Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 03:57 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by LeaderOfThePack Quote
I looked those. Nothing new really, but crop or crap made some decent points out. I'm engineer and have been following conversations. Sometimes I think 5 years from now, FF is gone because crop gets same results with lower costs. One thing which I don't like at all, is credibility when you're keeping courses or "acting professional". KP (and I think K-70 also) have shutter life 100k, which is kind of disapointment. Lack of WR in current camera have reduced usage a lot, because I can't take it along everywhere I want. I also like to shoot on swamp.

---------- Post added 06-19-18 at 07:25 AM ----------

This moment I'm strongly going to K3 II direction. What is/are "must have" lense(s) for it?

---------- Post added 06-19-18 at 07:43 AM ----------

Can anyone recommend any shop in europe where I could get K3 II?
Assuming you are going for APS-C, you just need 2 lens to start.

The SMC DA 15mm f4 limited is a great great great lens. Equivalent to around 21 mm in FF terms, this lens is THE landscape lens on APS-C. It also possess the most amazing starburst ability in the Pentax line-up. SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC DA 35mm f2.4 AL the plastic fantastic. The 50mm FF equivalent or the normal lens for everyday photography.
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If you like manual lens like I do, then options are much wider.

I have not included telephoto suggestions as I'm not familiar with that area.

06-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Main disanvantage of K1 is that I think I have to also change almost every part of my computer then, and that might cost extra 1000€... I think I should anyhow change my two 22" 200€ monitors to one better, maybe wide screen monitor with decent color rendering.
I have AMD FX 3.6GHz, 8 core + 8GB RAM + 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6800 + Lightroom CC. Windows 10. I can wait for Import/Export, but if handling and adjustments starts to stuck, I will lost my marbles.

If/when I buy aps-c, I will (yes I'm an engineer) always think what I'm missing with cropped body? Will K1 make better quality? With K1 there wouldn't be any room for explanations, I would only blame my self. Then again, if I decide to go for dark side and change almost every gear, here in Finland is lightly used Nikon FF sets with bunch of lenses in markets under price of K1 body...

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 10:17 PM ----------

Image quality and Bokeh is everything for me. Currently I shoot over half of my shots with manual focus, so AF speed is mostly irrelevant.

Last edited by LeaderOfThePack; 06-20-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Adding stuff
06-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #18

Original Poster
Some rough examples of what I'm looking for.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo   
06-21-2018, 12:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

If/when I buy aps-c, I will (yes I'm an engineer) always think what I'm missing with cropped body? Will K1 make better quality? With K1 there wouldn't be any room for explanations, I would only blame my self.
I'll be blunt here. imho..
Ofcourse you are missing out on something because you do not have the K1. You will always be missing out on something. There is always 'better' around the corner.
Question is very easy: how much do you want/are you able to spend?

Image quality and Bokeh is everything for me
Indeed IQ and bokeh will certainly benefit from FF. I also notice that there is much better glass out there for your purposes than what you currently have. Maybe spending money on a dfa 100macro & fa31 1.8 (just examples) are a much better investment at this moment?

You do not have expensive glass yet, so another brand is indeed possible.. Nothing wrong with a nikon.

ps: noticed this..
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/camera-bodies-and-lenses-for-sale---a...s-new----60831

Last edited by grispie; 06-21-2018 at 04:13 AM. Reason: added comment
06-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #20

Original Poster
Funny that you mentioned those ones, I've been looking them.

One interesting thing which doesn't help my thinking: I visited local reseller today, and he said that even silver version of KP is not available at moment on importer stock. He thinks there is certainly something new coming still on this year and Ricoh has full focus on it. He was even thinking that there is quite big chance that something under K-70 price is coming also.
06-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I'll be blunt here. imho..
Ofcourse you are missing out on something because you do not have the K1. You will always be missing out on something. There is always 'better' around the corner.
ps: noticed this..
Camera bodies and lenses for sale - all pretty much as new...
I did register to forum and asked if he would send it to Finland. No answer yet.

