Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IPhocus next?
07-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When will Canon or Nikon have Eye AF?
Probably never on their dSLRs unless maybe in live view.

Steve
07-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When will Canon or Nikon have Eye AF?

Canon had it back on film cameras around 1995, There was 5 focus points and if you looked at one of those 5, the camera would focus on that point.

cmohr

Arrrrrrr

07-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Canon had it back on film cameras around 1995, There was 5 focus points and if you looked at one of those 5, the camera would focus on that point.

cmohr

Arrrrrrr
yes i think it was the EOS Elan but different than what we are talking about now. That system focused where the shooter looked this is focusing on the subjects eye. That was very cool i wondered what happened to it.

---------- Post added 07-10-18 at 09:35 PM ----------

EOS ELAN II / EOS ELAN IIE - Canon Camera Museum
07-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
yes i think it was the EOS Elan but different than what we are talking about now. That system focused where the shooter looked this is focusing on the subjects eye. That was very cool i wondered what happened to it.

---------- Post added 07-10-18 at 09:35 PM ----------

EOS ELAN II / EOS ELAN IIE - Canon Camera Museum
Ahhh, sorry, I thought it was about what the photographer was making the decision on what the camera was to focus on, and the eye controlled focus point was a great tool in that. I understand now people mean eye recognition / face recognition,.

Last edited by cmohr; 07-11-2018 at 09:23 PM.
07-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Aha, yeah. I'm doing a few things at the same time so I'm probably a bit slow during replies...

But it's true about the answer... and while there are no bad cameras being made today, some have features that others don't have... the question always is, what cameras have the features that one absolutely needs?
All cameras have what you absolute need (the ability to capture images). The other features are only to make photography a little more convenient.

I believe it is more a question of what you want, but the things you want may not be what you absolutely need

Last edited by Fogel70; 07-10-2018 at 11:03 PM.
07-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Actually, it's photography, so we probably don't have to buy the features we absolutely need. If someone wants to just play around with some feature, why not buy the camera that has it? We don't have to *need* something to buy it, otherwise some of us probably have to sell 90% of our lenses

Is eye tracking a pro feature? It might be, but so is face tracking. The two are probably interchangeable in some professional situations (sports, weddings). I can't think of an application where eye tracking works and face tracking doesn't, except for "one-eye-in-focus, really-shallow-DOF porrtaits", which of course is an amateur type scneario, but one that a lot of people pursue because I guess it can be fun.
07-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks for all your answers. Seems pretty clear that we won't see it on a Pentax.

Well, what's the use of discussing whether you REALLY need something or not... in Germany the majority says no-one needs an automatic gearbox. Basically they are right since you can shift manually. If I'm not mistaken most Americans have cars with automatic gearboxes. So do I. Why not, if it helps and makes thinks more convenient. It's the result that matters. If you have seen how unbelievable good it works, you know that you might miss a lot of shots when you don't have it, since it's so accurate and quick.
I did miss some shots using my K-1/K-3/K-5/K-10. But still I got a lot of good shots
07-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
If I'm not mistaken most Americans have cars with automatic gearboxes. So do I. Why not, if it helps and makes thinks more convenient. It's the result that matters.
Over 90% of vehicles sold in the US have some type of automatic transmission.
07-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Over 90% of vehicles sold in the US have some type of automatic transmission.
The rest is probably photographers that always use manual mode.
07-11-2018, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The rest is probably photographers that always use manual mode.
My guess is that idiosyncratic people tend to make their unusual choices across many fields. There are probably more Pentaxians who drive manual transmission cars than among the general population. I'd bet there are a larger percentage of Linux users among Pentaxians than there are among Canon users.
07-11-2018, 09:46 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Telling people to switch to Sony doesn't seem like a good business strategy nor is it helpful in bringing in a new generation of users.

If Pentax is just for field cameras why are they making a DFA 85 1.4? A portrait lens. Eye AF is increasingly important for portrait shooters.

A Live View CDAF Eye AF implementation is very do-able for Pentax. The current architecture probably doesn't have enough CPU horsepower, but hopefully they are working on a new platform that would be able to support it.

Frankly just a better face detection implementation would be useful for a lot of people right now.

Last edited by caliscouser; 07-11-2018 at 09:17 PM.
07-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
If Pentax is just for field cameras why are they making a DFA 85 1.4? A portrait lens. Eye AF is increasingly important for portrait shooters.
Because for most real portrait shooters, like who own studios etc. they have worked out techniques over the years to get good shots with almost anything. The pros definitely don't need Eye AF for portraits. Winder says it's really good for weddings though.
07-11-2018, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Cameras have autofocus? I never noticed.
;P