Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 03:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Big step up from K-r. What's next?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have been using K-r from 2012 (about 17000 shots so far) and now finally have money to buy replacement. Big question is either to go for full frame or not.

Mostly I do multi-exposures and detais from nature (60% of usage). In K-r I like most my old Rikenon 50/1.7 because I like short DoF, but many times it's too long and change to 28/2.8. Just bought decent manual extension tubes also. Walk-arounder is usually SMC Pentax-DA 18-55 which I usually use to portraits also(30%) and when taking rare pics of birds(10%) I change to Tamron AF Tele-Macro 70-300 4-5.6

Point is that most of my lenses are too long for my use with crop sensor, but then all but Tamron from modern lenses are for crop only. Lucky those are not expensive ones

Short inventory of current lenses:
Pentax SMC Pentax-DA 18-55 3.5-5.6 AL Crop
Pentax SMC Pentax-DAL 18-55 3.5-5.6 AL Crop
Pentax SMC Pentax-DAL 50-200 4-5.6 ED Crop

Pentax SMC Pentax-M 28 2.8 35mm
Pentax SMC Pentax-M 40-80 2.8-4 Macro 35mm
Pentax SMC Pentax-M 135 3.5 35mm
Ricoh XR Rikenon 50 1.7 35mm

Sigma Zoom-a2 35-105 3.5-4.5 35mm
Tamron-f Zoom Macro 85-210 4.5 BBar Multi C. 35mm
Tamron AF Tele-Macro 70-300 4-5.6 LD Di A17 Full

Makinon x2 Converter
Chinon 12-20-36mm Extension tube

Older Tamron or Sigma causes mirror flapping in K-r and can't currently be used at all.

What I think my needs are? Good body (I mean camera you nasty perverts), one decent even shorter (under 20mm I think) lens, good modern zoom up to maybe 200mm, maybe 90 or 100 macro lens (for portraits also). With close still targets I will gladly use manual lenses, but AF would of course be nice. Battery grip maybe.

What I want? Solid, not too small body. Light plastic feeling means toy in my head. I have quite big hands and my fingers hurst in mornings,so I don't want too small one. I think Battery grip will fix some of this problem, if I have afford to it after lenses and body.

So, can anyone point out
- which of these lenses are really usable in K1?
- What I have missed?
- What other equipment (or lenses) I will spend my money in next 2 years? I would like to use this new one at least next 5 years. Flash probably, I hate built-in in K-r, it messes up white balance with natural light and isn't strong enough for only or even for decent filler light. When I buy something, I like it to be strong and long lasting.
- What is your recommendations for above mentioned set with K1 and with KP or K-70 in other hand? Would you change something from what I have thought? I would like K3 II also, small top screen is nice to have, but K3 II isn't available here in Finland. Even used ones are non-existent.

---------- Post added 06-19-18 at 03:36 AM ----------

One thing more: At least body and one zoom should have WR.

06-19-2018, 03:45 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

have you explored the cost of getting a K 3 II sent to you ?

it might be prohibitive but you won't know until you check

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video

otherwise, I think you have a very nice selection of lenses

all can be used on the K 1 ( some limited to crop mode though )

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

" Pentax K-1 Review
Available Lenses
The Pentax K-1 is compatible with every Pentax K-mount lens ever made without the need for an adapter, and with little or no restrictions in terms of functionality: this includes over 204 genuine full-frame lenses in addition to thousands of third-party offerings. Furthermore, you can adapt M42, M37, 645, and 6x7 lenses. Refer to our lens compatibility guide for further details, or seek advice in the lens forum. "

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com

this chart can help you determine what Pentax lenses would work, and how, with the K 1 and other Pentax Camera bodies

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-19-2018 at 03:55 AM.
06-19-2018, 03:56 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
There is one used K3 with 18-135mm available for 550e in Sweden. If you are willing to order abroad.
06-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for reply. I was just reading last ones of those. So, is there some benefit to use crop mode of K1 compared to actual crop body? (Pixel shift ofcourse, but in image quality?)
I have checked shippings before, but didn't thought about K3 availability in other countries, thank you. Warranty is main question, in europe it's typically one year longer and much easier to handle locally.

---------- Post added 06-19-18 at 04:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
There is one used K3 with 18-135mm available for 550e in Sweden. If you are willing to order abroad.
Sounds interesting. I was writing about K3 mkII, but with that price...

Last edited by LeaderOfThePack; 06-19-2018 at 04:06 AM.
06-19-2018, 04:10 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

side by side comparison

K 1 vs K 3 II vs K 1 II vs K 3

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-1&c...&c4=Pentax+K-3

not a whole lot of difference between K 3 and K 3 II

one has built in flash

one has built in gps

you can add accessory gps if you want

I don't have a K 1 only a K 3 and K 3 II, so I can't answer questions about K 1 only give you links
06-19-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeaderOfThePack Quote
I have been using K-r from 2012 (about 17000 shots so far) and now finally have money to buy replacement. Big question is either to go for full frame or not.

