Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

K20D AF.C Accuracy

Hello there!

I've been running a few non-scientific tests on whether AF.S is more or less accurate than AF.C (or the same). I can't get really consistent results, so I ask you.

Is AF.S more, less or just as accurate as AF.C focusing mode on K20D?

Thanks in advance,

- Matej

09-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

they are designed for different uses, why are you comparing them?
09-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
they are designed for different uses, why are you comparing them?
Because I'm trying to use only AF.C + AF button for focusing, so I don't need to change focusing modes depending on the situation. (If I want "AF.S" I just let go of the AF button when I want to recompose)
09-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
Hello there!

I've been running a few non-scientific tests on whether AF.S is more or less accurate than AF.C (or the same). I can't get really consistent results, so I ask you.

Thanks in advance,

- Matej
Matej,

In my experience AF-C is one of the low points of the K20D especially in dificult conditions (low light) and I prefer to use small bursts and refocus in AF-S mode.

Just MHO,
Radu

09-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
Hello there!

Thanks in advance,

- Matej
I am not sure whether or not you are using multiple focus points or not. I find the focusing speed and accuracy are better using only the centre point - at least I know where it is trying to focus. It does mean that unless you use the back button, recompose technique you mention, your subject will always be centred.
09-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've also been using AF-C+AF to focus, and so far I haven't seen any difference in focus accuracy. I think the only difference between AF-C and AF-S is that in the latter, the shutter cannot be pressed until the focus is locked. In the former, the shutter can activated without focus lock, and the focus is continuously changed as long as the scene is also changing.

I just hold AF until it locks and then let go, and hit the shutter button. For continuous focusing, I hold the AF button down and press the shutter whenever I want.
09-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I've also been using AF-C+AF to focus, and so far I haven't seen any difference in focus accuracy. I think the only difference between AF-C and AF-S is that in the latter, the shutter cannot be pressed until the focus is locked. In the former, the shutter can activated without focus lock, and the focus is continuously changed as long as the scene is also changing.

I just hold AF until it locks and then let go, and hit the shutter button. For continuous focusing, I hold the AF button down and press the shutter whenever I want.
I agree that there is no difference between AF.S and AF.C, but there is a difference between using a fixed focus point and the setting that allows the camera to select the focus point. There is a discrete time interval while it attempts to figure out what to put into focus. If you tell it ahead of time, it will have less indecision. That is what I was trying to say.