Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Started using Pentax DSLRs 12 yrs ago when I bought the K0D, which I still use. Never switched brand officially although I favour the Oly EM-10 with 17/1.8 combo for travel.

06-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I wouldn't know. I grew up shooting K-mount on film. When I bought my first DSLR I was willing to switch, but then I handled the K10D in the store and stayed with Pentax.

No way I'm switching now.
That was pretty much my experience. I’d also had a little Canon Ixus, which was a solid, well-made little P&S (along with a Minox 35EL, which wasn’t but that was part of its charm) and caused me to look at the Canon 10D when the *istD came out. The Canon was bigger and felt particularly disappointing in its build quality, so the Pentax was an easy choice, especially as I had a range of K-mount and M42 lenses.
06-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #33
Forum Member

Same for me, bought a Pentax MV in 1980, semi automatic film camera. Perfect for me and served me well until my daughter dropped it.
At that stage Pentax had no digital cameras, so I bought a Canon A80 , a 4mpx point and shoot. Great little camera, good colours and good images.
Same daughter dropped it, got a Canon SX130IS as a replacement, same deal, good colours and images.

Eventually Pentax came out with digital but it wasn't till 2009 when I picked up a K200D, just felt right in my hands, and all the old manual lenses still worked fine. Swapped the Sigma 18-55 for a Pentax 18-55, a big improvement.

Went on a night/light paint shoot with 6 others, all Canon and Nikon's. My images with the 18-55 were much sharper than the others, even the Teacher was impressed. So I think I made the right choice.

And I matched some of the images from my daughters wedding with the DA 35 f2.4 and the professional photographers. Yep Pentax does make good stuff.
So it's very hard to walk away from them now, completely sold.

Greg

PS, still have the Canon P&S for my daughter to touch, she's not handling my K200 or K70. I see a trend here
06-29-2018, 03:21 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjosephs58wt Quote
I have shot Pentax since the mid 80's. My last camera was the K-3 with a huge variety of DA* lenses. I sold all that equipment to get a Sony A6300 and all Zeiss glass. I was looking for a lighter camera. After about a year I am regretting my decision. I have found that Sony succeeded in making my gear lighter and that is about all. Overall I find the image quality nowhere near what I got from the Pentax. Lowlight performance is not as good as the Pentax and anything over F11 is almost usable. I am about the dump the Sony gear and get back into Pentax.

Anyone else try a different brand only to find themselves going back to a Pentax?
I considered switching a few times because of lack of specific lenses in pentax portfolio, one was long macro, other one was telezoom.
I was patient enough to get the 150-450 and lately to buy a FA* macro, now waiting for for K3 II replacement. Now that my portfolio is pretty much set I wont change for any other SLR based system.
Unless a professional with specific needs, offerings for amateurs like us are almost similar accross brands.

Going sony and light weight could have been RX100 type of companion as a complement. That is what I picked few years ago with no regret and no unloyal feeling to Pentax

06-29-2018, 04:08 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjosephs58wt Quote
I have shot Pentax since the mid 80's. My last camera was the K-3 with a huge variety of DA* lenses. I sold all that equipment to get a Sony A6300 and all Zeiss glass. I was looking for a lighter camera. After about a year I am regretting my decision. I have found that Sony succeeded in making my gear lighter and that is about all. Overall I find the image quality nowhere near what I got from the Pentax. Lowlight performance is not as good as the Pentax and anything over F11 is almost usable. I am about the dump the Sony gear and get back into Pentax.

Anyone else try a different brand only to find themselves going back to a Pentax?
What's your feeling about the Zeiss glass versus the Pentax? What lenses did you dispose of? It would be interesting to hear a comparison.
06-29-2018, 04:22 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I have lost my K-01 and miss it so much the K3 is good and all but the other is missed.
06-29-2018, 04:37 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I've owned Pentax systems from the 6x7 film days, including a 645n, K5, K3, K1, 645D, 645Z. I miss the color rendition of the 645D vs the Z. And I miss the low noise performance of the Z Unfortunately, I need the ability to shoot ultra wide for some of my work, so i sold the Z. I miss it at times. I'm pretty content with my K1, a SONY a7/3 and a Panny GH4. The three cover all my low light, astro, wide angle, video and travel needs. I doubt I'll be upgrading any time soon.

