Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank God you are OK.

And best of all, you were damm lucky to get only tree debris around, but no serious damage.

Robert B.

09-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Thankfully you're ok. I have to wonder about the original poster though. It must be weird looking at that photo. I remember back during the 91 hurricane here. You must've been wondering if your house would still be there for you when you came back. My brother in law is in San Antonio right now, but he and his wife live in Galveston on the island. He's wondering if he even has an apartment to go back to on Monday...
Galveston was really hit hard. Several buildings built on piers over the gulf are completely gone. The west end of the island that's not protected by the seawall suffered lots of damage.

I used to live there, but I'm about 30 miles away now. I heard the eye passed through our neighborhood. I went to my office building today and found this:
09-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #18

houstonmacgregor still hasnt checked in with his photos?
09-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Not to seriously lighten the serious tone of this thread, but with just everyone else offering sensible warnings and information, and then to come along the Aussie suggestion...

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
If your willing to post the resulting photos then I guess we will see who was correct.

Take care mate

Neil
Basically: "F*** it! Have a chop! Prove 'em wrong!"

LMAO

09-15-2008, 09:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Thankfully you're ok. I have to wonder about the original poster though. It must be weird looking at that photo. I remember back during the 91 hurricane here. You must've been wondering if your house would still be there for you when you came back. My brother in law is in San Antonio right now, but he and his wife live in Galveston on the island. He's wondering if he even has an apartment to go back to on Monday...
I landed at Honolulu airport about an hour before they closed it due to Iniki. Still have the t-shirt saying....I survived Hurricane Iniki. It was 3 days before the trade winds came back. Hawaii ain't too much fun without the trade winds.
09-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #21
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
houstonmacgregor still hasnt checked in with his photos?
Depending on where he is in the Houston area, he may be without power until at least the end of the week. I have some friends who work in electric distribution and what they have said doesn't sound good.
09-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
Depending on where he is in the Houston area, he may be without power until at least the end of the week. I have some friends who work in electric distribution and what they have said doesn't sound good.
Yes, there are still well over a million customers without power. It will be a few weeks before everyone is restored. I somehow got lucky with the power and water.

09-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Safe and sopund. Still no power but got to work where they have power and internet access. Really got minimal pictures. Ended up with discretion the better part of valor. Thanks for the thoughts.

Pentaxians rule.

Michael

Last edited by houstonmacgregor; 09-19-2008 at 06:24 AM.
09-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #24
Forum Member

Advice

Famous words of advice from comedian Ron White about hurricane watching!!

"....its not that THAT the wind is blowin'.......its WHAT the wind is blowin'"

Glad to hear that you're safe and sound!!

JS
09-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks for the excellent pictures, Russ, and I'm glad that the storm wasn't worse than it was. Your pics were some of the most informative I've seen, at least, they answer the question that's been on my mind, which is what was the damage like in the neighborhoods.

We spent our last couple of years in Houston (1999-2001) in the near southwest, just a few blocks outside the 610 loop, right where the "elbow" occurs where the south loop meets the west loop. But we still have relatives in Galveston and Houston. They all evacuated, and some of them are still up here in Dallas because they don't have power or water restored yet - over a week later. Not a killer storm, to be sure, but apparently quite a big pain in the neck.

Up here in Dallas, we were told to prepare for a dangerous storm, in fact, the power company was warning that power outages here were likely. But in the end, Ike stayed well to the east, and we simply got a couple days of really good rain, which we needed.

Hope things get back to normal soon!

Will
09-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Thankfully you're safe. Since you decided not to go out into the Hurricane to snap pics (sensible), here's a link with some satellite pics of the storm damage area.

The east end of Galveston where my brother in law lives doesn't look too bad. The west end on the other hand. Well, just comparing it with some Google Earth pics...

BTW, how's the emergency response been down there? After the whole Katrina debacle in New Orleans, it must be a whole lot better. My in laws were able to turn in their FEMA paperwork today, but it remains to be seen as to how quickly they'll get any aid to replace their apartment and its contents. There's probably a lot of basic needs (power, water, housing, food, etc.) that must be taken care of before the authorities start in with the insurance thing.