Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
After all this is a Pentax forum. Unlikely that you will get the best informed help regarding Fuji vs Pentas
I'm keeping my Pentax K-3 as my primary camera (usually w/ the 16-85 on it), but I'm looking for something smaller to use as a backup / street camera. And I want to be able to use my collection of K-mount lenses. I would be happy if Pentax came out with an updated K-01 with a viewfinder, updated APS-C, etc., but I don't think that's going to happen.

07-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I'm keeping my Pentax K-3 as my primary camera (usually w/ the 16-85 on it), but I'm looking for something smaller to use as a backup / street camera. And I want to be able to use my collection of K-mount lenses. I would be happy if Pentax came out with an updated K-01 with a viewfinder, updated APS-C, etc., but I don't think that's going to happen.
Isn't that the KP?
07-04-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks, all! I was thinking about the K-70, but if I go w/ APS-C DSLR, I think I'd try to hold out for a used K-3ii. Maybe in a few months, and if Pentax announces a replacement for the K-3ii / KP, maybe one of them used will drop into my price range. Thanks again!
I just sold my Backup K-3II for $470 here on the forum...1630 clicks in Mint condition ! It is doable.
BTW.....forget the M43 system , you will never be happy down the road.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 07-04-2018 at 02:26 PM.
07-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Listen to Ronald Oakes!

07-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Listen to Ronald Oakes!
^^^ This
07-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I just sold my Backup K-3II for $470 here on the forum...1630 clicks in Mint condition ! It is doable. BTW.....forget the M43 system , you will never be happy down the road.
Hmm... I must have missed seeing your K-3II...
Yes, I've decided that M43 is not for me. APS-C still is my preferred format.
If I could find a used KP for ~$500, I'd consider that, but the Fujifilm X-T100 I mentioned is still quite a bit smaller.
Thanks again, all!
07-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever you pick it will be a great choice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

as long as it's a Pentax.

07-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I've still been looking around, knowing that I still have a few months before getting another body.

How about the new Fujifilm X-T100 using my Pentax lenses? (Initial price is $600 body only, $700 w/ 15-45 lens - Hopefully prices will come down a bit in a few months.)

The Fujifilm is small, about half the weight of a K3, uses APS-C, and has both an articulating touchscreen and an electronic viewfinder.

It isn't weather-resistant, nor does it have in-body image stabilization.
It does video better than Pentax, however, especially if I pay an extra $100 and get the 15-45 kit lens. It has bluetooth and pairs w/ my phone so I can apparently geotag images along with viewing them.

If I get the right Pentax K > Fujifilm X adapter, I am apparently able to use aperture mode shooting, so I could use any of my lenses in manual focus.

I see a few people on this forum are using the more expensive Fujifilm X-T20 or X-M1 with their Pentax lenses, so it seems doable...

Am I missing anything? Other advice? Thanks!
EVF is not for everyone, I myself dislike it a great deal and hated Point and Shoot and Bridge cameras that I tried with them. Future firmware and support from Fuji would be my concern since I thought they got out of the camera biz.

Do you shoot video much? If you do then you were barking up the wrong tree when you asked your initial question here. Most folks who post a lot are fans of what Pentax produces and what the capabilities of the camera are. Adapters are probably better than I have experienced in my short time as a DSLR owner.
07-05-2018, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Future firmware and support from Fuji would be my concern since I thought they got out of the camera biz.
Hmm, well you thought that one wrong....but reading between the lines,you may have them confused with Samsung.

---------- Post added 07-05-18 at 08:29 PM ----------

The Fujifilm is small, about half the weight of a K3, uses APS-C, and has both an articulating touchscreen and an electronic viewfinder.

It isn't weather-resistant, nor does it have in-body image stabilization.
It does video better than Pentax, however, especially if I pay an extra $100 and get the 15-45 kit lens. It has bluetooth and pairs w/ my phone so I can apparently geotag images along with viewing them.

This stabilisation looks OK, i own the 15-45 and its a awesome "little" lens.
07-05-2018, 04:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Whatever you pick it will be a great choice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

as long as it's a Pentax.
Yes, always better to support our favorite brand...
07-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax needs you.
07-05-2018, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

It's little difficult to understand the dismissal of the K-70. I aways buy one extra battery, buy two and the battery issue is solved. I almost always shoot in AV mode, the only time I dive into the menus is to enable Pixel shift. All other settings are programmed into the user dials, of which the K-70 has 3. It doesn't have the "big camera" prestige of a K-1 or K-3, but if you were considering 4/3, that seriously cannot be a drawback.

Fenwoodian, who is so picky I find him difficult to talk to and who I'm pretty sure has me on his ignore list, likes his .That should be enough to sell 100 of them right there.
Pentax K-70 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
07-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's little difficult to understand the dismissal of the K-70. I aways buy one extra battery, buy two and the battery issue is solved. I almost always shoot in AV mode, the only time I dive into the menus is to enable Pixel shift. All other settings are programmed into the user dials, of which the K-70 has 3. It doesn't have the "big camera" prestige of a K-1 or K-3, but if you were considering 4/3, that seriously cannot be a drawback.

Fenwoodian, who is so picky I find him difficult to talk to and who I'm pretty sure has me on his ignore list, likes his .That should be enough to sell 100 of them right there.
Pentax K-70 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
I know Pentax is said to have dealt with their aperture control issue for the K-70, but I'll have trouble ever trusting a camera from that line again. In some sense Pentax gains, because I'll eventually purchase a {more expensive} KP, but in some sense Pentax loses because they'll have to wait an extra year or more for their money
07-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm pretty sure has me on his ignore list
Is there no way for you to tell if you're on someone's "Ignore List"?
Seems kind of wasteful to respond when he doesn't know you're saying anythng
07-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Isn't that the KP?
A KP is smaller than usual, but it still has mirror and prism.

K-01 is smaller still and is MILC {"mirrorless"}; any viewfinder would be an Electronic ViewFinder {EVF}.