To be honest I was considering to jump into the Sony system. CDW k1 and a7/3 has very different performance?

D.

06-29-2018, 05:13 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Never had any interest in switching. When I chose Pentax I did so for reasons that are still valid today. I have zero interest in Fuji, Canon and Nikon. If I ever HAD to switch (Pentax closing shop, essentially) I'd probably go with Sony but would regret it for a long time.
06-29-2018, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

I have had Pentax equipment since 1968. I have also bought , used and still have Mamiya medium format, Leica Rangefinder, Canon, Olympus, etc...all film . You tend to buy stuff over half a century.

But Pentax has always been my main system. I've got an S1a, ES 11, K1000 (wife's camera *), K10D, Km, K5, K1 and assorted lenses, flashes, etc. So Pentax has been my main go to, but I've also bought/used other manufacturer's equipment through the years.

Around 1974, I just had my Pentax S1a , 55mm lens and a 135mm Takumar. That year I almost switched to Nikon. I had the opportunity to buy a new, old stock Nikon Photomic F with a Nikkor F 1.4 50 'normal' lens. I hemmed and hawed, but then decided on the Pentax ES 11. Came close to switching in '74.

Then in 2007, I thought about getting a Nikon D200. I hadn't really got into the digital SLR stuff yet. So I thought that would be the time to switch systems. I wasn't impressed with what Pentax had, digitally. But then they brought out the K10D and I was 'hooked' once again. Lots of features and what a camera...my opinion still holds true today about this model. Needless to say, I got the K10D.

Then in 2017 I decided to go full frame. I thought maybe I should make the break and get a Canon 5D111 and the 24-105 L lens. I talked to a camera store guy who really knows cameras and the business. His recommendation, get the K-1 as opposed to the 5D111 or the Nikon D750. Why I asked ? Because the Pentax K-1 is the better camera.

I bought my K-1 and I'm very pleased with it. So a Pentaxian for 50 years this past February.

I do have two other digital cameras, a Panasonic with a 'Leica; lens. The 'Leica' lens on the Panasonic us quite unlike my Leitz Elmar 50mm collapsible on my rangefinder...doesn't have the same quality to take pics at all. Also have a Canon G 12. digital. Good, little carry around camera. No complaints. Built well.

* Before we were married my wife had a Pentax K1000. I met her through a lonely hearts advert I had placed...looking for a wife. Must have camera. Send picture of camera.

No I didn't do that. She did have a K1000, but that fact and camera were just incidental. I have to say that, she reads my stuff.

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-29-2018 at 07:01 AM.
06-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Never had any interest in switching. When I chose Pentax I did so for reasons that are still valid today. I have zero interest in Fuji, Canon and Nikon. If I ever HAD to switch (Pentax closing shop, essentially) I'd probably go with Sony but would regret it for a long time.
What do you see in Sony that you don't see in other mirrorless solutions like Fuji, Lumix, and Olympus? Just curious to get your take on it.
06-29-2018, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
What do you see in Sony that you don't see in other mirrorless solutions like Fuji, Lumix, and Olympus? Just curious to get your take on it.
Don't like Fuji's prices and ergonomics (it makes for nice hipster product shots, but it's less functional). Oly/Pana use 4/3 which is not a format I like.

Sony has the advantage of pouring enormous amounts of R&D in their products development. They are committed and have good success. While their ergonomics and products features are not as good as Pentax, they're ok. AF is impressive. Their lenses are also very expensive, however.

Pentax still has what I prefer. I'm really happy with the brand and its products.
06-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #42
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ANGUS YOUNG Quote
To be honest I was considering to jump into the Sony system. CDW k1 and a7/3 has very different performance?

D.
The SONY with the Sigma 24-105 F4 ART lens delivers about as good an image as you will get from a zoom on a 24 meg body. That said, the K1 has all the features I need for night sky and nightscape work, as well as occasional pixel shift files for high resolution landscapes. I bought the SONY primarily for 4K video, particularly in low light situations. But I find myself using it more and more for casual stills. Image quality rivals the K1 and is far superior to the GH4 in overall image quality. I use the GH4 as a small body that I take with me most of the time. The GH4 value is now low enough that if it is lost or stolen it isn't the end of the world and image quality is far better than that from a phone.