Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

I upgraded from a K-x to a K3ii right after the K3ii was released a few years ago. It was a massive improvement. From the robustness of the build, to the quality of the images I was able to create, I couldn't have been more pleased with the upgrade. The AF was much improved from the K-X, although I understand that the KP's AF is even better than the K3ii. I don't think you can do wrong with either one of them. The missing flash was never a problem for me, since the rare occasion that I want to use a flash I'm using it off camera. Though I never used the astrotracer feature, I've heard that it performs very well and is much easier to use than an external unit. Pixelshift is another feature that persuaded me to make the purchase, and is one feature that I miss with my new camera. Again, I think that you'll be happy with either one compared to the KP.

06-16-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Handling is very important. I loved the KS-1 but found the K3 too heavy and awkward for me, and was very happy to sell it.

So it isn’t surprising that I love the KP. I prefer the middle grip, though the small grip reminded me more of the S1 which essentially doesn’t have a grip.

The funny thing is that I went to a photo show right after the K1 came out. My intention was to go, handle it and convince myself that it was too big and heavy for me, especially considering that I had given up on the K3. Unfortunately I found the K1 very well balanced and pretty comfortable for me to handle, in spite of its size and weight.

Get which one feels more comfortable for you. I’m finding I’m using the K1 less now that I have the KP, but if you aren’t comfortable with it, don’t buy it.
06-16-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Handling is very important. I loved the KS-1 but found the K3 too heavy and awkward for me, and was very happy to sell it.

So it isn’t surprising that I love the KP. I prefer the middle grip, though the small grip reminded me more of the S1 which essentially doesn’t have a grip.

The funny thing is that I went to a photo show right after the K1 came out. My intention was to go, handle it and convince myself that it was too big and heavy for me, especially considering that I had given up on the K3. Unfortunately I found the K1 very well balanced and pretty comfortable for me to handle, in spite of its size and weight.

Get which one feels more comfortable for you. I’m finding I’m using the K1 less now that I have the KP, but if you aren’t comfortable with it, don’t buy it.
I'd agree with this. For me the K-X was too small, and the K3ii felt much better due to its size and balance. I have a mirrorless camera now. The balance is off and the size too small for my hands. But again, this is a preference. If I want, I can buy a battery grip to change the feel...but personally, I know I can adapt. I've shot several concerts already, holding the camera for 4-5 hours and haven't had a problem.
06-27-2018, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #34

I was in a similar situation, considering the K3II, KP, and K70. I chose the K3II for the following reasons:
- preferred the ergonomics and feel in hand of the K3II over the KP
- preferred K3II's magnesium alloy body over K70's plastic/composite body

Again, highly subjective reasons that speak more to feel in hand than anything else.

I did not see enough of a reduction in image noise/grain at higher ISO to factor the IQ improvement into my decision and felt that K3II's current high ISO handling was more than enough for my needs and typical shooting situations.

06-27-2018, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone is different, so it is hard to provide an answer the original question. Over the years, I have owned/handled so many models and design styles, I have acquired considerable adaptability. I have some very fine Sigma zoom lenses, which have zoom collars that turn in the opposite direction from those of my Pentax zoom lenses, but I have no problem adjusting my sense of operation. Long ago, I was happy to shoot exclusively with the very compact ME Super, which was later superseded by much bulkier models. So for me, my decision for the KP as my next body was about performance, including its exceptional higher ISO capabilities, and about its unique design concept having certain advantages, so it would fit into a niche within the other bodies I own. And I like the design's flexibility via the available grips, including the optional battery grip.

But I also like my other two main bodies: My K-S2, for its being so capable, yet so amazingly small and light, especially with the little DA-L 18-50mm on it, and for sure, my K-5 IIs for the best set of on-body controls I've experienced, great handling in making fast changes, beefy grip, AA battery capability in the battery grip, deeper buffer for when I rarely employ burst showing, and still great IQ.

If you should decide for the K-3 II, which has no in-board flash, Pentax does offer a very compact WR flash at around $150, which has more power than a built-in flash has, and also features a tilt head for bounce shots.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-27-2018 at 01:33 PM.
06-27-2018, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #36
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really hope the K-3 replacement has a similar articulating screen as the K-70.. I'm not 100% sold on the K-1's screen.
06-27-2018, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

^ I don't know, but I have a feeling that the screen might end up being kind of similar to the one used on the K-1. Seems more "tougher" than the one on the K-70.

06-27-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

About the only thing I am unhappy with on the K-3ii is the immovable lcd. Even that only bothers me once in a while. The K-3ii is still in many ways a mini K-1
06-27-2018, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I really hope the K-3 replacement has a similar articulating screen as the K-70.. I'm not 100% sold on the K-1's screen.
I don't like articulating screen such as the K-70 has. My use for a movable screen is looking down at my camera while taking "candid" shots, so my subjects might think I'm just fiddling with my camera's controls. With a screen such as the KP has, or the fancier mechanistm used by the K-1, the screen stays out-of-sight, hidden by the camera's body, but with an articulating screen such as the K-70 has, the screen is off to the side, where everyone can see it, and some can guess what I'm doing.
06-27-2018, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The K1's screen is really cool! But, I wish it did flip around. Can't have everything, I guess.
06-28-2018, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3ii bodies and features are just so good I cannot imagine being happy with the KP as much as I would like the slightly smaller size. Get the K-3ii and be ready for the successor or the K-1 when the time comes.
06-29-2018, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #42

I upgraded from the KS2 to the KP and I really love the picture quality. I will admit it took a bit of time getting use to the smaller frame but now it feels great when using it.
06-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #43

Original Poster
Thank you All for your comments.

In order to have better mod while taking my decision I have bought 2 new lenses:
- Sigma 17-50 2.8
- Pentax D FA 100 macro WR
I really enjoy them. Both sharp and paint beautifully.

What I have understood is that "movable" screen is important factor for me. I see great use of it in case of playing with macro (I had it some time ago in my first digital camera - old Canon G5).
Another thing is that I prefer more "traditional" body of DSLR.
Perfect match for my needs is successor of K-3ii.
07-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #44
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been debating myself about upgrading to the K-1 or to the K3ii. I have a K5 now, and like it a lot, but am tempted to upgrade. The K1 has the big advantage of being full-frame, although that would require me to get a new walkaround lens, and there is not quite any equivalent to my Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 that I use and love. The K1 has the disadvantage of larger size and heavier weight, and the larger sensor would reduce my ability to zoom in, which I do enjoy. Those disadvantages make me lean toward the K3, but I really would like to see a new flagship APS-C body instead of the aging K3.

For those here who have upgraded from the K5 to either the K3 or KP, or to the K-1, what are your thoughts on the tradeoffs? Is the size and weight penalty of full-frame really that much? Is losing the extra 1.5x zoom on the telephoto end that critical? Could I simply crop the full-frame image down to an APS-C equivalent and be happy with the resulting images as compared to a K3?
07-10-2018, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drimik Quote
Currently in Poland we have prices for cameras (best what I found):- K3ii 3450 PLN = 935 USD- KP 3750 PLN = 1015 USD- k70 2330 PLN - 630 USD
Since it is only $80 difference between K-3ii and KP I would say the tilt-screen alone is worth the difference. Not to mention the better high-ISO and 5-axis SR.