Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 01:52 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Does the new PLM lens work with the K7 & KS2? . . .
K S 2 yes, K 7 no

*This lens [ HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE ] uses an electric focus-by-wire system and will not focus (even manually) on cameras older than the Pentax K100D super (2006).

**Because the aperture is controlled electronically, this lens can only stop down when used with compatible cameras. The Pentax K-50, K-S1, K-S2, K-3, K-3 II, and K-1 are supported via a camera firmware update; the Pentax K-70, Pentax KP and all 2017 or newer bodies will work out of the box. The aperture diaphragm will always remain wide-open on unsupported bodies.

In an nutshell, this lens fully compatible with recent DSLRs but shouldn't be used on older bodies or film cameras.

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The upside to the move to KAF4 is that the lens now has fewer moving parts, and that aperture control makes less noise. If you don't have a physical aperture lever, it can't get jammed. The downside is that this lens can only be used by cameras that recognize the new KAF4 mount. As of early 2017, the list includes the K-1, K-3, K-3 II, K-S2, K-S1, K-50, K-70, and KP. All future bodies should also be KAF4-compatible. All of the aforementioned cameras save the K-70 and KP first need a firmware update to support this lens.

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions:
FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

06-20-2018, 03:21 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
It's hard to imagine the desire for a do everything super zoom on an ILC. Why not just buy a really good fixed lens camera?

As much as I prefer primes over zooms, I will concede the convenience of a zoom does have its allure and can understand
how some shooters are willing to live with their shortcomings for access to variable FL on the fly. But if you're going to go
to the extreme of covering almost the entire range with just one lens, why bother with an ILC?
I'm struggling to think of a fixed lens camera with an APS-C sensor and image quality comparable to the KS-2, as well as the focal length range of an 18-250 or 18-300mm lens. But even if there is one, it doesn't offer the option of choosing other lenses at some later stage if desired. So I can absolutely see why people by an ILC, put a super-zoom lens on it, and use that exclusively.

I'm not advocating the use of a super-zoom as the only lens in a kit, but they can be very useful. I have the Sigma 18-300 in K-mount, and the Tamron 28-300 PZD in Sony A-mount. Neither of them gets used very often, but both have occasional outings where - in the right circumstances - they offer unmatched convenience... and they're certainly capable of producing very decent images. A good quality two zoom kit will usually offer better IQ and light gathering, for sure, but there are occasions where you simply don't know what you'll be photographing next, and you don't want to be changing lenses.

On day trips to local historical sites, I've taken wide angle shots of architecture at 18mm, followed shortly after by telephoto shots of deer or birds at 300mm - all with one lens fitted to the camera, no changing of lenses and missing of shots, no need to carry a bag (or stuff my pocket) with one or more additional lenses. Sometimes, convenience ranks higher than image quality in priorities...

That said, I'd still recommend that the OP considers a two lens kit
06-20-2018, 04:03 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Bingo! Anything shorter with the 55-300 PLM is a great combo. I even got a picture of a Unicorn with my 55-300 PLM!
To echo what pretty much everyone has said, and a specific reinforcement for SSGGeezer's comment.

1) superzooms are for convenience, a one-lens-does-all for situation where it is inconvenient to carry multiple lenses, for example: on vacation tours. Some a little better than others, but overall their performance are very similar one brand to another. Replacing a Tamron branded with a Pentax branded superzoom will not yield significantly superior images.

2) and SSGGEZER's suggestion: at longer focal lengths, the 55~300mm will probably outperform any of the superzooms at comparable focal lengths.That lens has been from it's introduction an excellent choice for covering that FL range, remarkably compact, and far outperforming it's price. I would unhesitantly pair it with a Pentax 16~85mm, which not only has excellent IQ for a zoom, but the extra 2mm at the wide end covers a lot more compared to any lens that has 18mm at the WA end. Take my word, in the wide angle realm, two millimeters provides major, very useful additional coverage
06-20-2018, 05:21 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
To echo what pretty much everyone has said, and a specific reinforcement for SSGGeezer's comment.

1) superzooms are for convenience, a one-lens-does-all for situation where it is inconvenient to carry multiple lenses, for example: on vacation tours. Some a little better than others, but overall their performance are very similar one brand to another. Replacing a Tamron branded with a Pentax branded superzoom will not yield significantly superior images.

2) and SSGGEZER's suggestion: at longer focal lengths, the 55~300mm will probably outperform any of the superzooms at comparable focal lengths.That lens has been from it's introduction an excellent choice for covering that FL range, remarkably compact, and far outperforming it's price. I would unhesitantly pair it with a Pentax 16~85mm, which not only has excellent IQ for a zoom, but the extra 2mm at the wide end covers a lot more compared to any lens that has 18mm at the WA end. Take my word, in the wide angle realm, two millimeters provides major, very useful additional coverage
I agree! For convenience and great image quality the DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM is hard to beat. I have both and am very happy with them. As far as I am aware, isn't the 18-270 a Tamron rebadge? If it is, I would think the IQ is likely to be the same with the only advantage being quiet autofocus. As far as quiet autofocus goes, the PLM is the best I have seen.

