Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #1

Lens adaptors for Pentax K3

What adapter do I need to get to be able to use the older screw mount M42 type lenses and where might I find one? Also what other type adapters might be available? Thanks in advance for you time and input here!

07-04-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use two different ones. The genuine Pentax adapter is by far the best, but also the most expensive. I also have several Fotodiox brand adapters which I have found to be very well made and I’ve never had issues with.

Either should be available at large retailers such as B&H or Adorama, even Freestyle. Or you can find them on eBay. Be wary of real cheap ones, they can get stuck to your camera or the threads can be out of alignment.
07-04-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
Forum Member

I did a google search. You will find a large selection. I found this one on Amazon. amazon.com : K&F Concept Lens Mount Adapter for M42 (42mm Screw Mount) Lens to Pentax K Mount bodies K-7, K-x, K-r, K-5, K-01, K-30, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-500, K-50, K-3, K-S1 DSLR Camera Body : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Based on my recent experience with an Autobellows camera adapter I would suggest you also purchase a filter wrench kit to assist with installation and removal.
07-04-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Get a genuine Pentax adapter.
Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Adapter) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Be aware that cheaper third party adapters can cause some serious problems, like the lens being stuck on the camera.

07-04-2018, 05:36 AM   #5

You can find the genuine Pentax adapter for under $30 USD on eBay. Prices have flipped. When $30 new (but very limited supplies) from Pentax or retailers like B&H the used ones were going for around $50 USD on eBay. It just takes a little patience and being there at the right time
07-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is another type of adapter, a flanged one that unfortunately will lose infinity focus as it acts like an extension tube (albeit not very much distance lost) that I use when I am using a long and or heavy lens as it feels secure on the camera. A bonus with this one is that if you use very narrow sized lens (the mount end) it helps to stop light leaks.

Last edited by Skodadriver; 01-20-2019 at 04:55 AM.
07-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pixco do a good one that is not too expensive. You can also get an adapter with an inner flange. If your m42 lens has an aperture pin you will need one of these so the lens shuts down. Be careful though, these flanged adapters sometimes don't play well with Takumars that have the Auto/manual switch. As for the flanged adapter skodadriver shared, they are great and really cheap but your max focus distance drops alarmingly.

07-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum

I would recommend to buy it original or check the reviews if it's a cheaper one, as other users said, better safe than sorry! hehe

Good luck
07-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a genuine Pentax and a Hama adapter. The Pentax one was bought new back in the eighties. The Hama was bought used last year in NOS condition. There is little to choose between them. The Pentax is perhaps slightly easier to unmount from the camera body.
07-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've got two Pentax original adaptors, one bought second-hand "way back" for very little, when screw-mount lenses were very under-rated, and a second as a gift in a box of "scrap" photographic gear ... "You might find something useful in here". Both of these can be easily mounted and dismounted from my camera(s) without special tools, a fingernail being all that's necessary to release the locking spring.

Of the several other similar design "aftermarket" products I own, not one of them will release easily without the "special" tool and one of them jammed so solidly I had to remove the complete lens mount from the camera (complete with the associated handful of tiny springs, plungers etc. that make up the electrical contacts) before I could release the locking spring to dismount it! None of these aftermarket adaptors now retain their locking springs, the adaptors are used as semi-permanent "conversion kits", being fitted firmly to some favourite lenses ... yes I'm careful that the lens doesn't detach from the camera when focussing!

If you don't want/need infinity focus, the flanged-type adaptors have a lot to commend them. They can be fitted firmly to the lens but they also lock onto the camera body like a "proper" K-mount lens, so can be interchanged fairly promptly ... and they're usually quite cheap!

Do bear in mind that with most M42-PK adaptors there's no provision for activating the auto-aperture pin, so if your lens doesn't have an Auto-Manual switch it'll either need modification or only used wide open.

Good luck
08-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
pxt

Is genui Pentax adapter stack with lens? I heard about situation when people mount M42 lens and they can't get off.

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 09:27 AM ----------

How often lens adaptor is stuck? I hear that people sometimes mount M42 lens and they can't get off.