Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Replacement for damaged K3, a used K3 or K-70?

My beloved K3 was seriously damaged in a fall off a tripod with a large lens in what turned out to be a hookie wimberly head. The price quoted for a repair was over $600. At that price point, it's time for a replacement.

I shoot mostly nature and generally really love the K3. I have been impressed by the consistency of the high quality of my images with the K3. I use the popup flash with a diffuser to get very nice macro images (hence I haven't considered the K3 II). I generally shoot aperture priority, stop down the lens to see what is in focus. The K70 advantages seem to be WiFi, a bit less in weight, and that it would be a new rather than used camera. I do have a K1, but for photographing birds (and a bit less weight) I like the crop factor.

So, do you feel the K70 is a good successor to the K3 in terms of build, image quality, and overall use for nature photography or am I better off searching for a low-count K3?

Thanks!

07-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K70 also has a flippy screen, and slightly better high ISO. Downsides are smaller battery (and different to what you already have), less effective dust management, noisier shutter and plastic build.

Both good choices.
07-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

for me, a K-70 is not a successor to a K-3... you lose the top LCD, higher capacity battery, build quality...
07-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you have a K1... I have both cameras also, if my K-3 had a sudden accident, I would replace it with the KP. It may be a completely different camera, and not something I would be use to, but I think it would be the best in regards to upgrade path and as a second to the K1.

07-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
So, do you feel the K70 is a good successor to the K3 in terms of build, image quality, and overall use for nature photography or am I better off searching for a low-count K3?
The K-70 is huge value and has a few points of allure, but I would want a few minutes "hands-on" before considering it to replace a K-3. At current price points, I could sooner have a K-3II with a small flash. My reasoning is based on build, low light capabilities, metering, dedicated DOF preview,and battery...Oh, and support for an uncomplicated wired remote. (Probably other stuff too.)

As a backup body, however...If I saw a killer deal on a K-70, I might spring. If however, my K-3 were to fall off the table behind me (tragic camera strap event or similar), first choice would be a K-3II and pick up a Mecablitz 26 AF-2 or AF201FG as the travel-friendly alternative to the onboard flash.

Steve
07-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(Probably other stuff too.)
Oh, yeah...top LCD...

Steve
07-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

....and dual card slots.

Definitely a tough choice at the moment. The K-70 and KP both bring some nice updates not present in the K-3 but neither is truly
its successor. If my K-3 needed to be replaced I think I would be tempted by the KP while awaiting for the K-3 successor, but I would
have to make a run through the comparison first to be sure another K-3 wouldn't still satisfy most.

Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

07-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Y'all. You are giving me a lot to think about.
07-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While it won't help with flash based macro shots - if you have any continuous light macro you can do then Pixel Shift might be another factor to consider. Not available in the K-3 but you get it in the K-70, K-3ii, and the KP.

Personally I'd likely buy a used K-3 for now and hope for the someday to come K-3 replacement.
07-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-3 II Silver edition is on sale at Adorama for $739, in case you are interested.

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera Body Silver
07-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3-ii has GPS. Important to some of us.
07-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The thing I really hate about cameras is there are so many trade offs. The K-70 and KP give you higher iso capability which can enable higher shutter speeds for wildlife. Also articulating screens which can be very helpful. But you give up build quality and handling. I purchased a KS-2 for my niece which is practically the same size as the K-70 and I found it small for my hands. I’ve also heard similar things about the handling of the KP. Some people love it and others hate it. But as many people here have pointed out the K-3 just feels right in my hands. It also has the capability for optional battery grip which I love. Then there are the 2 memory cards, top lcd, larger battery....

What I really would like to have is a K-3 II with an articulating screen, higher iso performance and better autofocus. But everything is a trade off regardless of what system you shoot.
07-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
The thing I really hate about cameras is there are so many trade offs. The K-70 and KP give you higher iso capability which can enable higher shutter speeds for wildlife. Also articulating screens which can be very helpful. But you give up build quality and handling. I purchased a KS-2 for my niece which is practically the same size as the K-70 and I found it small for my hands. I’ve also heard similar things about the handling of the KP. Some people love it and others hate it. But as many people here have pointed out the K-3 just feels right in my hands. It also has the capability for optional battery grip which I love. Then there are the 2 memory cards, top lcd, larger battery....

What I really would like to have is a K-3 II with an articulating screen, higher iso performance and better autofocus. But everything is a trade off regardless of what system you shoot.
While I don’t have the KP yet, it has an optional battery grip, unlike the K70. I’ve heard many say the grip with the KP makes the ergonomics much easier to get accustomed to (previous K3 owners). It is something to consider.
07-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The K-3 II Silver edition is on sale at Adorama for $739, in case you are interested.

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera Body Silver
I don't know if one can still get this, but there was an additional $25 off code over at imaging resource a while back.

$25 off $250+ for IR readers, no strings, no expiration!

^ That's the link. It would be $714.

The only area where the K-70 trumps the K-3II is the image quality. The flippy screen can also come in handy at times, but for everything else, the K-3II performs better.
07-10-2018, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

The thing I really hate about cameras is there are so many trade offs.
This is the downside of any quickly evolving tech. You plunk down a lot of money to get the latest features only to have them
superseded by the next generation of products just a few months later. Fortunately digital photography is finally becoming
mature and 'old' cameras are no longer obsolete 12 months after purchase. Most of the improvements at this point are
refinements or bells & whistles.

Of course, there has always been a certain degree of choice that must be made; Format, Brand, Model, Features, Accessories.
I doubt there will ever be an uber-camera that does it all for the simple fact that no two photographers will ever agree on what
makes that uber-camera.

What I really would like to have is a K-3 II with an articulating screen, higher iso performance and better autofocus.
What you are describing will likely be the K-3 II successor.