There are benefits to going FF as well as the occasional down side. I have a suggestion though, put off your purchase until July, hope to get lucky on the forum's K-1 giveaway and use your savings to get a good WR zoom lens for it.
You could keep your K-r for long telephoto shots where the crop factor is helpful....or use the K-1 in crop factor mode to enable use of your crop factor lenses.
I wish you luck. I wish me luck in winning it too!
06-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #7

A used K-5iis might just do the trick and save you some money to spend on lenses, filters, etc.

Check this out if you wana hear about the eternal (and mostly meaningless) talk about APS-C vs FF:

06-19-2018, 06:06 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thoughts ( not mine, just passing them on )

Full Frame Sensor vs Crop Sensor: Which is Right For You?

Crop Factor Explained

The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
06-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
I looked those. Nothing new really, but crop or crap made some decent points out. I'm engineer and have been following conversations. Sometimes I think 5 years from now, FF is gone because crop gets same results with lower costs. One thing which I don't like at all, is credibility when you're keeping courses or "acting professional". KP (and I think K-70 also) have shutter life 100k, which is kind of disapointment. Lack of WR in current camera have reduced usage a lot, because I can't take it along everywhere I want. I also like to shoot on swamp.

---------- Post added 06-19-18 at 07:25 AM ----------

This moment I'm strongly going to K3 II direction. What is/are "must have" lense(s) for it?

---------- Post added 06-19-18 at 07:43 AM ----------

Can anyone recommend any shop in europe where I could get K3 II?

Last edited by LeaderOfThePack; 06-19-2018 at 07:39 AM.
06-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #10

Can anyone recommend any shop in europe where I could get K3 II?
Amazon France still have some, but no more bare body anymore (same on amazon.de) Pentax K-3 II Appareil photo numérique Reflex 24,71 Mpix Kit Objectif 18-55 mm/3,5-5,6 SMC DA AL WR: Amazon.fr: Photo & Caméscopes
Dont know if they will deliver to Finland, but most probably, yes.
06-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . What is/are "must have" lense(s) for it? . . .
choose one or more

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

seriously that depends on your budget, desires, needs and luck [ finding a good " experienced " lens ]

some suggestions

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/recommended-pentax-gear-2016.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/recommended-gear-2015.html

look at the threads using certain lenses or type of lenses:

K3 sample shots ... post here ! - PentaxForums.com

The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - PentaxForums.com

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com

DA 16-85 WR,show us what it can do. - PentaxForums.com

DA* Club - PentaxForums.com

there are more

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-19-2018 at 08:25 AM.
06-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Can anyone recommend any shop in europe where I could get K3 II?
Where to Shop

If you live in the US, shop with confidence at B&H Photo and Adorama: the two largest Pentax retailers that stock the entire Pentax lineup year-round. Amazon also carries the majority of Pentax products, though not all sellers are authorized. If you're in the UK, WEX Photographic carries the full Pentax lens line. If you live elsewhere in the EU, UK-based SRS Microsystems will ship straight to your door, or you can opt for one of dozens of local retailers. Users in Australia and New Zealand can order directly from the official Pentax distributor, CR Kennedy. Orders under $1000 (AUD) can also be imported to Australia from the aforementioned US retailers with no added GST. If you're in Canada, you can order most items from B&H and Adorama with little or no customs fees, or shop at local photo retailers such as Henry's.

Read more at: Recommended Pentax Gear 2016 - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
06-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

What I think my needs are? Good body (I mean camera you nasty perverts), one decent even shorter (under 20mm I think) lens, good modern zoom up to maybe 200mm, maybe 90 or 100 macro lens (for portraits also). With close still targets I will gladly use manual lenses, but AF would of course be nice. Battery grip maybe.
Strongly consider the K-70. It's a huge upgrade over your K-r in every respect. The newer sensor provides more megapixels when you need the resolution and less noise in low light. Autofocus is greatly improved. It's solidly built, much more so than your Kr.

Comparing K-70 to K-3 is very close IMO. K-3 offers better build quality, K-70 offers better image quality.

K-70 costs around 1/3 of a K-1. Some of those savings could be used on lenses:
  • DA 16-85 is a great upgrade to your 18-55. Improved image quality, expanded zoom range, and quiet autofocusing. The 16-85 can focus reasonably close up but not quite as close as the 18-55. Or, if you prefer thin DoF, get the DA* 16-50 which offers f2.8.
  • DFA 100 WR Macro works for macro, portraits, and when you want thin DoF. Only downside is long focus throw that's not ideal for action photography.
  • DA 55-300 PLM has a very fast autofocus motor for wildlife.
06-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
I like K-70. But: K3 haves top-display, 2 card slots and +100k expected shutter count. K-70 also feels kind of small in my hand, I haven't even seen any battery grips for it.
06-20-2018, 01:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I like K-70. But: K3 haves top-display, 2 card slots and +100k expected shutter count. K-70 also feels kind of small in my hand, I haven't even seen any battery grips for it.
Sounds like you want a k3 :-)
to be honest, i'd recommend getting the K3.. Battery life is also a plus. Someone mentioned a K5ii(s). Maybe also an option?
But do try to get a nice one either second hand or discounted.
Sometimes pentaxforum UK is a good source for second hand, leaving some money for an additional quality lens in the area you mentioned.

I did not get the impression from your post a k1 would do you a huge benefit..