Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 04:07 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill Herndon Quote
What strikes me about the KP--at least working on the raw images in Lightroom--is what a poor job the software does on the initial interpretation of the KP's files. It's almost as if Adobe gave up on Pentax. I know that the KP came out just as Adobe was transitioning to Lightroom CC, but I thought that the perpetual version, 6.10 and later, had a version of Camera RAW that supported the KP.

Give Pentax time to get the K-3 iii into the marketplace. (What are the odds?)
Do you have ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) 9.10? It was released last year (free) and was the first version to support the KP. If you look at the list of new lenses supported, you'll see that Adobe doesn't seem to give up on anything...even a Helios.

ACR 9.10 now available

I don't have a KP, but in what way does the software do a poor job on RAW in LR.....relative to another camera? Initially raw (compared to jpegs) is always going to be unsharp, low contrast, low color saturation, and in need of work in curves or levels. And I've also found that with better or larger sensors, the more lens or operator caused imperfections will be seen.

It makes sense that you are testing, comparing, and considering non-Pentax cameras; I would too. On the other hand, if a K3iii would be a contender and you're not in a rush, I believe it's pending release is more fact than fiction.

08-07-2018, 04:50 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tangent88 Quote
Are there any professional photographers you know who use Pentax cameras?
Your comments about Pentax are mostly negative.
To answer your question: Of course, there are many professional photographers who use Pentax gear.

Here's a few:
Kerrick James, Kerrick James
Brett Harkness, Brett Harkness
Bill Ward, Bill Ward Photography | Things That I Have Seen
Matt Emmett, Forgotten Heritage - Home | Facebook
Kennan Ward, Kennan Ward Photography (He shoots Nikon as well)
Larry Lee, Fine Art Photography | Lawrence Lee Photography | Landscapes, Wildlife, Nature, American West, Rural and Small Town America Photographs
08-07-2018, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
...I don't have a KP, but in what way does the software do a poor job on RAW in LR.....relative to another camera? Initially raw (compared to jpegs) is always going to be unsharp, low contrast, low color saturation, and in need of work in curves or levels. And I've also found that with better or larger sensors, the more lens or operator caused imperfections will be seen.

Alex... It's not the low contrast or low level of saturation. I'm used to that. Rather, it's the wonky colors: Purple skies, muddy greens with a yellowish tint. That said, now you've got me thinking about exactly which version of ACR I've got. Perhaps there's something there--a lens correction issue...something. Anyway, now I'm inspired to check it out and take a second look. If I find anything I'll get back to you. Will benefit me anyway since, to the best of my knowledge, only the most recent version of ACR for Lightroom perpetual supports the Lumix G9, and that's what I'm testing next.

Thanks,

Bill Herndon
08-08-2018, 01:52 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Your comments about Pentax are mostly negative.
More and more people's cameras are failing because of the aperture solenoid problem so I think a lot more people are going to be negative about them.

Pentax entry-level cameras with weather sealing and pentaprism viewfinders seemed like excellent value, it seems less like that now, I'm just glad I bought my K-50 secondhand, if I'd bought it new I'd be really negative!

08-08-2018, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tangent88 Quote
More and more people's cameras are failing because of the aperture solenoid problem so I think a lot more people are going to be negative about them.

Pentax entry-level cameras with weather sealing and pentaprism viewfinders seemed like excellent value, it seems less like that now, I'm just glad I bought my K-50 secondhand, if I'd bought it new I'd be really negative!
Obviously people who's cameras have failed will be more negative about a particular brand or product if that product failed them. However, statistical analysis would appear to show that the number of Pentax cameras malfunctioning is not dissimilar to other makes. The incidence of failure in K-30's and K-50's is higher than in other models. But, still quite low, overall. To suggest that the higher failure rate of those products should translate to more negativity to all Pentax products would appear to be an overreaction. About a third of 448 who answered the poll indicated that they experienced a problem with their Pentax KS-1, KS-2, K-30 or K-50 cameras. The majority of these issues were with K-30 or K-50 cameras. 448 was a pretty small sample size, as 5,000 were invited to take the survey. As people who have experienced failures are more likely, statistically, to fill out the survey, the failure rate of some 143 of 448 responses from a sample of 5,000 would seem to indicate that the total failure percentage is very low.

While it's undoubtedly poor that those cameras failed prematurely, that is no reason to bag the brand. Each and every Pentax product I have bought over the last 30+ years have functioned perfectly ever since. If I had one Pentax product fail now, and used that as a reason to consistently speak poorly of the brand, that would hardly be a fair representation of the facts, not so?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-08-2018 at 03:14 AM.
08-08-2018, 11:08 PM   #51

My K-50 was hardly used when it failed, this is not a case of where a weak part wears out, it can go at any time and seems to be a case of when rather than if.

It is more a case of negativity towards Ricoh rather than Pentax though, still got a K10D which is still working (although even that had back-focusing problems to be fair).
08-09-2018, 12:25 AM   #52
Forum Member

From what I see most failures of k50/k30 are from users rarely using their cameras. I've never heard of failure from users making pictures e ery few days. I have like 50k In 3 years, I know guy, who shot 250k on his k50 and it still works like charm. It looks like some kind of rust-like problem.

That is something I don't see often in any electronic device, where more you use it you got more chance it to fail, but here it's different.

But k30/k50 is entry level, so it is expected to be used less than pro cameras.
08-10-2018, 02:38 AM   #53

Exactly, holidays, birthdays, weddings etc

Day to day I either use my phone or my Lumix micro 4/3.