Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

ist DS, nice backup camera or waste of money?

Well the title says it all, would really like to hear peoples opinions. Have bought a cheap ist DS that Im giving to my GF, tried to sell my 18-55 and 50-200 but could not get a fair price so decided I was better of giving them away as a gift.

Fair gift or waste of money?

09-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a DS and IMO so far there is no other pentax body to justify its price....
The only things i care about a body are its size/weight, build quality, slow synk, wireless flash and most important better analysis, better noise control and better DR.
So if you look carefully my criteria you will find that there is no other body meeting more than 3 of these specs (except perhaps *ist D)...
09-12-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
per
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So in your opinion the ist DS is a good body, is that what you are saying?
09-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you'll miss the SR. If you're looking for backup I'd recommend K100D Super for full SDM compatibility. True that DS has better body* and pentaprism, but SR, SDM and faster AF push scale in K100Ds favor.

* lighter, a notch smaller with better rubber on the grip that goes all the way to the lens mount.

09-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use my DS as a back up to my 10D. Love the ability to fit my DS with the 21ltd and the 10D with the 50-135 in my bag.

My DS was my only digital camera for 2 years before I bought the 10D because I wanted weather resistance and a second body, and I was extremely happy with it.

Now it works great as my second body, as I use it mostly with the shorter lenses (DA21, FA28, FA50), I don't really miss the SR. (Plus it is really nice to have the better high ISO performance of the DS over the 10D. )
09-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget that you can use ttl flashes and IMO that's quite an advantage.
09-12-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by per Quote
Well the title says it all, would really like to hear peoples opinions. Have bought a cheap ist DS that Im giving to my GF, tried to sell my 18-55 and 50-200 but could not get a fair price so decided I was better of giving them away as a gift.

I kept my *istD as back up to my K10D for 2 reasons,

first, the resale value of the *istD had dropped to a price so low compared to purchase price there was no value

and

second, the *istD (and in your case DS) does some things that the K10D does not do. specifically, ISO3200, more accurate metering with K mount (non A) lenses, and finally TTL flash capability.

these are very important functional differences that make the *istD or DS not so much a backup but a complementary piece to your complete system. Any other body does not give these benefits.

09-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I'd be happy with the DS as a backup. Shot with one for ~2 years before upgrading to the K10D. I sold it to a friend to finance the 540 flash. But it always took nice pictures....
09-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So in your opinion the ist DS is a good body, is that what you are saying?
Yes if you are not planning to print 30x45cm prints I think the DS is a very good body. Another thing... If you shoot jpg, then k100d seams to have sharper img but the WB really sucks... As far as it concerns the SR i don't miss it, but that is a matter of priorities... The only problem you might face with DS is that you'll be in trouble with lenses supporting only SDM...
09-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm a bit confused about the scenario here. You titled the thread, "backup camera or waste of money?" Are you giving the *ist DS to your girlfriend as a backup camera for her? Does she have another camera already?

I certainly think an *ist DS and a couple of lenses make a great gift for someone who doesn't have something better already. The *ist DS is a nice little camera. It's small (compared to the newer cameras) and takes nice photos, especially if you put a good lens on it. Nevertheless, I don't use mine much any more.

I bought my *ist DS originally as a backup for my K10D. I needed to get a backup because I made the mistake of selling my K100D when I upgraded to the K10D, and I got the *ist DS because I could not afford another K100D. I would rather have the K100D, if only for the shake reduction. True, shake reduction isn't always a huge deal if you can get close to the subject and keep the shutter fast enough to offset camera shake, but I certainly think shake reduction matters in many situations.

Now I have three cameras: the K20D, the K10D and the *ist DS. I don't really use the K10D now as my backup - I use it as a second camera with a different lens, right alongside the K20D. So I guess the *ist DS is still my backup, where "backup" means "the camera I'd use if something else broke." If I only need one camera, in many cases, I will grab the K10D or the K20D without thinking too hard about the difference. But I don't use the *ist DS much now.

Will
09-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
per
Inactive Account

Original Poster
LCD isnt important, SR is not really important either my glass is fast enough and im steady enough..

The reason I have purchased the camera is the price, the price was so low that if im not happy I can use it as a bookstand or something.

But it seems that the photographers here think this is a pretty decent camera, the gearfreaks are always trolling as they usually do

And for the title:

I will be giving it away, but it will be within my reach so it will be my backup if I need one, thats the catch, I won't be giving it away 100% ..

Last edited by per; 09-12-2008 at 11:50 AM.
09-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using a *ist-DS for over 3 years and have been very pleased with it. I recently got a (used) K10D and like the shake reduction, extra pixels, and access to features via buttons rather than menus, but the K10D is noticeably heavier and bulkier than the DS, so I still use the DS a lot, especially when traveling. The auto-WB is not terribly good on either camera, so I generally don't use it. Shortly after I got the K10D, the autofocus on the DS gave out (after 30k exposures), so I spent $200 to get it fixed, including a CLA that shoulda been done sooner anyway. Now I'm definitely going to keep it!
09-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I use my DS as a second body and I still think it is great. It is especially nice when you want to keep one lens on one body and a 2nd on another. For example when I traveled to Alaska I had my Tokina 400mm stuck to my K10 and my Sigma 17-70 glued to my DS.

To see how well the DS does see my Alaska gallery

Alaska Photo Gallery by palmor at pbase.com

John
09-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Aside from the Shake Reduction, the jpeg output from the K100D series is better than the *ist series.