Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2018, 04:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Cards not formatted message on K1

I have been using the same 2 sd cards for a while in my K1 and yesterday when turning on the camera I get the message that the card is not formatted. The card seems to work fine after reformatting. Anyone else experience this issue?

06-24-2018, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably a corruption issue.
Is it a brand card or no-name?
06-24-2018, 04:49 AM   #3

Try doing a full or overwrite format using SD Formatter on your PC or Mac.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

An in camera format will just do a quick format which just re-writes a blank copy of the file tables and will not detect corruption in the actual data sectors. Or the cards could be going bad.
06-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You could also try a memtest software.

06-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wmsnyder65 Quote
I have been using the same 2 sd cards for a while in my K1 and yesterday when turning on the camera I get the message that the card is not formatted. The card seems to work fine after reformatting. Anyone else experience this issue?
Yep, for me it is caused by reading a card on a computer (in my case a Mac Air), then removing the card manually without properly closing it out from the OS (right click on the card icon then select "eject xxx(card name)". There is probably a similar card logout procedure on Windows but I'm not online with my Windows machine right now so I can't check.

Last edited by baldeagle21b; 06-24-2018 at 06:56 AM.
06-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #6

I get the card corrupted messages when I had the card in a card reader and unplugged it without ejecting it first. Formatting works (and it's recommended to do it every now and then anyways) but if you want to avoid it, I found that putting the card back into the card reader and doing a safe eject often fixes the problem, too.
06-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It only happens when the card is coming form the computer. I simply reformat and continue. If you stick the card back into your mac it will still rad it, so it's some deal with the camera not recognizing it's own format. If I had trouble getting my images off the computer into the mac, I'd be more concerned. As of now, I take the card out, make sure it's inserted correctly and reformat using the camera. That fixes the problem.

06-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
I get the card corrupted messages when I had the card in a card reader and unplugged it without ejecting it first. Formatting works (and it's recommended to do it every now and then anyways) but if you want to avoid it, I found that putting the card back into the card reader and doing a safe eject often fixes the problem, too.
I've only had this once, but putting it back in the computer and ejecting it properly fixed it.
06-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Try doing a full or overwrite format using SD Formatter on your PC or Mac.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

An in camera format will just do a quick format which just re-writes a blank copy of the file tables and will not detect corruption in the actual data sectors. Or the cards could be going bad.
This ^ ^ ^

Followed by an in-camera format.

Steve
06-24-2018, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Probably a corruption issue.
Is it a brand card or no-name?
One card is Sandisk and the other is Lexar.
06-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wmsnyder65 Quote
Anyone else experience this issue?
I did loose the data because of this. When ever I get this error, I had to format(using Camera) and also power-cycle the camera. If I did not power-cycle, I used to loose the pictures taken in between "time of formatting" to "time of power-cycle". I was able to reproduce part of this problem. I was getting this error consistently, after I use the card on Ubuntu 16.04.

Steps: (I repeated this 5-4 times, and result was loss of data, every time )
1) Delete the files in SD card using Ubuntu machine
2) Load the card in to K1
3) K1 shows "card not formatted..."
4) Format the card using K1
5) Take pictures (without turning off K1)
6) Check the pictures in K1 using preview (they are there)
7) Load the card in to Ubuntu, files are missing

Root cause for format error?
I do not know what started this error, but it went away once I formatted the card using Win7. I use the card across OS( Win7, Win10 and Ubuntu). May be one of the OS could have corrupted the card.

Symptoms
It was 64GB card and was using EXFAT. Ubuntu was able to identify the filesystem correctly.
06-25-2018, 02:59 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Root cause for format error?
I do not know what started this error, but it went away once I formatted the card using Win7. I use the card across OS( Win7, Win10 and Ubuntu). May be one of the OS could have corrupted the card.

Symptoms
It was 64GB card and was using EXFAT. Ubuntu was able to identify the filesystem correctly.
I think you'll find plenty of warnings not to format SD cards using the format function of an OS. The OS format may add or use files and structures that are not compatible with other systems. Use SD Formatter (linked above) which will format the card "complying with the SD File System Specification created by the SD Association (SDA)". Card manufacturers use these same standards for their cards.
06-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have similar issues at times and can't quite figure it out.
It seems to me that moving the Camera when the USB cable is connected may cause a problem where all data is lost and the screen reads SD card not formatted. Thinking it is either a faulty USB cable or the connection is faulty within the camera. Any advice? I am thinking of taking the camera in to have it checked out.
06-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just curious, I've owned a Pentax K30, K50 and K5iis. I have never formatted a card and regularly swap them onto a PC to read from Lightroom. The PC is Windows 10. I have never received this message. Any thoughts?
06-25-2018, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Just curious, I've owned a Pentax K30, K50 and K5iis. I have never formatted a card and regularly swap them onto a PC to read from Lightroom. The PC is Windows 10. I have never received this message. Any thoughts?
My wife has a Mac and a K-5 and has never had the issue. My thought is any thought one might have is probably irrelevant. All you need to know is what to do if it happens.