Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #16
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I was slightly tongue-in-cheek with my question
You're absolutely right, of course, the Helios-44 "effect" especially is nowhere near as pronounced on my APS-C cameras, though still quite noticeable in some circumstances.
Unfortunately budgetary restraints limit the likelihood of acquiring a K-1 anytime soon
...ditto.
But I've been quite succesful in making my 44K swirl on APS-C... must have picked up a good copy... bought it in Moscow.
I post my 44K shots in the bokeh thread from time to time (well ok with the giveaway most every day! )

06-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do we want to use it as the designers envisioned the lens they want or what they could make?
How does say the 55 tak on crop compare to the 85 tak on full frame? Which would the designer prefer?
Apologies for an attempted cuop of the thread. Op has answers and more can come but this is now philosophical.
06-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Hi NedKelly,

I have an M42 auto takumar 28/3.5 on my K50 and that works pretty well. I can't comment from experience about any of the other bodies, but all pentaxes should be good as long as they have the option to set stop down measuring and - if you want it - catch in focus. That would ensure you get well-exposed and focussed images.

Enjoy your collection of lenses!
Hans
Thanks Hans. I will look at those bodies while I consider this.

Thanks for your reply

---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 10:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
NedKelly

I will up HoutHans suggestion to the K70 on two basis - the accelerator chip (reduces noise) and increase MPs, with the former being a more important feature.

However, HoutHans suggestion is essentially just as good. By the way, you could take advantage of the aperture block failure issue known in the K30 and K50. Look for either of these cameras on eBay where the seller says aperture block failure OR takes black images. You can get these pretty cheap and you do not need the aperture block when using M42 lenses.
@Wild Mark

Great suggestion! I am all for saving money where I can but the greatest thing about your idea is having low cost bodies that can be used in extreme places and not worry so much about the damage that comes from this. I am def going to look into this. Thanks.

---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 10:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The better the live view, the easier it will be to focus. Obviously the K-1 would probably be the go-to, since you get the full frame sensor and a very large tilting display, but I'd also recommend the KP, K-70, or K-3.
Thanks for the input Adam.

I have not looked too deeply into the K1. Any ideas on how long before the next big model comes along?

Full frame does bring back "ALL" the lens which is nice. I have a LOT of M42 Pentax's that are crying to be used. i need to get moving and find a body for them.

---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 10:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
All the models work the same way with m42 lenses.
So the why.
Good live view makes it easy to focus.
Tilting screen helps with weird angles.
Full frame gives the frame of view the lens was designed for.
Alot of mexapixels helps maximize resolution and allows for crop.
The other why is a great price.
The k1 is the best of everything except its the most expensive.
I dont use the screen much or live view much and like looking through the viewfinder. I am frugal. I would go cheap k50 which takes great 16mp images.(newer will take 20, 24, 36mp photos) Its older but not that old, no tilt screen and don't know about its live view but can be found under $200. It main fault is the aperture which m42 don't use.
There is one on the market here i just searched. Not mine.
Pentax K50 white - 916 shutter count - PentaxForums.com
@ swanlefitte

Thanks for the heads up on the body. Cant go wrong at that sort of price. Is it possible to have too many bodies :-)

I think it may be a combo of bodies to see which ones I like - will have to watch the classifieds like a hawk. One good thing about starting so late - those who want them, long have them by this stage so there is no mad rush on the used bodies. Will keep watching. Thanks for your input.

---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 10:54 PM ----------

I use my recently acquired *istD L2 exclusively for M42 lenses, it's a relatively lightweight body, which helps when carrying a bagful of metal-and-glass lenses!

One of the attractions of using the older prime lenses is that they "force" you to consider the framing and composition, making you change position to get it right. A 6-megapixel file helps enforce this consideration, making it more desirable to "fill the frame" with subject matter, rather than zooming and cropping in the modern idiom

All of my "auto-only" lenses have had the aperture-pin either wedged or glued in the "activated" position.

Experience has demonstrated that an original Asahi Pentax PK-M42 adaptor is superior to the cheaper after-market alternatives, being manufactured to much tighter tolerances, making it far easier to remove and refit, if desired, without the need for tools.

One proviso - my M42 bellows couldn't be used on my cameras because the forward bulge of the prism/flash housing prevented the bellows from being fully rotated to screw them on. In this instance the bellows had one of the "flanged, non-infinity-focus" PK-M42 adaptors permanently fitted.

Enjoy
@ Kyper,

I hear you on the weight and carrying.....except I dont have to carry them! I have carriers to carry the gear so wieght is not TOO big a concern. Still have to consider it as cant go crazy. I have some BIG Takumars to lug around. I dont know anything about the *istD L2 - will have to read up on it.
06-30-2018, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NedKelly Quote
I have not looked too deeply into the K1. Any ideas on how long before the next big model comes along?
Nobody knows to be honest. What we do know is that Ricoh is working on a new APS-C flagship. That will probably be their next camera release. How long it takes for that tech to be transferred into a FF model is anyone's guess. There's also the 645 refresh to keep in mind...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, does this mean the K-1 will operate the M42 lens' auto-aperture mechanism, or just that it gives one an opportunity to fully experience the vignetting and outer field distortion of many of the older lenses
The M42 aficionados on this forum wish for a fully functional M42 digital camera, particularly one that operates with open-aperture Takumar lens (SMC Tak) metering, but I don't think it will ever come to be without a huge cash infusion for the R&D.

Long and the short, we need to get Donald Trump addicted to Pentax.
08-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #21
pxt

If you afraid that M42 lens will stuck then buy used old camera like K20D in good price.