Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #1

Will we see Eye-AF on Pentax cameras anytime soon

like on the Sony A7 III or is it technically not possible to implement it on a DSLR when focusing through the viewfinder?

I fell in love with this feature. However, I try everything to justify staying with Pentax cameras, so maybe there's a chance to see this implemented on Pentax DSLR as well?

07-10-2018, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
seems pretty unlikely to see it in DSLR considering how it works.
07-10-2018, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
like on the Sony A7 III or is it technically not possible to implement it on a DSLR when focusing through the viewfinder?

I fell in love with this feature. However, I try everything to justify staying with Pentax cameras, so maybe there's a chance to see this implemented on Pentax DSLR as well?
If you need it go for it in the Sony, Pentax is marketed as a field camera. Eye AF on afield camera doesn't make any sense.

We've had people switch to other systems in the past, and come back a few years later with their tails between their legs. But not people who switched for Eye AF. Those people are happy as pigs in mud with their Sony gear.
07-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you absolutely need it, I think you should go for Sony...

07-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
HA ha CR, beat you too it.

I was probably just faster hitting the "Save" button.
07-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No. If it's something you need buy the camera that has it.
07-10-2018, 02:16 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
HA ha CR, beat you too it.

I was probably just faster hitting the "Save" button.
Aha, yeah. I'm doing a few things at the same time so I'm probably a bit slow during replies...

But it's true about the answer... and while there are no bad cameras being made today, some have features that others don't have... the question always is, what cameras have the features that one absolutely needs?

07-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there are no bad cameras being made today, some have features that others don't have... the question always is, what cameras have the features that one absolutely needs?
Very well said!
07-10-2018, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Who knows what Ricoh is working on next, but my guess is they're focusing on things that (a) others don't have and (b) enhance image quality in some way.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2018, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Will we see Eye-AF on Pentax cameras anytime soon
Highly unlikely. There is nothing in the optical path available to the PDAF sensor capable of finding eyes. The RGB detector used for metering can theoretically detect and track faces, but cannot reliably resolve an eye.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-10-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Removed vestigial text
07-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What they said ^ ^ ^

There are a number of users on this site that count nailing and tracking an eye without user intervention to be an essential feature for their style of photography. For those people, Sony makes a product.

Steve
07-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But it's true about the answer... and while there are no bad cameras being made today, some have features that others don't have... the question always is, what cameras have the features that one absolutely needs?
This has been true for many years. Buy the camera that has the features you want/need in a system, and be happy. I get so tired of people bashing X or Y brand because they don't have something that Z brand does...

I don't see eye AF detection coming to DSLRs anytime soon, it's one of the features that mirrorless does best, and Sony seems to be at the top right now with it.
07-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I agree with those saying it won't happen any time soon, and that it is unlikely on a DSLR. However, I do not see any reason why it would not be possible as a feature in live view.
07-10-2018, 06:52 PM - 5 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Real men focus manual primes wide open at 1.4 on eyes with no problem, but for everyone else, there's Sony.
07-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
Pentax has face detect and it would not be a bad thing to have eye detection. Obviously just in live view when pentax upgrades sensors there should be no reason not to have it.