My budget is about 3k€, which means that if I go pentax crop, I get 2-3 really good lens. If FF pentax, body and one good lens. If Nikon, dunno yet, have to find out. Just called my pro friend who shoots with Nikon and I'm maybe more mixed up than before D500 and D750 seems to be options there. D850 is good, but expensive. In the other hand, why to change from crop pentax to crop nikon and have to change all lenses also. Feels kind of stupid option in logical part of my brain. (which fortunately seems to get smaller every day

---------- Post added 06-22-18 at 05:19 AM ----------

Btw, he kept advertising Nikon better model features which I have even in my K-r. Funny.
06-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny that you mentioned those ones, I've been looking them.

One interesting thing which doesn't help my thinking: I visited local reseller today, and he said that even silver version of KP is not available at moment on importer stock. He thinks there is certainly something new coming still on this year and Ricoh has full focus on it. He was even thinking that there is quite big chance that something under K-70 price is coming also.
there is always something " new and improved " coming soon

you will always find something cheaper and/or better after you buy something

the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

you just do the best you can do

and only you know what is best for you

06-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Btw, he kept advertising Nikon better model features which I have even in my K-r. Funny.
My second camera body is a kr. I love that camera. Small, lightweight and very pleasing images. ideal for short outs.
06-22-2018, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #24

If you stay with APS-C I suggest to choose K-3(II) or K-5 II. Both have bigger strong bodies and have better sensor and auto focus than K-r.

Older bodies like K-5 have worse auto focus which I do not recommend. If you plan to keep the camera for 5 years keep in mind even K-5 II cameras are quite old now. More risk they fail during next 5 years. Think seriously K-3 or K-3 II.

Keep K-1 in mind too. You have a lot of FF lenses and your aps-c lenses will work better in crop mode. K-1 in crop mode have more megapixels and better dynamic range than K-r has. K-1 also have much better auto focus etc.

I sent you a message about K-3 I am selling in Finland.
06-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

For your expected use I would go with the K-3 or K-3II. I own a KP and love it, but if you are not doing astrophotography and lots of low light images, the K-3 family will be better for you based on the way you described holding one. If you are going for the battery grip on any model , then the KP may actually be right for you! The grip changes the handling a great deal, and I don't think that the 100K shutter expectation is that important. If a high tech piece of gear is going to break, it normally will early in its lifecycle, barring accidents.
See the 300K+ shutter actuation K-50 in a recent post.
06-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #26

Original Poster
If device on some case is stronger than expected, doesn't mean it's always that. Like having sex without condom with stranger because your friend didn't catch any disease..
06-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Just to note... The K3 II is now listed as discountinued per the B&H link in one of the early posts. They must have run out and can’t get any more...

But to the OP other retailers still may have stock. The K3 II is an awesome camera even with no built in flash.

The KP is a great option too but if you like a larger body the K3 II is a no brainer.
06-23-2018, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
I have send mail to few reseller here in Finland and asked prices for body (KP and K1 II) with batterygrip. I even found one offering old models, but I assume that they just haven't updated their market pages. Asked anyhow, it doesn't cost and I might get lucky. Time is running and K1 give out is coming also, so maybe I should wait a moment if I happen to be lucky one from these thousands of users
06-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have send mail to few reseller here in Finland and asked prices for body (KP and K1 II) with batterygrip. I even found one offering old models, but I assume that they just haven't updated their market pages. Asked anyhow, it doesn't cost and I might get lucky. Time is running and K1 give out is coming also, so maybe I should wait a moment if I happen to be lucky one from these thousands of users
Lets us know what you decide. Hopefully you get lucky.
06-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm late to this party, but I loved my K3ii. It's a really capable camera with every feature you could want to aid in taking the types of images you posted. But, as the others have mentioned, upgrading your lenses will be equally, if not more important than upgrading from the K-r. I used a K-x for years with some older manual lenses, and was satisfied...until I bought my first Limited series lens. That's when I saw what I had been missing. It didn't take me long to acquire more. My 40mm ltd was my favorite for walking around, and lived on the K-x and then my K3ii most of the time. But I used my 100mm WR macro and 31mm ltd quite a lot too. Buy good glass and it's hard to go back.