Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I solve my histogram problem...

In earlier posts I worried the issue of the in-camera histogram not matching the RAW data histogram... but I've solved that pesky histogram problem

FHPhotographer

09-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done. Where can I buy that lovely blue paper?
09-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #3

It really wouldn't be an official 'fix' unless that 'lovely blue paper' had "PENTAX" printed in bold type red colored font.
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
About the blue tape...

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well done. Where can I buy that lovely blue paper?
Assuming you really do want to know , Scotch Blue Painter's Tape for Delicate Surfaces #2080 . I use it to temp mount photo prints, or doing actually brush-on-paper painting... it holds for up to two weeks and comes up without damaging the paper. Expensive for tape, but really worth it.
FHPhotog

09-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you're making too big of a deal about this. You really can't see a "RAW" histogram, just a histogram of a resulting image after the RAW data is converted to an image (just like you can't see an "unprocessed" RAW image)
09-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Hey FPH, I’m afraid that I may have caused your initial concerns about histograms, it was not my intention to do so, but up until that point in the thread no one else had mentioned it.

I read the ongoing post with interest, there were many other learned folk there expressing more eloquently than I, hence I did not follow up.

I think your ultimate solution may have the mark of a real pro and should get you mentioned in despatches and get you invited to all the right parties.
09-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't see that anywhere in my manual?
09-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As much as I realize that this is meant to be humourous, I do think that it might be worth mentioning that the idea of ignoring the screen and/or histogram on your digital camera is somewhat foolish. The ability to be able to instantly review your shots, despite its flaws, is a valuable part of digital photography.

I often take a lot of shots without looking at the screen (I have the instant review off) because I don't have much time... but when I get home there are always a bunch that have the wrong exposure and I would have noticed had a checked.

09-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shooting jpeg or RAW?

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
As much as I realize that this is meant to be humourous, I do think that it might be worth mentioning that the idea of ignoring the screen and/or histogram on your digital camera is somewhat foolish. The ability to be able to instantly review your shots, despite its flaws, is a valuable part of digital photography.

I often take a lot of shots without looking at the screen (I have the instant review off) because I don't have much time... but when I get home there are always a bunch that have the wrong exposure and I would have noticed had a checked.
Are you shooting in jpeg or RAW? In jpeg I'm told you can tailor the camera's settings so they will match the histogram in something like PS?
FHP
09-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Are you shooting in jpeg or RAW? In jpeg I'm told you can tailor the camera's settings so they will match the histogram in something like PS?
FHP
How to Use Histograms
09-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

FHP
I don't understand the point of jpeg. I see no advantages, only disadvantages.

Realize that the histogram is not perfect and use it anyway. Having the in camera histogram perfectly match some histogram generated by other software seems quite unimportant to me. The ways that the in camera histogram can be misleading have been covered in the other thread and elsewhere on the internet.
09-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it does matter in the image...

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I don't understand the point of jpeg. I see no advantages, only disadvantages.

Realize that the histogram is not perfect and use it anyway. Having the in camera histogram perfectly match some histogram generated by other software seems quite unimportant to me. The ways that the in camera histogram can be misleading have been covered in the other thread and elsewhere on the internet.
It's important to me when the in-camera histogram and "blinkies" show no blown highlights , and a different histogram with blown highlights shows up in the RAW data when the file is opened.

If the in-camera representation was uniformly different I could adjust to it, but it seems to vary.
FHPhotog
09-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It's important to me when the in-camera histogram and "blinkies" show no blown highlights , and a different histogram with blown highlights shows up in the RAW data when the file is opened.

If the in-camera representation was uniformly different I could adjust to it, but it seems to vary.
FHPhotog
Sure, so if this is a problem then:

a) when the in camera histogram shows blown highlights then you know you have blown highlights: knowledge is gained.

b) when the in camera histogram shows no blown highlights, but is ALMOST there at the top (right) end of the histogram, then you might have blown highlights "for real" and you can dial things down: knowledge is gained.

c) when the in camera histogram is no where near the right end of things you can be quite confident that there are no blown highlights: knowledge is gained.

Therefore the histogram can still be used to gain knowledge.
09-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Foolproof way to protect that delicate screen from scratches.
09-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Say what?

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Foolproof way to protect that delicate screen from scratches.
What, you mean you can scratch the LCD screen
FHPhotog