06-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
. As far as I am aware, isn't the 18-270 a Tamron rebadge? .
That was my understanding, although the 18~250mm vs the 18~270mm might be marginally (=pixel peeping) different at some focal lengths. EVer since Pentax began rebadging some Tamron lenses I've thought it a pit that they don't rebadge all the Tamron lenses that are not exact or very close overlaps with Pentax originals. for example, not the 70~200mm f2.8 but yes on the 150~600mm Tamrons.
06-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input. I think I will just stick with the Tamron 18-250 for travel use where I need a one lense walk around option. I gather the marginal improvement I will get from the 18-270 wold not be enough to justify the investment. I think I will use the money to invest in another lense to compliment it for architectural use perhaps the Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL IF.
Thanks to hcc for the detailed reply, if it had WR I probably would change, that would swing the balance as I am going to Ireland net year and I gather it rains a lot there.
06-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have the 18-135 lens, and now have the 55-300 mm PLM (fastest focus Ihave ever seen) these two cover most of my zoom needs, however I also have the 16-50 f2.8 and the 50-135 f2.8 as well, I use these two lenses for better shoot sessions for the IQ, I mount the 16-50 on my K5 and the 50-135 on my K3, and together they make the awesome duo for more detailed quality shooting. usually for my walk around lens I just mount the 18-135 on my K3 or even my K-01, these are great for around Vegas. I also have the Sigma 8-16mm (a lens I absolutely adore) which works with any combination.
ya I like zooms but I stick to the smaller ranges in several zooms instead of one zoom that does all, however the 55-300mm is going to be very useful for situations where my options will be limited.
ya these cameras are made to change lenses, and that is why I am collecting up lots of old manual lenses (LBA) but will mostly use them on the K01

06-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Charlier Quote
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input. I think I will just stick with the Tamron 18-250 for travel use where I need a one lense walk around option. I gather the marginal improvement I will get from the 18-270 wold not be enough to justify the investment. I think I will use the money to invest in another lense to compliment it for architectural use perhaps the Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL IF.
Thanks to hcc for the detailed reply, if it had WR I probably would change, that would swing the balance as I am going to Ireland net year and I gather it rains a lot there.
Looks like you're in the right place if you're considering the 12-24:
Pentax DA 12-24mm F4: $599 AUD - Pentax Australia. A bargain! - PentaxForums.com
Get one of those and an umbrella...

Cheers

Jonathan
06-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Forget the all in one super zoom on an SLR as convenient as they maybe. You have an ILC, I think that is one of the huge benefits is several lenses to cover all focal lengths, you will be much happier with an 18-135 or 16-85 then do a non-PLM HD 55-300mm. You will be set and have much sharper photos too boot.

Just my five cents. Happy shooting.
06-24-2018, 03:19 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Forget the all in one super zoom on an SLR as convenient as they maybe. You have an ILC, I think that is one of the huge benefits is several lenses to cover all focal lengths, you will be much happier with an 18-135 or 16-85 then do a non-PLM HD 55-300mm. You will be set and have much sharper photos too boot.

Just my five cents. Happy shooting.
I'm easily confused: " ILC "???

I found this " explanation " between " ILC " and " SLR " [ " DSLR " ]:

" An SLR takes light from the camera's imaging lens and projects it into a viewfinder using a mirror. Any camera that doesn’t perform this function is not an SLR. There is no widely accepted terminology for such cameras. EVIL, MILC, ILC, and even SLD are used to describe cameras with interchangeable lenses but no reflex mirror. The defining features they all share are that they are digital and that they display the live image of the lens, either through an electronic viewfinder or an LCD.

While SLRs are technically interchangeable lens cameras, SLRs are not grouped with ILCs. While all EVIL/MILC/ILC/SLD cameras are digital, SLRs are both digital and film. Also, early digital SLRs with no LiveView function could not display the live image of the lens electronically. "

What's the difference..SLR vs. ILC?: Beginners Questions Forum: Digital Photography Review

the OP has DSLRs correct ?
06-24-2018, 03:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ILC = Interchangeable Lens Camera
SLR = Single Lens Reflex

A camera can be SLR with a fixed (i.e., not interchangeable) lens. The important characteristic here is ILC, i.e., you can change lenses.
06-24-2018, 03:50 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
ILC = Interchangeable Lens Camera
SLR = Single Lens Reflex

A camera can be SLR with a fixed (i.e., not interchangeable) lens. The important characteristic here is ILC, i.e., you can change lenses.
I wasn't aware of any SLR [ DSLR ] camera which didn't have the ability to change lenses.

I guess I learned something today
06-24-2018, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I wasn't aware of any SLR [ DSLR ] camera which didn't have the ability to change lenses.
The Olympus E-10 and E-20 had fixed lenses and TTL OVF. However, irrespective of whether or not such cameras have ever been produced, there is nothing in the definition of "SLR" that mandates that lenses be interchangeable.

Conversely, an ILC doesn't have to be SLR of course. Mirrorless cameras are examples.
06-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The Olympus E-10 and E-20 had fixed lenses and TTL OVF. However, irrespective of whether or not such cameras have ever been produced, there is nothing in the definition of "SLR" that mandates that lenses be interchangeable.

Conversely, an ILC doesn't have to be SLR of course. Mirrorless cameras are examples.
Great example. You got what I meant.
06-25-2018, 02:41 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you are lucky, you never stop learning

and now I find these

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/photography-terms-cheatsheet.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/lens-terms-and-abbreviations.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-25-2018 at 03:06 AM.