Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 10:00 AM - 4 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sure no one needs Eye AF, but no one needs AF either. They are just tools. Any Pro should be constantly looking at what new tools are available that can help them do their job more efficiently.

07-11-2018, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My guess is that idiosyncratic people tend to make their unusual choices across many fields. There are probably more Pentaxians who drive manual transmission cars than among the general population. I'd bet there are a larger percentage of Linux users among Pentaxians than there are among Canon users.
Not having a manual transmission is a 110% deal breaker for me. No manual, no sale.

This is why I will never own lots of luxury cars, SUVs, & even a lot of sports cars like the Nissan GTR. No clutch pedal & no shifter = less engaging for me. I've been wanting to get a Chevrolet SS sedan with a 6-speed manual, Cadillac ATS-V, or a CTS-V, but man! They are very hard to come by. It's really hard to find one with a 6-speed manual.

I also use Linux. Hahahaaha!
07-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Not having a manual transmission is a 110% deal breaker for me. No manual, no sale.

This is why I will never own lots of luxury cars, SUVs, & even a lot of sports cars like the Nissan GTR. No clutch pedal & no shifter = less engaging for me. I've been wanting to get a Chevrolet SS sedan with a 6-speed manual, Cadillac ATS-V, or a CTS-V, but man! They are very hard to come by. It's really hard to find one with a 6-speed manual.

Proud owner of a 2014 Audi S4 with a manual transmission. That replaced a 2005 Mini Cooper S with a manual. Which replaced a 1995 Eagle Talon with a manual. Which replaced a 1988 Chevy Beretta with a manual.
07-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Unfortunately it is just not an option on many vehicles any more here in the states. I sure miss the six speed manual I had in my old F250. Ford and GM both stopped putting manual transmission in their heavy duty pickups years ago.

Last edited by rangercarp; 07-11-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo
07-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a matter of different manufacturers offering something unique and useful to attract customers, so there are some features Pentax exclusively has, some that Sony offers, some by Nikon, etc.
07-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Frankly just a better fact detection implementation would be useful for a lot of people right now.
I like face detection on my D800, If I am shooting events or people it is very handy what nice about it is that you no longer have the need to focus and then recompose or have to fiddle with moving the focus points around.
How they have it implemented with the D800 if the face fall within the AF coverage the camera will select that face and highlight the AF point's the face fall under, this way you have real time feedback on what the camera is focusing on. If the camera looses the face lift you finger off of the AF and press it again

For the timed I need eye AF detection 3D tracking is the next best thing when using the 150 2.8, place the eye under the AF point and let the camera track the eye for you and you never have to move the AF points around as you compose the shot or when the subject moves around. And again you have constant feedback in the viewfinder as to what is being focused on and just like with face detection all you need to do is lift your finger off of AF and then relock on the target.

Some may feel that they would never use the feature, the funny thing is 20 years ago I felt the same about AF If you are under the gun and the feature aids in your every day work why not use it, it also free you up so that you can focus on other aspects of photography so why not hand off focusing on the face to the camera just as we have handed off AF, metering, and spot metering to the camera.

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 07-11-2018 at 09:21 PM.
07-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I like face detection on my D800, If I am shooting events or people it is very handy what nice about it is that you no longer have the need to focus and then recompose or have to fiddle with moving the focus points around.
That I can relate to. I just don't use it often enough to justify switching brands for.

07-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #38

Original Poster
Alright, today I ordered a Sony A7 III. I love Pentax and still I hope that I won't like the EVF

But you have to give them credit for this model. It's fabulous what they did to the AF. It can also remember faces, so you can save them after having taken one picture of them before so the camera will recognize the face and always focus on this face even when other people are on the scene.

I saw a video where they tested how good eye focus works when the person is far way. It still works lots of meters away from the camera even in ultra wide angle. This is stunning. Also, it recognizes the eye that's closer to the lens, since normally you want to have this one in focus.

More to come. I also ordered a FE85 1.8. Let's see how it is. I love my Limited 77 1.8.
07-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I like face detection on my D800,
On the D800 does face detection only work in live view?
07-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Alright, today I ordered a Sony A7 III. I love Pentax and still I hope that I won't like the EVF

But you have to give them credit for this model. It's fabulous what they did to the AF. It can also remember faces, so you can save them after having taken one picture of them before so the camera will recognize the face and always focus on this face even when other people are on the scene.

I saw a video where they tested how good eye focus works when the person is far way. It still works lots of meters away from the camera even in ultra wide angle. This is stunning. Also, it recognizes the eye that's closer to the lens, since normally you want to have this one in focus.

More to come. I also ordered a FE85 1.8. Let's see how it is. I love my Limited 77 1.8.
You just bought some fine equipment but it is for a very different game than Pentax. At least my Pentax. I also have a recent Sony. I like it but its use rarely overlaps with my K-1.
07-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #41

Original Poster
Where do you use them? We'll see.
Will also test the FA77 1.8 on K-1 vs. the FE85 1.8 on the Sony A7 III.
07-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yep...full control as the default.

Steve
07-12-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Proud owner of a 2014 Audi S4 with a manual transmission. That replaced a 2005 Mini Cooper S with a manual. Which replaced a 1995 Eagle Talon with a manual. Which replaced a 1988 Chevy Beretta with a manual.
My regular commute involved 1-2 hours of crawling at 5-10 mph and the knee on my clutch leg was going out. I went over to the dark side in 2012 with the Mazda 3 5-door, 5-speed being replaced with a 3.5L Altima Coupe with shiftable CVT. I still miss the Mazda, but not in heavy traffic.

FWIW, I could have purchased the Altima with a 6-speed, but by all accounts it had beastly linkage.

Steve

(...1-2-3-2-3-2-3-N-N-N-1-2-3...)
07-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That I can relate to. I just don't use it often enough to justify switching brands for.
What they said ^ ^ ^

I don't shoot weddings and rarely shoot events and when I do, catching a particular face is usually purposeful. Nikon's 3D tracking would be very nice, but it may be many years before the patents expire. My understanding is that the feature is hard to replicate without licensing and Nikon is not offering the license. (Translation? 3D on Pentax in the near future? )

Steve
07-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote

I hope it goes well for you. The EVF was and continues to be the deal-breaker for me (instant dizzy/headache). AF the last time I looked in-store was not awe-inspiring (i.e. snappy? Who needs snappy?), but who needs AF, right? I hope it is something that has been improved on your new camera.

Steve