Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Extension Tubes

Hi, I recently bought a D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR to pair with my K-S2. I,m really happy with it so far but was wondering how it would perform if I bought a set of auto extension tubes to use with it and what would be the best brand to buy? Do Pentax still make a set as there aren't any on offer on the Pentax Australia online shop.

06-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Charlier Quote
Do Pentax still make a set as there aren't any on offer on the Pentax Australia online shop.
Nope, and sadly they haven't for a while.

Since the 100mm WR doesn't have an aperture ring, you will need to get a set of tubes with A-type contacts (not just "auto tubes", which only have the aperture lever but not the contacts). Such tubes can be very hard to find.

The only one I could find that's available new is listed here:

Micnova KOOKA KK P25 Copper Macro Extension Tube Auto Focus Close up Image & TTL Exposure for Pentax K1 K3 K5 SLR Cameras (25mm)-in Lens Adapter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The reviews are not good, unfortunately. But at least it's cheap-ish.

Kooka KOOKA KK-P25 Copper Macro Extension Tubes reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There are also these: amazon.com : Movo MT-P56 2-Piece AF Chrome Macro Extension Tube Set for Pentax K DSLR Camera with 20mm, 36mm Tubes : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

*note: they photo's used may not be 100% accurate.
06-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #4

The Movo website shows they indeed make/sell Pentax tubes with the correct contacts and levers. Out-of-stock though:
Movo Photo AF Pentax DSLR Macro Extension Tube Set

Somewhat of a hands-on-review:
Movo macro tubes - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Here's a youtube review of the Kooka tubes for Pentax (in Spanish):

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-20-2018 at 08:07 PM.
06-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have three macro lenses and recently purchased a set of extension tubes. Mine are Kenko branded with the A setting. The set consists of a 12, 20 and 36mm tube. Since i shoot mostly in manual, the A setting is nice to have but not necessary. I believe they are a great addition to any lens collection. I use them on both macro and non-macro lenses. For the price of a nice set, I'd highly recommend them.

Edit: I suggest you purchase a used set, any name brand will do.There's current a Pentax set for sale in the marketplace. It doesn't have the A contacts but that really doesn't matter much.

Edit 2: Guess i didn't read all of your post. Without an aperture ring, you would need the A contacts. You could also purchase a teleconvertor with the contact and deglass it. It would work the same as an extension tube.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 06-20-2018 at 08:28 PM.
06-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
It doesn't have the A contacts but that really doesn't matter much.
It does matter if the lens does not have an aperture ring.
For lenses without an aperture ring, you must have tubes with the A contacts, or you are always shooting fully stopped down.

For working with tubes, or a bellows, almost worth getting any old K, M or A (even M42 w/ adaptor) 50 or 100MM lens, and any old set of tubes. That whole set up (tubes + lens) might run you less than a set of A tubes.
06-20-2018, 11:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Not applicable to a lens without an aperture ring, I know, but I thought I'd mention the type of tubes to avoid, in my experience, are the very cheap ones that screw together and have just one female lens socket to screw on at one end and one male connector for the other. If/when the threads jam, as mine have, the tubes are so flimsy that they distort when trying to get a good grip on them and simply will not unscrew

Other than that, I've used both contactless tubes and bellows on my cameras, using stop-down manual metering, and find it no real inconvenience ... and significantly cheaper than the asking price for most extension tubes with contacts

However, as the OP already has the lens I'd recommend keeping an eye open for poorly described tubes on eBay. Bargains are there to be had for those who know what they're looking for

Last edited by kypfer; 06-21-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: afterthought
06-21-2018, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Paul.

I have a set of Glanz extension tubes fit for your purpose. They are of very high quality and allow in camera control over aperture settings using my D FA Macro 100mm f2.8 WR on Pentax K-1. Highly recommended. They cost me 200+AUD (ouch)

You should be able to acquire a set of 31/21/13 mm extension tubes from fvextras.com recommended retailers here is a link to the 2018 brochure FVE - Product Catalogues. Check out page 97.

Ignore any claims of these tubes working with AF, in my experience they don't. Definitely not with the Macro lens. Otherwise the tubes are of a very high quality with full aperture control.

If you are in Melbourne try contacting Venus at http://www.cameralane.com.au/ . That is where I got mine from.

I wish Pentaxforums would highlight these extension tubes to bring more awareness to members.

Good luck.

