Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #1

K200D Display Histogram

I'm not even certain what question I need to ask. I was outdoors with the camera around my neck, in an open vehicle, driving on rough roads. I would take pictures, then set the camera in my lap. One time, I forgot to turn the camera off after I took pictures, and then we hit a bump and it slipped.

Apparently, a button was pushed and some setting changed. Now, when I push the arrow button on the bottom left corner to display photos on the screen, there is a histogram with "RGB" next to it. There is a vertical yellow line on the left side of the histogram box and there is a vertical red line on the right side. In the 'box' there is white, looking like a graph. Is there a setting that was changed that I need to reset? I can't find it.

I have an identical Pentax camera and tried to match all the menu settings. I tried the Fn button, but don't know what I need to change to get rid of that display. The photos, for what it's worth, aren't affected, only the viewer screen is. Thanks for any help!

07-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try pressing "info" in review mode
07-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reset the camera to factory settings. Then match settings with your other camera.
07-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kseld Quote
Is there a setting that was changed that I need to reset? I can't find it.
Hi kseld,

If you want to set the basic functions, read the manual in English on Page 220 or, follow these steps:

Resetting Rec. Mode/Playback/Set-up Menu

Settings in [A Rec. Mode] menu, [Q Playback] menu and [R Set-up]
menu can be reset to default settings.

However, Date Adjust, Language/ , Video Out, Text Size, and the
World Time city settings are not reset.

1 Select [Reset] in the [R Set-up] menu.

2 Press the four-way controller (5).

The [Reset] screen appears.

3 Use the four-way controller

(23) to select [Reset].

4 Press the 4 button.

The settings are reset and the camera is ready to take or play back
images.

Kind regards.

07-04-2018, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Reset the camera to factory settings. Then match settings with your other camera.
No

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi kseld,

If you want to set the basic functions, read the manual in English on Page 220 or, follow these steps:

Resetting Rec. Mode/Playback/Set-up Menu

Settings in [A Rec. Mode] menu, [Q Playback] menu and [R Set-up]
menu can be reset to default settings.

However, Date Adjust, Language/ , Video Out, Text Size, and the
World Time city settings are not reset.

1 Select [Reset] in the [R Set-up] menu.

2 Press the four-way controller (5).

The [Reset] screen appears.

3 Use the four-way controller

(23) to select [Reset].

4 Press the 4 button.

The settings are reset and the camera is ready to take or play back
images.

Kind regards.
No again...There is no need to reset the camera. This is a simple setting change common to everyday operation.

QuoteOriginally posted by MrMojo Quote
Try pressing "info" in review mode
This ^ ^ ^

I don't have a K200D in hand, but the instructions to move between the RGB histogram and brightness histogram are on page 26 of the user guide (use up and down arrows toggle between). Turning the histogram on/off is done through the info button (manual p170).

Steve
07-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No again...There is no need to reset the camera. This is a simple setting change common to everyday operation.
This happens because you don't read the instructions carefully and you're not familiar with the reflex, but no one prevents you from resetting everything and resetting the basic options,
maybe this helps you think rather than panicking.

Ciao M.
07-04-2018, 11:18 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
This happens because you don't read the instructions carefully and you're not familiar with the reflex, but no one prevents you from resetting everything and resetting the basic options,
maybe this helps you think rather than panicking.

Ciao M.
I dunno...I sometimes end up with RGB histogram display during preview on my K-3 when none is desired. It happens just rarely enough that I almost always have to refer back to the manual to remind me of how it got there and how to get rid of it. I know how to do a full reset but that would be counter-productive given the number of settings I have made to suit how I use the camera. In fact, doing so would be sort of dumb of me.

I don't want to sound harsh, but suggesting a full camera reset as an initial step in troubleshooting is sort of cruel. Strangely, there is a recent pattern on this site of the seeing the "do a reset" suggestion as first or second suggestions even in the absence of a clear description of symptoms. This is the only time I have called those suggestions out, mostly because the solution was so very simple and hope I have not offended.

Steve

07-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ok, thanks! Pressing 'info' helped but left residual blinking color sections on display. Reset worked; I can go through my menu settings on the other camera and match them up. Thanks, everyone. It was so simple, too bad no one with me when it developed knew what to do to fix it. I can't imagine which button was hit when the camera slipped. Any ideas on that?
07-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #9
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't want to sound harsh, but suggesting a full camera reset as an initial step in troubleshooting is sort of cruel. Strangely, there is a recent pattern on this site of the seeing the "do a reset" suggestion as first or second suggestions even in the absence of a clear description of symptoms. This is the only time I have called those suggestions out, mostly because the solution was so very simple and hope I have not offended.
Absolutely no, Steve,

My "rebuke" was not directed to you, but (also because of the difficulty of interpreting the language correctly) in general, the Info key you know switches the various displays on the display
even if from model to model there are differences. I can say, that the Pentax menu is one of the most intuitive,
I have the Canon 6D is a nice reflex, but with the menu there has never been feeling, even today after 4 years. If there is an opportunity I can explain why I bought it.

Tanti saluti, Mario
07-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ok, thanks! Pressing 'info' helped but left residual blinking color sections on display.
The "blinkies" are also managed through a user setting and can be turned off. They show portions of the frame where highlights or shadows are clipped. Blinkies are helpful in that they help guide the user to apply some exposure compensation. Many users like them. Do you have a copy of the user manual? The K200D has not been made for a number of years and user expertise on this site is getting a little thin with time. The manual, however, is available for download free from Ricoh/Pentax-Japan and worth getting if you don't already have a copy.

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING (click to open the section under "Discontinued Model" to show the links for your camera.)

Steve
07-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #11

Original Poster
I do have the manual and I enjoy research, it's just that I don't know which topic this falls under.
07-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #12
maw
Pentaxian

In the Pentax K200 and K20D there was one feature that I think was very useful and then disappeared, namely 'Comparing Images'.
You had the opportunity to compare two sequential shots and eliminate the worst, with the advent of subsequent models this mode disappeared,
certainly from the K30 and later models.
07-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I must confess that I had my K10D for quite a while before I figured out what the green button was for. Manuals? Who reads them?
07-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I must confess that I had my K10D for quite a while before I figured out what the green button was for. Manuals? Who reads them?
That is truly tragic. The green button is to a Pentax dSLR as a sonic screwdriver is to "The Doctor".

Steve
07-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I do have the manual and I enjoy research, it's just that I don't know which topic this falls under.
The blinkies setting is on p172 (called "Bright/Dark area").

I will let you in on a small secret on how I find stuff fast in the manual. The index (found in the Appendix section) of most Pentax dSLR manuals has a section above the alphabetical listings with links to each of the menu settings summary tables and similar stuff. The index itself is also very helpful if you know the names of a few things.

In the case of the blinkies, I knew they were options for the "Playback" feature, so I looked under playback in the index. Sure enough there is a line for Playback display with a linked page number to page 172. (Not really sure what the PDF feature is called except that clicking on the page number takes me there.) Page 172 has menu settings for the Playback display and text describing the Bright/Dark area warning feature.

I could have gotten to the same information (perhaps faster) from the "Symbols" list on the first page of the index where it has links to pages for the Playback button and Playback menu. With a little practice and increased familiarity with the camera, most stuff may be found fairly quickly.

Steve