Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2018, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #1

Anyone else regret selling their Pentax equipment and going to another brand?

I have shot Pentax since the mid 80's. My last camera was the K-3 with a huge variety of DA* lenses. I sold all that equipment to get a Sony A6300 and all Zeiss glass. I was looking for a lighter camera. After about a year I am regretting my decision. I have found that Sony succeeded in making my gear lighter and that is about all. Overall I find the image quality nowhere near what I got from the Pentax. Lowlight performance is not as good as the Pentax and anything over F11 is almost usable. I am about the dump the Sony gear and get back into Pentax.

Anyone else try a different brand only to find themselves going back to a Pentax?

06-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I must be something like a compulsive hoarder... if I'd switched, I think I'd just keep everything
06-27-2018, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have gone so far as to have a different brand camera in my shopping cart. And then thought it over and decided to stay with Pentax. I have handled other brand cameras in the stores and each time decided that the Pentax gear still felt better in use than anything else I had picked up.

I do have a Sony RX-100 that I keep in my bag for when I need a tiny camera, but that is extra, not a replacement.
06-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
CDW
Site Supporter

I've owned Pentax systems from the 6x7 film days, including a 645n, K5, K3, K1, 645D, 645Z. I miss the color rendition of the 645D vs the Z. And I miss the low noise performance of the Z Unfortunately, I need the ability to shoot ultra wide for some of my work, so i sold the Z. I miss it at times. I'm pretty content with my K1, a SONY a7/3 and a Panny GH4. The three cover all my low light, astro, wide angle, video and travel needs. I doubt I'll be upgrading any time soon.

06-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #5

I've sold my Pentax gear two or three years ago, only because there is no Pentax market share in Argentina (buying equipment online wasn't an option due to the fact that import taxes double the actual cost of the product) . Nevertheless I keeped the M and A lenses and I'm looking to get a k5 ii just for fun. I own a d610 and really miss the Pentax feel.

06-27-2018, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, but I sold all my Canon gear 9 years ago to move to Pentax...and didn’t regret it :-)
06-27-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sad (?) but true - I've only ever owned Pentax gear since my first camera (ME Super) 35 years ago

06-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ever since my K1000 I have used only Pentax SLRs. Along the way I has a couple of Rollei 35s which were small, convenient and produced great pictures. I've had a series of Panasonic P,n,Rs which are very competent and punch above their weight. I dabbled with Sony for the video.
But whenever I want to do anything serious I reach for the Pentax, their form factor has always suited me and the user interface on digitals is a model.
I've tried Canikon, particularly a friends full frame Nikon set up but they don't work for me.
Of course I'd like better video and faster AF but Pentax has the best balance of capabilities and usability for me.
06-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #9

I've had the pleasure of shooting Pentax from my youth. I'm spoiled to the brand personality. I've also had the option over time of shooting a few Canon and Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, as I have friends who own them and we share sometimes for fun, and my siblings own Canon and Nikon, so I frequently get to shoot their gear when we are together. For me, the various Canon/Nikon gear in similar price ranges just doesn't begin to hold up in terms of capability, features, and image quality. Maybe it's my familiarity with Pentax, or with my gear specifically, but I get better images using my Pentax gear than with the big name brands.

At this point, with even the small cadre of lenses I've acquired, I wouldn't be able to switch without spending a small fortune, and that's not wise or thrifty. As long as I keep getting good images and having fun, I won't switch.
06-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have to admit the thought of taking a break from the K-mount ecosystem and jumping to FE-mount has crossed my mind. Last year I bought a used A7 II with IBIS for my manual focus lenses. As an Av and manual mode shooter, it works well for me. I don't need any funky creative modes. The ergonomics aren't great but I can tolerate it. I considered slowly getting three zooms + three primes. Something for special events, like a fast f/2.8 zoom or a massive f/1.2 prime, could always be rented once in a while.

I also thought about the X-mount ecosystem. Something about Fuji just exudes "cool" to me. The lenses are really sharp ... but I really, really like IBIS so I scratch out the idea.

But, then I ask myself, what's the point? Changing my gear isn't going to radically change my photography. I use what I have and enjoy it. Time spent photographing is time well spent. Time spent shopping is time I could have been photographing!
06-27-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #11
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The grass always looks greener on the other side.
06-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never sold out completely but I have explored switching several times but I am always happy when I give that up and come back. Remember I have been almost all in with Pentax since the late 70s so there has been plenty of temptation. It was the K-01 which pulled me back from the abyss one time.
06-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Not really. The closest I've been is that I've considered getting a micro four thirds system as a smaller supplement. Then I got a GR instead

I have never felt limited by the AF in any way and am not interested in video, so no reason to look elsewhere.
06-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was wanting something lighter & smaller so I did a lot of research and sold my Canon 5D & all my Canon gear and jumped into Pentax with the K-5 II a few years ago. Best move for photography I did. I am now using the Pentax KP.
06-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Except for point and shoot cameras I have only ever owned Pentax since 1969. I have used other equipment but never have found a reason to switch.