outdoors? I read lots of reviews which cane this or that camera for its inability to do something that doesn't interest me or I've never done - the Sputnic R559-zlxq IV doesn't record k-LOG jpg files nor can it track elephants in the Serengeti without a separate GPS R-bracket, so we've marked it down to 67%. You have to decide what you want and choose accordingly, although if it was me I'd go for the K-3ii on its proven record. If you must spend money, spend it on lenses.
06-15-2018, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I've been tempted by the KP (more than the K-1 surprisingly to me) the more I hear so many exaulting it's handling, but I have no complaints about the K-3's handling, or it's battery life, or it's IQ, or it's size/weight, or really much of anything really, so Ive held off. But the difference you'd experience coming from a KX will be very marked and apparent. The KP however very much competes with the mirrorless bodies from other manufacturers yet remains a bonefied DSLR - no small feat. I personallly promised myself that I was done with upgrades after the K-3 for a very long time until *significant* improvements were realized across the board, and as good as the KP sounds that's still not the case. But if I had a K-5 or KX... a different story. I'm sticking to my guns - get one for me.
06-15-2018, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

I have no experience with the KP.

In the past I have owned a K3, and two different K3ii cameras.

Last week I purchased a brand new K-70 with an 18-55 kit lens on Ebay for $495 !!

Yesterday I took about 100 macro photos with a few of my favorite macro lenses on the K-70. I find that I'm extremely happy with my new K-70, and I like it better than either the K3 or K3ii. The tilt screen on the back of the K-70 that the K3ii does not have is a must have feature for me when doing macro photography. Feel free to check out my K-70 review here on PF.

You might want to consider the K-70. Check out if its' feature set meets your needs. I compared the K-70 to the KP and decided that the cheaper K-70 had all of the features that I needed.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-15-2018 at 11:21 AM.
06-15-2018, 11:13 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
- or should I wait for K-3III ?
No. The months/years you'll lose are invaluable.
06-15-2018, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
Thank you all for comments.

SSGGeezer - know I understand why my wife is against KP

I am looking yet on additional grips (I have never owned any but it would be nice to try later on...):
- In case of K3 replacements of D-BG5 grips are quite cheap or used one are available too
- for KP only original I see which is quire expensive

Currently in Poland we have prices for cameras (best what I found):
- K3ii 3450 PLN = 935 USD
- KP 3750 PLN = 1015 USD
- k70 2330 PLN - 630 USD

I have to take decision soon - my wife is going to be out of patience (for me)
06-15-2018, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
grispie - Is there a difference in AF speed between K3ii and KP? I thought that is it the same.

rod_grant - I was trying all 3 of them (In PL all 3 of them are in box). After couple of minutes in shop my palm was tired... In case of bigger lenses it is possible to keep hand of them but with small one like my DA 35 it will not work.
The AF on both cameras are the same.

Given what you explained, I would recommend you get the K3ii. The best shoe, glove, or car in the world is useless if it doesn't fit your foot, hand, or body.

The price on a new K3ii is excellent right now and is expected to be replaced by a model that will be much more expensive.
The K3ii was first released in April 2015, so it's not that old, and being the flagship top model in 2015, the technology and build quality will last you for many, many years.

Pentax KP vs Pentax K-3 II Detailed Comparison
06-15-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The tilt screen on the back of the K-70 that the K3ii does not have is a must have feature for me when doing macro photography.
You wouldn't believe how many time I've found a macro in the woods I need the tilt screen for. So, I just say," I'll bring the K-1 tomorrow" and walk by it. That sometimes means a missed shot. As a result I go out with my K-1, bigger, heavier, less magnification much less magnification and DoF at the minimum focusing distance , but, it has a tilt screen.
06-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #27

Original Poster
normhead - yes, I was thinking about it. That is something what is a plus for K70 or KP.
06-15-2018, 01:07 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

normhead - yes, I was thinking about it. That is something what is a plus for K70 or KP.
You can't go wrong image-wise with any of the three. High ISO it is the KP and if you are looking at K-3II, the difference in price tells me "go for the KP." If your budget is tight, go for the K-70 and the D-FA100 Macro and then if and when the K-3 replacement comes out, you can sell the K-70 at a small loss and go for the APSC flagship. I made a choice to go with a new KP even though I could have saved a few hundred dollars going for the K-3II. I spent even more on the battery grip but I do not regret either purchase.
06-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #29

Good Luck!

I went from a K-x to K-70 about 1 1/2 years ago. I was happy with my K-x, but the K-70 is a much better camera, and I enjoy using it a lot more. Regarding the K-70 versus the KP in terms of the form factor, I personally like the size and shape of the K-70 much more. I have medium/large hands, and even with the largest KP grip, it's awkward for me to handle. I actually also like the weight of the K-70, and balance when using it with my favorite lenses. In terms of build quality, both the K-3ii and KP are superior to the K-70, but I take good care of my stuff, and I haven't been disappointed by the K-70 in this regard at all. I don't see why it won't easily last 7+ years of normal use. On the other hand, if there's a great new K-3iii out there in the future, I'll probably consider an upgrade/addition when it becomes available.

Good luck with your decision!
06-15-2018, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Compared to the K-3, the image quality is better from the KP, especially at higher ISO.

As for handling - I recently bought the battery grip for the KP and it completely transforms the camera. I would only ever take it off now if I were travelling *very* light with only DA Limited lenses.