Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 01:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

My K3ii is currently sitting in a camera shop window along with all the lenses I could do without.

I will retrieve it soon if it doesn't sell but, if it does, I would like to replace it with an APS-C camera that has one crucial thing my K1 has over the K3ii - great autofocus.

A camera with the burst rate of the K3ii and 24MP in the central area but with better AF than the K3ii would be awesome.

07-11-2018, 05:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
My K3ii is currently sitting in a camera shop window along with all the lenses I could do without.

I will retrieve it soon if it doesn't sell but, if it does, I would like to replace it with an APS-C camera that has one crucial thing my K1 has over the K3ii - great autofocus.

A camera with the burst rate of the K3ii and 24MP in the central area but with better AF than the K3ii would be awesome.
Would K-1 AF be good enough, or are you expecting even better than that?

We are seeing that both lenses and body contribute to AF. Did you use the K-1 lenses on the K-3ii?
07-11-2018, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

I'm not sure someone who hasn't used the 55-300 PLM on a K-3 even has the right to comment on Pentax AF. You just don't know what the AF system is capable of.
07-11-2018, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote

I guess we're all different in our AF requirements.

Both my K-3 and K-3II have been excellent for AF.S, and good for AF.C - with my keeper rate in the latter improving dramatically through appropriate settings, better technique and an understanding of my own limitations.

For AF.S, there's no reason why you shouldn't get very reliable results assuming your lenses were "AF fine adjusted". For AF.C, some thought is required - for instance, I tend to pick lenses that I know will focus quite quickly, I don't rely on just a single centre-point, and I typically stop down a little for extra depth of field. One of my favourite lenses is the DA*60-250, but I hesitate to use that if I'm going to use AF.C with fast moving subjects, as the lens (rather than the camera) simply can't keep up. Conversely, once it has achieved initial focus (which can be assisted by pre-setting the focus ring to the appropriate end of the scale - MFD for close subjects, infinity for distant), the screw-drive HD DA 55-300 is fast and reliable.

I don't doubt that you're disappointed with the K-3II's AF, nor that the K-1 is better in this respect, but if we photographers do our bit then AF performance is great with both (IMHO)

07-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the K-S2 for a few years, which is a lot like the K-70 in terms of grip and ergonomics, I like it a lot having bought it as my new smaller body alternative to my former favorite- the K-5 IIs, which is a lot like the K-3 in grip and ergonomics. Then I also added the KP, which is different than either of the other two. Now in terms of favorite, it is a tie with the K-5 IIs for different reasons, but I find I shoot more often with the KP. As to ergonomics, for me the KP, with its different grips depending on which lens, comes out ahead of the K-S2, which is still ok, but the KP is not quite as comfortably "secure" as the K-5 IIs. Yet with a more compact lens, for me the KP with its lighter weight and slimmer body handles even better than the K-5 IIs. Then there is handling in terms of the control set, which the KP is definitely better than the K-S2 or K-70, but not quite as fast and convenient as the K-5 IIs. I'd say the KP is a great choice for street shooting.

From my experience, I would say the KP would be your best choice, because you already have the K-3 for when you need beefier ergonomics, a deeper buffer, etc. for the things it offers, but when you need to go smaller, lighter, for trekking around, or perhaps will be needing higher ISO for low light use or higher shutter speeds, or perhaps for doing some down low macro shots, for all of which the KP will shine. It weighs very close to the same as the K-70, and about 1/4 lb. less than the K-3. So you'll have the best of both worlds in 2 premium-build camera bodies. And, as Sandy said, you can also beef up the KP with the battery grip, which also provides a huge increase of battery life and good positioning for extensive vertical shooting (portraits), which is not an option with the K-70, and at the same time you'll still be around the same weight as the K-3.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-11-2018 at 09:24 PM.
07-12-2018, 04:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-3II. I'd say I'd go for the KP. With all the image samples shown and the user feedback I'd go for it if I'm buying a camera today. The only draw back I see is its battery life but a grip with an extra battery will surely help. Plus, I like retro cameras and the KP is one handsome beast.
07-12-2018, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My GAS almost got the best of me when I learned about the Amazon lightning deal running for another hour or so - $699. Someone looking should grab this. On the other hand I have and am very happy with the K-3ii so it would be fun to try out but a foolish and wasteful effort for me. I hope some of our KP wall sitters will see this and grab one.

