Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Even when shooting events, with my work flow coming from film to the K10D onward, I don't use the second card slot. I thought it would be nice, but with 16 and 32 gb cards, I've only filled them twice and started on the second card. I shoot straight Raw images. I have no need to jpg until after I do my editing.
You never went in for the redundancy? You can write to both cards not just serially but simultaneously. Thus you get an in camera backup in case an SD card should fail.

07-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You never went in for the redundancy? You can write to both cards not just serially but simultaneously. Thus you get an in camera backup in case an SD card should fail.
Honestly, knock on wood, I’ve never had a failure on the job. Well... I have with film, but never an sd card. I’ve always checked and double checked before a shoot. I also have at least 3 bodies, and a second shooter for weddings and such.

I do have sd cards that have gone bad, but I caught them when I was checking everything beforehand.
07-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-70 would be very different from the K-3, but it has its own virtues, and at a bargain price, including better low light/high ISO performance. It offers also an articulating screen for shooting from angles otherwise very inconvenient, even having a hand-held selfie button.

The KP, on the other hand, was designed in part, to appeal to K-1 owners who want a 2nd lighter APS-C body, which can deliver image quality very close to the K-1 even though being APS-C, and also having a very high build quality and control set. Its weight is about 1/4 lb. less than a K-3. Its optional battery grip allows for a beefier body when desired, better for prolonged vertical shooting, and longer battery life. It is again different than the K-3, but closer than is the K-70, and more in line with the K-1 as to controls.

The popup flash is not as powerful as those of the K-3 or the K-70, but for macro that doesn't seem like it would be a problem. Incidentally, Pentax does make a pretty nifty, very small compact hot shoe flash with WR construction, which has a tilt head for bounce, and a tilt-down setting for closer work. It only costs around $150 and could serve your K-1 well also.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-11-2018 at 05:04 PM.
07-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The K-70 would be very different from the K-3, but it has its own virtues, and at a bargain price, including better low light/high ISO performance. It offers also an articulating screen for shooting from angles otherwise very inconvenient, even having a hand-held selfie button.

The KP, on the other hand, was designed in part, to appeal to K-1 owners who want a 2nd lighter APS-C body, which can deliver image quality very close to the K-1 even though being APS-C, and also having a very high build quality and control set. Its weight is about 1/4 lb. less than a K-3. Its optional battery grip allows for a beefier body when desired, better for prolonged vertical shooting, and longer battery life. It is again different than the K-3, but closer than is the K-70, and more in line with the K-1 as to controls.

The popup flash is not as powerful as those of the K-3 or the K-70, but for macro that doesn't seem like it would be a problem. Incidentally, Pentax does make a pretty nifty, very small compact hot shoe flash with WR construction, which has a tilt head for bounce, and a tilt-down setting for closer work. It only costs around $150 and could serve your K-1 well also.
Interesting. Will look into the flash.

07-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
My beloved K3 was seriously damaged in a fall off a tripod with a large lens in what turned out to be a hookie wimberly head. The price quoted for a repair was over $600. At that price point, it's time for a replacement.

I shoot mostly nature and generally really love the K3. I have been impressed by the consistency of the high quality of my images with the K3. I use the popup flash with a diffuser to get very nice macro images (hence I haven't considered the K3 II). I generally shoot aperture priority, stop down the lens to see what is in focus. The K70 advantages seem to be WiFi, a bit less in weight, and that it would be a new rather than used camera. I do have a K1, but for photographing birds (and a bit less weight) I like the crop factor.

So, do you feel the K70 is a good successor to the K3 in terms of build, image quality, and overall use for nature photography or am I better off searching for a low-count K3?

Thanks!
There are good reviews for the Pentax K3 and the Pentax K3 mark 2. McBain in Edmonton Canada have $300 off the price of a K3 Mark 2 at present. I was tempted to buy one at that price. My present camera is the K5.
Regards

David
08-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #36
pxt

Maybe think about KP as another choice to consider?