Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a MASSIVE revalation for me. Aperture with M lenses

I have been using my 50mm 1.4 as well as a couple others happily but with the knowledge that i have one huge limitation; i can only use these lenses with the aperture wide open, unless i decouple the lens from the body and hold it on.

Today i had the lens on and i was testing out the lens using flash and various apertures, i pressed the green button and the aperture closed. Firstly i didnt know the green button did that, and secondly the camera just controlled my lens' aperture, the only difference? i am on M mode. I tried optical preview and fired off a shot, and its there, the lens aperture does what it did on my old film body. I realise the camera can't read the aperture and do stopped down metering, but the fact that i can use my lens on anything but 1.4 is new to me. On any mode other than M the aperture stays open no matter what i put it on (i usually use Av).

I feel so stupid! Did everyone else already get this? I think its the fact that i rarely use manual.

Damn!

09-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Banned

yea its pretty common knowledge that non 'A' lenses have to use stop down metering ie: the 'green' or 'AE-lock' button (for us K100D users). you should probably read the manual. that or come here and read through the Pentax photography knowledge base. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/32-can-...ist-ds-dl.html
09-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #3

This was a revelation for me too ... since I have Firmware 2.00 on my ist DS
09-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, so the green button is closing the aperture, checking it and setting the correct speed. That is clever and this sounds like a very efficient way of working.

I already was pretty much fine with using my manual lens but stuck on 1.4 because i've been using it on Av all the time... I swear i was looking inside the camera, i could see the little lever, i was shouting at it "WHY DONT YOU PUT SOME EFFORT IN AND CLOSE MY APERTURE FOR ME"

09-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Although I have found on my K10D that the lower the aperture you use the more it overexposes and therefore you have to compensate.
09-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

yeah this is standard knowledge... its in the manual.
09-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pardon my ignorance now but why not just use the aperture ring to change the aperture? When I'm in AV mode with an M lens, and I change the aperture with the ring, the camera does just fine adjusting the shutter speed to compensate for the smaller opening. Am I missing something?
09-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Mel, in AV mode, the lens stays wide open, regardless of the aperture ring setting. ( M lenses only, A lenses work just like the newer lenses, IF you have the Ap ring set to the A position )

09-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Mel, in AV mode, the lens stays wide open, regardless of the aperture ring setting. ( M lenses only, A lenses work just like the newer lenses, IF you have the Ap ring set to the A position )
Oh I see my problem. I was using the screw-mount lenses to look at that issue. It's just the k-mounts that they don't move. I have a few screwmount manual lenses. The aperture ring works just like "old-school" on those. Green-button away!
09-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Aye. You wouldn't know it from reading most of the mainstream literature, because no one who rights the mainstream literature has probably never shot a Pentax in his/her life, let alone shot an M lens on a "crippled" KAF2 body. Most reviews of a Pentax camera will simply say, "All Pentax digital SLR bodies are compatible with older Pentax film lenses (FA, F and A mounts) as well as newer lenses (DA and DA* mounts)" (that excerpt from Photo.net's outline of the Pentax DSLRs.)

It is, sadly, getting to be a bit of a secret. And if anyone comes along and tells you that Nikon cameras have the best backwards-compatibility with older lenses, since the F mount has been around since 1959, you have my permissions to hit them on the head with a K1000.
09-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #11

You could also hold down the DoF preview lever (it has to be in mechanical DoF preview) and it will give you a live meter.