07-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #23

I had been considering the KP for over a year to replace my K3 and finally pulled the plug in May. Although I have not had the opportunity to do extensive shooting, I have been very pleased. I was concerned that the size might be too small for me, but as I have in the past, purchased the battery grip and that makes all the difference. The lack of the second memory card slot was never an issue as I only once used the second memory card in the K3 and that was by mistake besides the battery can store an extra memory card in it. One of the many reasons I got the KP was the increased ISO as from time to time I am called to shoot photos for a sports organization in a gym built in the 1930's with poor lighting. I kept waiting for the flagship APS-C, but that might be a while, so I went with the KP. So far, no complaints and the photo quality is very good.
07-14-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I replaced my K-3 with the K-3II about three years ago , but now have replaced my K-3II with the KP !
It was a really hard choice as I feel that I gave up several features such as Build, battery capacity , dedicated shutter release port , IR front and rear , and higher rated shutter life.
In exchange I got better looks , better SR , Semi-articulating screen , PS upgrade , and a tiny nudge in image quality.
I never really made friends with the K-3II for some reason , but bonded easily with the KP.
Got my second KP for $699 on the Amazon "Lightning" sale 2 days ago , and sold my beater K-S2's and K3II to a fellow Forum member yesterday.
I also await the new Flagship replacement , but now Im locked into NO new bodies for at least 2 full years.
So for what its worth , I went All-In on the KP and am satisfied for the first time in 5 years with my choice.

---------- Post added 07-14-18 at 07:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pande Quote
Hello
I been a Pentaxian for over 40 years, and now shooting with the K-3, with Pentax and Sigma lenses. I also got the K-30 and K200D as backup.

In the last week, I’ve been suffering from GAS.... I’ve been looking at the KP, since full frame is not an option for me. I do mostly street and portraits, so K-1 is overkill and to big/heavy. God forbid...I have also been looking at Fujifilm X-T20/X-E3, Panasonic, Olympus and Sony, witch are nice cameras, but it just don’t feel right. And then I got all my lenses with K mount lenses...

One of the reasons why I would upgrade, is the articulated screen. My body, and eyes are not what they used to be, so getting down to take pictures from a low angle is quite hard.

So to my question, is KP a worthy upgrade from my K-3? I am familiar with the batteri life (got batteries to my K-30, which are the same), card slots and the lack of IR, but I can live with that.

Thankful for advices:-)
I think the KP has your name written All Over IT !
I suffer from GAS and Im also a recovered LBA.
For the last 3 years Im "stuck" being a fulltime live-in caregiver for a lady friend that is dying with cancer. What else do I have to do for the whole 1-2 hours a day I have free ?
Soon I will be able to get out and travel and be free again , but for now Im getting all my gear straightened out and ready to "Go" !
I used my K-3 and K-3II 50% of the time with a 7" field monitor because of a lack of an articulating screen for some of the same reasons as you.
I hated every minute of it......lol.
I say Go For It !
07-14-2018, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO from a high-level comparison the KP is not intended to replace the K-3 / K-3ll. Feature and IQ-wise it more closely approximates the K-70, but with a body design that competes with the scale of a large MILC (with one of the 4 pancakes mounted). If you are looking for a deep buffer, external button controls and a top LCD keep your K-3 for a while. If you are looking for a different ergonomic experience ( especially considering the interchangeable grips) and won’t miss th flagship controls consider the KP.

Both will give you fine image files, so your decision should be based on the user experience you want..
07-14-2018, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
First, thank you all for your thougts. Appreciated:-)
You guys don’t make it easier...but it gives me insight. I have had my K-3 for 4 years, and it have been a good friend. We work well together, and it have given me a lot of good results. It’s always polite, and doesn’t make any difference between the man in the street, Kris K or The King of Norway, who have been on its sensor. It alway does its best, with good results.

I’m not sure that the KP can give me much better results, in the light of my objects, who mostly is people, of all kind. I think the best solution form me at this time, is to be with my good friend K-3, who I know well, and wait out for the next step from Ricoh Pentax....the K-4(me)

PS. What I really wold like to see from them, is a mirrorless rangfinder, like the Fujifilm X-E3, but with a articulated screen. Maybe the new GR...
07-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Natrphot Quote
I had been considering the KP for over a year to replace my K3 and finally pulled the plug in May. Although I have not had the opportunity to do extensive shooting, I have been very pleased. I was concerned that the size might be too small for me, but as I have in the past, purchased the battery grip and that makes all the difference. The lack of the second memory card slot was never an issue as I only once used the second memory card in the K3 and that was by mistake besides the battery can store an extra memory card in it. One of the many reasons I got the KP was the increased ISO as from time to time I am called to shoot photos for a sports organization in a gym built in the 1930's with poor lighting. I kept waiting for the flagship APS-C, but that might be a while, so I went with the KP. So far, no complaints and the photo quality is very good.
I think the expression you mean is pull the "trigger" not the "plug", they mean entirely the opposite
07-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I were looking into another ASP-C camera it would be the KP. The reason I never got the K3ii was the lack of an articulating screen pure and simple. When I grab for a camera now it is almost always the K-1. However I know you stated FF is not for you. It seems the KP would definitely be a great choice. I use my IR remotes quite a bit so the lack of the IR sensor is real problem for me. For now I'm holding out for the K3 replacement.
08-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #29
pxt

IMHO between KP and K3 II is not big difference. It is more cosmetic. I will ask about battery life and that is mather for you.