Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think that I should sell my kit and get a Nikon D700!

Not!

I have thought about it, but examine my signature. There is much more for me to think about than fast focus - since I have some nice lenses, but most of the other stuff I have can be used with any brand camera (tripods, monopods, lighting, etc).

Here is my thought: full frame, fast autofocus! Wow! $3K Ouch! - just for the body.

Well there is more to it. How about the positives of the Pentax system? Weather proofing body and lenses? In-body stabilization? Already have a kit that is pretty darn good? 14.6 MP? Hmmm.... A lot to give up for faster focus....

I am sure that many people are looking and thinking about it. I just thought that I would say it.

Yes, I am stirring the pot, but let's get it out. You cannot do better if you have a good Pentax system (with the same money).

09-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought the best camera I could afford. If you didn't, why didn't you? Is that reason any less valid after the introduction of the Nikon?

Thank you
Russell
09-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Russell,

In case you didn't get my point, here it is: I am defending Pentax. You should have read the post, not only the title. My point is that everyone is going ga-ga about the Nikon D700, and initially I was curious. But then I compared my Kit with what the Nikon D700/D300 would have been had I decided to trade. I would have lost the features that I appreciate most.

Last edited by TomInJax; 09-13-2008 at 08:12 PM.
09-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
Not!

Yes, I am stirring the pot, but let's get it out. You cannot do better if you have a good Pentax system (with the same money).
That used to be true but am afraid Sony has surpassed Pentax in the "best bang for your buck" department for a system with good zoom lenses. The availability of old quality Minolta AF zooms makes the Sony system more versatile and less expensive. The only real advantage is weather sealing but IMO that is offset by the better AF of the Sony. The A 700 is over a year old and Sony is still releasing firmware updates that correct problems and improves performance by a significant amount. Contrast that with Pentax's attitude toward the VNP problem with the K10D.

Regards,
Ken

09-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
aren't there plenty of these threads already?
09-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not only are people going ga-ga over the D700, now they're going ga-ga over the D90.

Earlier today, I was in the one remaining mom & pop camera store in my area looking at tripods and other things when a couple walked into the store--the guy wanted to know if his older Nikon lenses (I think he said he used them on his F1) would work on a Nikon DSLR. The guy that runs the place went on to explain to them why his older lenses would most likely not work on a Nikon DSLR. One thing that I've noticed since I've started going to this camera shop is that the only brand of DSLR and lenses that this guy sells is Canon. Of course since Canon is what this guy sells, he explained to this couple why they should consider switching to Canon. One thing that he said that really stuck with me was that the reason he doesn't sell Nikon is that their customer service to him as a dealer was pretty crummy, while Canon has taken really good care of him, as a dealer.

My dad, who has a Canon XSi, can also back that up. Shortly after he got his XSi, he discovered an issue with it and had to send it to Canon Service for a warranty repair. Since he was leaving for a trip in a couple of weeks, he was in a bit of a time crunch, but Canon was able to come through and get his camera back to him just in time for him to take it on his trip.

Based on that, if I was going to switch to one of the big 2, it would most definitely be Canon.

With that being said, I definitely have no plans to leave Pentax, as it works perfectly fine for me. My lens kit is almost the way I want it to be--yet another good reason.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

Heather

PS--By the time I walked out of that camera store, I had placed an order for a new Bogen Manfrotto 190XB tripod to replace the clunky Bogen 3001 that I currently have.
09-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just hope you like all of the heavy handed NR you get with that Sony.

09-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

Had to do a product shoot last week. Client wanted both digital and film. We used 2 photographers. Me and a friend of mine. Both professionals. I shot with my K10D. He shoots Nikon. Film I decided to split between K1000 and a Mamiya ZE-2. Final result? Output from digital looked the same. Both were superb. Just that he spent more for his equipment.
Presented all output to the client. Didn't say which was which. Client chose all the film stuff. Said it just had "something" that wasn't in the digital output. Go figure.
You really can't go too far wrong no matter which of the 3 you choose to buy. I like my Pentax equipment and so does my buddy now.
09-14-2008, 01:57 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I had a k100D for two years, spent two years researching all options. Ended up buying K20D. I have my reasons, and money is not the only constraint or reason.
So, nice stirring indeed, I thought so when I saw the topic title haha.
Either way, every second bumwipe is a complainer and "fantasy" user waiting for his knight on a white horse.

I use what I choose, And I love my stuff.
Screw all these moaners, they are just here for entertainment, and probably the same people who sue airlines if they smell fart near the lavvies.
09-14-2008, 04:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Just hope you like all of the heavy handed NR you get with that Sony.
The latest firmware update has corrected that with a NR off option. As I said Sony is still giving the users options.
09-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
That used to be true but am afraid Sony has surpassed Pentax in the "best bang for your buck" department for a system with good zoom lenses. The availability of old quality Minolta AF zooms makes the Sony system more versatile and less expensive. The only real advantage is weather sealing but IMO that is offset by the better AF of the Sony. The A 700 is over a year old and Sony is still releasing firmware updates that correct problems and improves performance by a significant amount. Contrast that with Pentax's attitude toward the VNP problem with the K10D.

Regards,
Ken
It's a mixed bag when it comes to old lenses. I am quite amazed at some of the prices of Minolta AF zooms, but on the other hand, K-mount primes can also be had for cheap.

It really depends on your shooting style and preference, but I can make a case for both systems regarding "bang for the buck" with old lenses.

With regards to support, well, it's also a mixed bag.

I recall that Pentax still issued firmware updates to some of the *ist DSLRs long after the last unit rolled off the production line (a couple of years, even, if I recall correctly).

On the other hand, yeah, Sony did release firmware updates to their Alpha range, with the last update for the A100 being released near the end of the A100 lifecycle. Also, from a post as recent as a month ago (if I recall correctly), Sony's still servicing old 5Ds and 7Ds. And it even for free (!) if the problem's related to the AS system.

If I had extra money (which I don't), I might look into the Sony system and check out some of those cheap zooms myself. But as it is, I'm more curious as to how the mFT system pans out, as well as Samsung's competing offerings.
09-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
aren't there plenty of these threads already?
Yes, way to many.

Dave
09-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Can we get back to posting nice images from our Pentax equipment?
09-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
OK, byeeeeee.

Ps please post in the classified section want you want for your kit.
09-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
Not!

I have thought about it, but examine my signature. There is much more for me to think about than fast focus - since I have some nice lenses, but most of the other stuff I have can be used with any brand camera (tripods, monopods, lighting, etc).

Here is my thought: full frame, fast autofocus! Wow! $3K Ouch! - just for the body.

Well there is more to it. How about the positives of the Pentax system? Weather proofing body and lenses? In-body stabilization? Already have a kit that is pretty darn good? 14.6 MP? Hmmm.... A lot to give up for faster focus....

I am sure that many people are looking and thinking about it. I just thought that I would say it.

yes indeed --- just look at the 16-50 DA* ( forget the problems for one moment )and the DA* 50-135 and their prices. Now go look at Canon and Nikon lens prices for their VR and IS equivalents ---- you be the judge

Kman