Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help me think... K3ii or KP or M43 or...

I've been perusing many similar threads, and I've run the Pentax DSLR comparison tool, but I'll appreciate any help as I think through things... (Also contributing to the monthly post total!)
Parameters:
  • I am thinking about a new body, and I have until ~November to get it.
  • I want to keep cost ~$500. I'm fine buying used.
  • I want to use the k-mount lenses I now have.
  • I am now using a K-3 and K-30. The quality of the images, lowlight functioning, and other features make the K-3 a perceptibly better camera for me. I would like to keep image quality at the K-3 level or better.
  • For my purposes, I want to have two bodies. For now, I've had the DA 16-85 on the K-3 and the DA 10-17FE on the K-30. I've tended to bring along something faster for museum work (DA 21 or DA 50) or something small for street (DA 40XS !) or something long if I anticipate telephoto (DAL 55-300).
  • Smaller size and lighter weight for the body are positives.
  • Weather resistance is a positive as is the ultrasonic dust removal (as compared to sensor shake).
All that said, I'm looking to upgrade my K-30 body. So, I'm considering:
  • K3ii used: It would be nice to have identical buttons as my K-3. I would use the GPS to tag locations. I like the image quality. Uses same battery as K-3. BUT: I'd prefer to have something smaller/lighter.
  • KP used: It looks like this would possibly offer even better image quality than a K3 and especially better lowlight performance. It is a bit smaller/lighter than a K-3. I think I would use the tilt screen at times. BUT: I don't know that even used it is available at $500; it uses different battery than K-3.
  • Go mirrorless? I'd be tempted to look for a K-01, but I'm not sure about image quality, and I do really prefer to use a viewfinder. I'm not quite sure where to even start looking at M43 or other mirrorless cameras. They certainly would be smaller, but do I lose any advantage in size if I need to attach an adapter in order to use my K-mount lenses? What should I be even be looking at to get similar image quality? If I go to M43, isn't that worse for wide-angle shots which are important to me? (I.e., my DA 10-17 on APS-C > ~15-25mm equivalent; on M43 > ~ 20-34mm) Is there anything else I should know about using K-mount lenses on mirrorless? (I'm aware that I'd probably lose autofocus on most.) Or do I give up on using K-mount lenses with a mirrorless and just use it for the times when I want to go light or telephoto? Is it possible to get a decent (used) mirrorless for $500?
As noted above, I have some months before a decision, but any insight/experience from others would be appreciated.

06-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
. . . . . . As noted above, I have some months before a decision, but any insight/experience from others would be appreciated.
first

the DA 40mm F2.8 is the best lens in its class - that cannot be disputed

Second - if cost is an issue, consider another K 3 plus the o-gps1

Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

when not using the O-GPS 1 you would have an on board flash with the K 3

third - have you seen this chart

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.

Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
06-25-2018, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're wanting to stay in the $500 range, and lightweight, consider the K70. Image quality should be better than the K3, but it's a smaller, lighter package and much less than the KP (which I believe is still over $900 new).
06-25-2018, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I highly doubt you will find a KP at $500 or less used. The next best thing would be a K-70. High ISO IQ is a bit better than the K-3/3II. The only feature it doesn't have is the ultrasonic dust remover. It's still the same old sensor shake dust removal. I'm pretty sure you can score a K-70 for about +-$450 used.

You might also be lucky enough to find a used K-3II body for about $500. I usually see them in the +-$650 range.

06-25-2018, 12:54 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was certain I would end up with a Canon or Nikon until I found this website: Camera Decision - Compare Digital Cameras
I’m now the very happy owner of a K-70
06-25-2018, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your budget pretty much rules out the K3 II and KP. I have to agree with those that said K 70. It will probably take a while to find a used one for 500 but they do show up at this price on occasion. You could get a new one for about 600 at Adorama.
Pentax K-70 DSLR Body, Black 16243

Last edited by steve_k; 06-25-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
06-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not quite sure where to even start looking at M43 or other mirrorless cameras.
Well start at the bottom.Panasonic GM1(no evf) or GM5 which has an evf.Brilliant little cameras that are same size as Q series.U$500 should get a kit lens too(12-32mm )which are very sharp.

06-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Used K-3 II from the forums here or a K-70 so your actions when shooting don't need major retraining.
06-25-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #9

I prefer the K-3II as my job is in studio. Some major differences I find between K-3II and K-70 are:

- More dedicated buttons so I don't have to fiddle into the menus to change most settings.
- Battery grip for my K-3II makes it look more impressive K-70 has no grip.
- During breaks in the studio work, I can transfer the photos to my laptop pretty fast as the K-3II has USB3 interface.
- The menu screens rotate to match the camera orientation, so its easy to see and make adjustments.
- I believe K-3II battery holds more power than the K-70's

Good luck!
06-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy a used K3 (whatever) or even a K5 ii (whatever). Assuming a good copy you will not regret this.
06-25-2018, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all! I was thinking about the K-70, but if I go w/ APS-C DSLR, I think I'd try to hold out for a used K-3ii. Maybe in a few months, and if Pentax announces a replacement for the K-3ii / KP, maybe one of them used will drop into my price range. Thanks again!
06-26-2018, 04:59 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, all! I was thinking about the K-70, but if I go w/ APS-C DSLR, I think I'd try to hold out for a used K-3ii. Maybe in a few months, and if Pentax announces a replacement for the K-3ii / KP, maybe one of them used will drop into my price range. Thanks again!
be sure to be checking the forum's market place

Keh.com might be another option
06-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good luck! I'm sure you'll find a good deal if you keep your eyes alert the next months.

—I myself should think it through those couple of camera bodies (K-3ii vs K-70) haha I've been working with the K-500 since I started in photography, lol.
07-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've still been looking around, knowing that I still have a few months before getting another body.

How about the new Fujifilm X-T100 using my Pentax lenses? (Initial price is $600 body only, $700 w/ 15-45 lens - Hopefully prices will come down a bit in a few months.)

The Fujifilm is small, about half the weight of a K3, uses APS-C, and has both an articulating touchscreen and an electronic viewfinder.

It isn't weather-resistant, nor does it have in-body image stabilization.
It does video better than Pentax, however, especially if I pay an extra $100 and get the 15-45 kit lens. It has bluetooth and pairs w/ my phone so I can apparently geotag images along with viewing them.

If I get the right Pentax K > Fujifilm X adapter, I am apparently able to use aperture mode shooting, so I could use any of my lenses in manual focus.

I see a few people on this forum are using the more expensive Fujifilm X-T20 or X-M1 with their Pentax lenses, so it seems doable...

Am I missing anything? Other advice? Thanks!
07-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After all this is a Pentax forum. Unlikely that you will get the best informed help regarding Fuji vs Pentas