Last edited by BROO; 06-21-2018 at 07:26 AM.
06-21-2018, 07:22 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I wish Pentaxforums would highlight these extension tubes to bring more awareness to members
Post a review in the review section of the forums.

Reviews on the Kooka (generally bad - poor fit is the major complaint, one reviewer said the Canon version was decent though)
Kooka KOOKA KK-P25 Copper Macro Extension Tubes reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
06-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Originally posted by BROO
I wish Pentaxforums would highlight these extension tubes to bring more awareness to members
Post a review in the review section of the forums.
Actually they look like these Jessops Auto Extension Tubes PK-A reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database Jessops auto extension tubes but with an extra contact pin. A total of seven pins giving auto aperture control.
06-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm gonna toss out a potentially controversial opinion about 'macro' stuff here based on personal experience using macro techniques for both work and pleasure since the pre-Spotmatic era.

I don't recall ever shooting successful 'macro/close-ups' when the subject or the lighting was changing such that there wasn't time for deliberate, manual focus and exposure/lighting calculations. The single best improvement in half a century was the Spotmatic's TTL metering capability that avoided exposure compensation issues; the second best was the recent ability to confirm results as you shoot via digital 'chimping'.

Although a nerve injury to my left hand's ended my useful manual focusing ability I still can't imagine using auto anything for close-up shooting. In practical terms, an attempt to 'upgrade' to the Tamron auto 90mm macro lens actually costs me time and frustration as I habitually confirm the auto settings anyway.

I'd encourage you to explore the difference between manual and auto techniques for close-up shots. You may be surprised at how much automation may cost you in $$ and efficiency. One thing I'd bet on is that deliberate, manual-everything macro practices will result in more keepers and more personal satisfaction with the results.

If you must try auto extension tubes, a 20-25mm 'gutted' TC with auto contacts will be relatively inexpensive compared to auto tubes and can be quite useful as well. With the glass removed there'll be no optical degradation. Search for info on de-glassed TC's on this site.

Regardless of how you do it, if you're not havin' fun with close-up/macro shooting you're doin' it wrong.

Last edited by pacerr; 06-21-2018 at 12:02 PM.
06-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Completely agree. The depth of field is often very shallow and decisions are being made in real time what part of a scene needs to be in focus to achieve the result. I shoot a lot of flowers with the occasional bug and the technique I most often use is to rock slowly back and forth until the best scene snaps into view, that and a lot of chimping. Even very cheap lenses and full manual can turn out interesting work. This was taken with a K30 in AV with a Helios 77M-4 at minimum focus distance and the mildest of m42 extension tubes.

Last edited by kernos; 06-21-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add info
06-21-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Actually they look like these Jessops Auto Extension Tubes PK-A reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database Jessops auto extension tubes but with an extra contact pin. A total of seven pins giving auto aperture control.
At one time I did a little research and it seemed that Jessop's was/is a distributor for Kenko and the Jessop's tubes were rebranded Kenko tubes. Might be the same deal with Glanz which are supposed to be coming from Japan. The Kenko k-mount tubes have been out of production or not sold for many years but perhaps they still sell them under different brand names.

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I'd encourage you to explore the difference between manual and auto techniques for close-up shots. You may be surprised at how much automation may cost you in $$ and efficiency. One thing I'd bet on is that deliberate, manual-everything macro practices will result in more keepers and more personal satisfaction with the results.

If you must try auto extension tubes, a 20-25mm 'gutted' TC with auto contacts will be relatively inexpensive compared to auto tubes and can be quite useful as well. With the glass removed there'll be no optical degradation. Search for info on de-glassed TC's on this site.
With lenses without aperture rings you need contacts in order to control the aperture.

The problem with using deglassed TCs as extension tubes is the narrow opening. You can get vignetting with some focal length especially if you stack tubes.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-21-2018 at 05:56 PM.
06-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for that info BROO I will definitely follow up on your advise.

When I was a teen (50 yrs ago) my first camera was a Canon AE1 & I used to use a bellows setup, would anyone know if that would be ok with the 100mm Macro lense / better than extension tubes? They are a lot more cumbersome for outside work but great in a studio environment.
06-22-2018, 05:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Bellows will disable communication between the camera and the lens. Therefore you will be unable to adjust the aperture of the 100mm Macro lens you have as it does not have an aperture ring.
Go with the extension tubes.

Another alternative is to try some Raynox adapters DCR-150 Macro conversion lens for D-SLR cameras, 4K and HDV Camcorders. They can be fun too but beware of possible image degradation.

Cheers Craig.