Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is KP a worthy “upgrade” from K3?

Hello
I been a Pentaxian for over 40 years, and now shooting with the K-3, with Pentax and Sigma lenses. I also got the K-30 and K200D as backup.

In the last week, I’ve been suffering from GAS.... I’ve been looking at the KP, since full frame is not an option for me. I do mostly street and portraits, so K-1 is overkill and to big/heavy. God forbid...I have also been looking at Fujifilm X-T20/X-E3, Panasonic, Olympus and Sony, witch are nice cameras, but it just don’t feel right. And then I got all my lenses with K mount lenses...

One of the reasons why I would upgrade, is the articulated screen. My body, and eyes are not what they used to be, so getting down to take pictures from a low angle is quite hard.

So to my question, is KP a worthy upgrade from my K-3? I am familiar with the batteri life (got batteries to my K-30, which are the same), card slots and the lack of IR, but I can live with that.

Thankful for advices:-)

07-10-2018, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pande Quote
Hello
I been a Pentaxian for over 40 years, and now shooting with the K-3, with Pentax and Sigma lenses. I also got the K-30 and K200D as backup.

In the last week, I’ve been suffering from GAS.... I’ve been looking at the KP, since full frame is not an option for me. I do mostly street and portraits, so K-1 is overkill and to big/heavy. God forbid...I have also been looking at Fujifilm X-T20/X-E3, Panasonic, Olympus and Sony, witch are nice cameras, but it just don’t feel right. And then I got all my lenses with K mount lenses...

One of the reasons why I would upgrade, is the articulated screen. My body, and eyes are not what they used to be, so getting down to take pictures from a low angle is quite hard.

So to my question, is KP a worthy upgrade from my K-3? I am familiar with the batteri life (got batteries to my K-30, which are the same), card slots and the lack of IR, but I can live with that.

Thankful for advices:-)
In terms of image quality and the user interface, it's a clear upgrade. In terms of ergonomics/handling I'd say the K-3 is still better, though having the grip on the KP balances things a bit better and also helps with the battery life.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Like already stated, the KP does have some pluses, but you'll probably get some more GAS when the K-3II replacement comes out. That might happen sometime next year, but there's no official date for that yet. The only thing we know for sure is that Ricoh is currently working on it.
07-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Like already stated, the KP does have some pluses, but you'll probably get some more GAS when the K-3II replacement comes out. That might happen sometime next year, but there's no official date for that yet. The only thing we know for sure is that Ricoh is currently working on it.
Good point:-)

---------- Post added 07-10-18 at 22:21 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In terms of image quality and the user interface, it's a clear upgrade. In terms of ergonomics/handling I'd say the K-3 is still better, though having the grip on the KP balances things a bit better and also helps with the battery life.
Thank’s for your thougts, Adam.
When I read the in depths review, the K-3 gets a 8.8 score, and the KP get 8.1. But that have probably something to do with the time of the reviews, or...

07-10-2018, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Good point:-)

---------- Post added 07-10-18 at 22:21 ----------

Thank’s for your thougts, Adam.
When I read the in depths review, the K-3 gets a 8.8 score, and the KP get 8.1. But that have probably something to do with the time of the reviews, or...
The K-P is an awesome camera as far as I can tell (I don't own one.) . And the IQ is marginally better than a K-3. If I was buying a camera today that's what I'd go for.
K-p
Tilt screen, amazing for low level and macro.
Accelerator chip, according to Pentax same noise levels on high ISO as K-1.
The weight is great.
Better IQ
27 focus points, (same as K-3 better than K-70).

Why I still have a K-3 and am waiting for the upgraded K-3 series.
23 shot raw buffer instead of 8
The K-P should fill it's buffer in just over a second. The K-3 will go for almost 3 seconds.
Slightly faster FPS< but I'm hoping for 10 fps on the next K-3 series camera.
Longer shutter life.

Since I don't have to buy a camera right now, I'm sticking with my K-3. If the new K-3 series camera has what I want, I'll want to buy it whether I buy a K-P or not, so long term it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I want a bigger buffer, faster frame rate, the accelerator chip, and the tilting back screen, which I have found very useful on my K-1.
So for me the K-P is a 50% solution. However if you're coming from a K-5 (or K-30) it's a huge upgrade. I make extensive use of 8 fps and the bigger buffer. If you don't do that, then the K-P is what you need right now, and you probably won't change your mind and want the next K-3 series camera comes out.

I'd like to buy my wife a K-P, but she's happy with her K-5.

I really just want to buy her a silver K-P so I don't pick up her camera thinking it's one of mine. I hate that.

By the way I have you beat, I bought my first Pentax in 67, that's 51 years.

Last edited by normhead; 07-10-2018 at 01:58 PM.
07-10-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

If you could possibly wait for the K-3 II successor, that might be the best idea. Being a K-3 II owner and knowing its capabilities and its features, I am thoroughly satisfied with what it does. Per your wants for an adjustable rear view screen, that would not be something the K-3 II does not have though. I myself do not want to go without the top lcd screen that displays settings such as on my K-3 II, so another type body without it would not be something I would want. I find it to be a valuable tool.

Good luck with your decision.
07-10-2018, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thank’s for your thougts, Adam.When I read the in depths review, the K-3 gets a 8.8 score, and the KP get 8.1. But that have probably something to do with the time of the reviews, or...
I think the main thing that weighed down the KP at the time was its cost compared to the K-70, which was close to half the price and delivers the same great image quality with arguably better ergonomics. So, you are paying a premium for better durability, which is worth it for many people, but not all.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2018, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used both quite a lot, and I would echo Adam's observations.

The KP is obviously smaller and the tilting screen can be very handy for candid shots (among other things) if street photography is your thing. Image quality is certainly better, especially at higher ISO. It pairs perfectly with the Limited primes. Buffer depth, ergonomics and battery life are not as good as the K-3, but the battery grip goes some way to fixing the latter two of those deficiencies.
07-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

I have both the K3 and the K-P. I can tell you that I like both of them, but they are different breeds. In my case I keep using the KP almost all the time. Notice I say almost because the K3 has its own advantages. So the type of photography you enjoy should be the most important consideration here. I recommend that you try a KP from a friend or rented.
07-10-2018, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have you beat, I bought my first Pentax in 67, that's 51 years.
2018 - 1867 = 151 years...

Oh, my bad, Norm - you meant 1967, right?
07-10-2018, 04:34 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
2018 - 1867 = 151 years...

Oh, my bad, Norm - you meant 1967, right?
People are so picky these days, 51, 151? Does anybody really care?

Next time I'll just say "pretty frickin old/"
07-10-2018, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
51, 151? Does anybody really care?
only if it's rum
07-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
I have a K3, K1 and a KP they all are great cameras. Image quality on the KP is great and it has the small foot print for when I do not want a large camera. The KP is certainly a camera worth having.
07-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

So to my question, is KP a worthy upgrade from my K-3?
I own a K1 and used to won K3 (2 of them). I have tried the KP a few times but do not own one. If I were to buy a backup for my K1, it would be the KP. It is lighter than K3 and the high ISO performance is even better than my K1. Ergonomically, I liked the KP over K3. It is more compact and lighter making it a natural for street photography. I shot some live concerts with my K3 and felt the ISOs above 800 were not that good. KP on the other hand can easily go into ISO 3200 or even higher and yield perfectly usable images.
07-11-2018, 12:57 AM   #15

I would also suggest the K-70. The image quality is very close to the KP, the grip is better, and it is a minimal investment so that if GAS strikes when the K3 replacement arrives you won't feel too guilty about upgrading.