Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A KP is smaller than usual, but it still has mirror and prism.

K-01 is smaller still and is MILC {"mirrorless"}; any viewfinder would be an Electronic ViewFinder {EVF}.
Yes the K-01 is mirrorless, its great strength. But is it really smaller than the KP?

07-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes the K-01 is mirrorless, its great strength. But is it really smaller than the KP?

See size comparison here: Compare camera dimensions side by side
07-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems to be mainly the pentaprism. The bodies themselves are very close.
07-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is there no way for you to tell if you're on someone's "Ignore List"?
Seems kind of wasteful to respond when he doesn't know you're saying anythng
other than to attempt to send them a PM (which will bounce), there is no way to tell...

you can see that someone has said something/responded to a thread, but there will be nothing in the message box for that response...

07-05-2018, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

To me this seems like a no brainer for the K-70. Already having the premium-body K-3, and looking for a smaller, lighter, 2nd backup body which has some perks of its own- in this case a swing-out back LCD screen for shooting from difficult positions, including a special setup for a selfie with a friend, hand held, plus superior low-light, high-ISO performance, and more.

I did something similar a few years ago. For my 2nd smaller, lighter backup body to my K-5 IIs, I bought a new KS-2 at a very good price deal. I have not regretted that decision, and am delighted with this camera.

Right now, B&H has new K-70 bodies only $95 off budget here, warranty, etc. and a deal including a memory card and an extra camera bag- making up most or all of that $95.
07-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I won't deny the appeal of a K-70 or KP, but I'd really like to get something smaller than the K-30 I already have. Compared to the K-30, the K-70 is not much help. (cf here) The KP is slightly bigger and heavier than the the K-70. The Fujifilm X-T100 is noticeably smaller than the K-70 (here) and even smaller and lighter than a K-01 (here).
07-05-2018, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I won't deny the appeal of a K-70 or KP, but I'd really like to get something smaller than the K-30 I already have. Compared to the K-30, the K-70 is not much help. (cf here) The KP is slightly bigger and heavier than the the K-70. The Fujifilm X-T100 is noticeably smaller than the K-70 (here) and even smaller and lighter than a K-01 (here).
If you are just looking for the smallest camera, I don't see where the decision is that has to be made. If that's concern #1, just get the smallest. Why are we discussing this?

07-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm looking, if possible, for a smaller camera that still delivers quality comparable to my K-3 and for which I can use my Pentax lenses and that I can acquire (used or new) for around $500.

Thanks to the input from you all, I have at least eliminated any M43 camera and want to stay w/ APC-C at least. I had also been thinking of a used K-3ii in order to have a camera with the same functions and layout as my K-3 with the benefit of geotagging, but the more I've thought about it throughout this thread, the more I've realized that smaller and lighter are preferred qualities.

I've been encouraged to consider the K-70 or KP as alternatives. They are not significantly different than the K-3ii in size/weight, but do offer other pros/cons.
It will probably come down to what shows up in the next few months in the right 'bang for the buck.'
Thanks again all for your input. It does help to 'talk out loud' as I think these things through.