Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Question regarding full manual mode.

I've been playing around with my 50mm lens. It's a full manual lens. I was using it today, and was using the flash with it as well. One issue I ran into was.... When I pop the flash (built in flash) on my *ist D, the camera doesn't seem to adjust the exposure time, so flash goes off, but still long shutter time, and therefore blurry shots. Is this just something I have to live with in full manual mode with this lens, or have I just missed something simple?

09-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If I recall correctly, the camera will not operate the flash in P-TTL mode with a manual lens since it cannot communicate with the lens. Therefore, you'll have to adjust the aperture and/or exposure manually.
09-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I've been playing around with my 50mm lens. It's a full manual lens. I was using it today, and was using the flash with it as well. One issue I ran into was.... When I pop the flash (built in flash) on my *ist D, the camera doesn't seem to adjust the exposure time, so flash goes off, but still long shutter time, and therefore blurry shots. Is this just something I have to live with in full manual mode with this lens, or have I just missed something simple?
On fully manual lens, the camera never adjusts anything - it's all up to you, using M mode. If you chose too slow a shutter speed, that's up to *you* to change, not the camera.

But actually, shutter speed is largely irrelevant for most flash shots - the flash is *much* shorter than the shutter. So I don't see how you could have gotten blur from too slow a shutter, unless you had it set so slow that ambient light was able to ight up the scene. The solution is simple - turn up the shutter speed. You're in "M" , just turn the dial.

But the other problem with flash on manual lenses is as mentioned above - the camera will always fire the flash full power with manual lenses. Meaning the exposure is completely dependent on the distance to subject and the aperture & ISO. Do a search on the phrase "guide number" to learn how to set an appropriate aperture & ISO for the subject distance. If the shot you got wasn't horribly overexposed or underexposed, you basically just got lucky and happened to be at a reasonable aperture & ISO for the subject distance.
09-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera cannot tell the flash what to do, nor can the flash determine what the camera is thinking when a lens not capable of "A" auto aperture is used. The solution is to use the guide number of the flash (11? 13?) and set the camera to X synchronization, which sets the maximum shutter speed at which the shutter curtains are both clear of the sensor. Then the flash well be providing most of the light.

09-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

The *istD has TTL flash metering and therefore works perfectly well with manual lenses. Marc above is thus wrong when writing that the flash will always fire at full strength. It will not - it will only emit the necessary amount of light.

What shutterspeed you get depends on the exposure mode you're in. If *you* want to decide the shutterspeed, use M (manual exposure) mode and set the shutter to e.g. 1/125. In other modes you may get a slow speed as the camera tries to also get the background exposed correctly based on available light.

Last edited by Ole; 09-14-2008 at 10:22 PM.
09-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The *istD has TTL flash metering and therefore works perfectly well with manual lenses. Marc above is thus wrong when writing that the flash will always fire at full strength.
Thanks for the correction. The DS also supports TTL, but only for *external* flashes, and I didn't realize the D was different in this way.
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
It really depends on how you approach flash photography.

I generally (for flash) set my camera to 1/150, and let flash do all the work. This insures that the camera does not set (with green button metering) a long shutter to copensate for low light.
09-16-2008, 04:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone input.

I tried your suggestion last night (I actually selected 1/125 by mistake), but it did seem to work. Thanks for the tip.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It really depends on how you approach flash photography.

I generally (for flash) set my camera to 1/150, and let flash do all the work. This insures that the camera does not set (with green button metering) a long shutter to copensate for low light.