Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member
FHPhotographer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,298
I solve my histogram problem...

In earlier posts I worried the issue of the in-camera histogram not matching the RAW data histogram... but I've solved that pesky histogram problem


FHPhotographer

09-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,547
Well done. Where can I buy that lovely blue paper?
09-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 237
It really wouldn't be an official 'fix' unless that 'lovely blue paper' had "PENTAX" printed in bold type red colored font.
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member
FHPhotographer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,298
Original Poster
About the blue tape...

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well done. Where can I buy that lovely blue paper?
Assuming you really do want to know , Scotch Blue Painter's Tape for Delicate Surfaces #2080 . I use it to temp mount photo prints, or doing actually brush-on-paper painting... it holds for up to two weeks and comes up without damaging the paper. Expensive for tape, but really worth it.
FHPhotog

09-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside of Philly
Posts: 1,564
I think you're making too big of a deal about this. You really can't see a "RAW" histogram, just a histogram of a resulting image after the RAW data is converted to an image (just like you can't see an "unprocessed" RAW image)
09-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,765
Hey FPH, I’m afraid that I may have caused your initial concerns about histograms, it was not my intention to do so, but up until that point in the thread no one else had mentioned it.

I read the ongoing post with interest, there were many other learned folk there expressing more eloquently than I, hence I did not follow up.

I think your ultimate solution may have the mark of a real pro and should get you mentioned in despatches and get you invited to all the right parties.
09-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Clicker's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,241
I don't see that anywhere in my manual?
09-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member
sewebster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 533
As much as I realize that this is meant to be humourous, I do think that it might be worth mentioning that the idea of ignoring the screen and/or histogram on your digital camera is somewhat foolish. The ability to be able to instantly review your shots, despite its flaws, is a valuable part of digital photography.

I often take a lot of shots without looking at the screen (I have the instant review off) because I don't have much time... but when I get home there are always a bunch that have the wrong exposure and I would have noticed had a checked.

09-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member
FHPhotographer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,298
Original Poster
Shooting jpeg or RAW?

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
As much as I realize that this is meant to be humourous, I do think that it might be worth mentioning that the idea of ignoring the screen and/or histogram on your digital camera is somewhat foolish. The ability to be able to instantly review your shots, despite its flaws, is a valuable part of digital photography.

I often take a lot of shots without looking at the screen (I have the instant review off) because I don't have much time... but when I get home there are always a bunch that have the wrong exposure and I would have noticed had a checked.
Are you shooting in jpeg or RAW? In jpeg I'm told you can tailor the camera's settings so they will match the histogram in something like PS?
FHP
09-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Clicker's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,241
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Are you shooting in jpeg or RAW? In jpeg I'm told you can tailor the camera's settings so they will match the histogram in something like PS?
FHP
How to Use Histograms
09-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member
sewebster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 533
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Are you shooting in jpeg or RAW? In jpeg I'm told you can tailor the camera's settings so they will match the histogram in something like PS?
FHP
I don't understand the point of jpeg. I see no advantages, only disadvantages.

Realize that the histogram is not perfect and use it anyway. Having the in camera histogram perfectly match some histogram generated by other software seems quite unimportant to me. The ways that the in camera histogram can be misleading have been covered in the other thread and elsewhere on the internet.
09-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member
FHPhotographer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,298
Original Poster
Well it does matter in the image...

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I don't understand the point of jpeg. I see no advantages, only disadvantages.

Realize that the histogram is not perfect and use it anyway. Having the in camera histogram perfectly match some histogram generated by other software seems quite unimportant to me. The ways that the in camera histogram can be misleading have been covered in the other thread and elsewhere on the internet.
It's important to me when the in-camera histogram and "blinkies" show no blown highlights , and a different histogram with blown highlights shows up in the RAW data when the file is opened.

If the in-camera representation was uniformly different I could adjust to it, but it seems to vary.
FHPhotog
09-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member
sewebster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 533
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
It's important to me when the in-camera histogram and "blinkies" show no blown highlights , and a different histogram with blown highlights shows up in the RAW data when the file is opened.

If the in-camera representation was uniformly different I could adjust to it, but it seems to vary.
FHPhotog
Sure, so if this is a problem then:

a) when the in camera histogram shows blown highlights then you know you have blown highlights: knowledge is gained.

b) when the in camera histogram shows no blown highlights, but is ALMOST there at the top (right) end of the histogram, then you might have blown highlights "for real" and you can dial things down: knowledge is gained.

c) when the in camera histogram is no where near the right end of things you can be quite confident that there are no blown highlights: knowledge is gained.

Therefore the histogram can still be used to gain knowledge.
09-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member
mithrandir's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,890
Foolproof way to protect that delicate screen from scratches.
09-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member
FHPhotographer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,298
Original Poster
Say what?

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Foolproof way to protect that delicate screen from scratches.
What, you mean you can scratch the LCD screen
FHPhotog
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, histogram, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Republicans Solve Healthcare! Rupert General Talk 12 04-24-2010 01:20 PM
Histogram.....what is this? >_< D4rknezz Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 10-26-2009 03:16 PM
using the histogram? BethC Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 09-13-2009 07:06 PM
FA* lens won't autofocus - please help me solve this Matt Miller Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 10-06-2008 08:19 PM
Strange Haloing... Help me solve. Epoch of Entropy Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 07-01-2008 09:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top