Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2019, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't know the exact figure, but in Europe, 90% of people prefer to use manual gear shifting, the overall consumption is less and it is quicker to adapt depending on terrain (mountains etc). There is a parallel with camera, I was hiking for 4 days in the Alps with the Pentax K1 on one battery that still had a one bar charge indicator after taking 300 exposures. If I had a mirrorless camera, I'd need to recharge it every day or bring four batteries.

I've driven car with manual and automatic transmission. It was a matter of getting used to each kind of transmission. I shift gears manually without thinking about it. It's just that over a week of driving on vacation with an automatic gear shifting car I spend 50 Euros more refueling.

There is a parallel between Eye AF, car auto-transmission and GPS, mobile phones, they all appeal to laziness, and when you use them you can't seem to be able to do without anymore because you lose skills. It's like buying frozen fish and meat at the supermarket, it is so easy that people don't even know how it can there, and if there was an electricity blackout for 6 months, most people in the cities would be incapable of feeding themselves...

People nowadays are like greenhouse plants.
Most modern cars are only slightly more efficient with manual transmissions. Maybe a mile per gallon or three. I think it's unlikely that you'd save 50 Euros in a week of driving. If you drive 1000 km you'd spend in the neighborhood of $200 Euros on petrol. So the manual would have to be 20% more efficient. 25 mpg instead of 20. That's on or beyond the outer limit of what's plausible given today's 8- and 9-speed automatics that are tuned for maximum efficiency in most cars. In actual driving the efficiency of a manual is almost certainly less than published figures, because while the computer shifts for efficiency, the driver of a manual transmission often doesn't.

In any case, I like manual transmissions, I drive one every day. But calling anyone who drives an automatic, or uses GPS or Eye AF or mobile phones lazy, and the equivalent of only eating TV dinners is pretty snobbish. We all pick and choose what we want to be helped with and for what we'll give up conveniences. I'm sure we could find some oldtimers who'd laugh at your choices to flip a switch for lights, for using the internet to get information, for driving a car with fuel injection that never needs to be tuned... Drawing a bright line at Eye AF and manual transmissions is a subjective choice, no more lazy than 1000 other choices you've made.

08-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Drawing a bright line at Eye AF and manual transmissions is a subjective choice, no more lazy than 1000 other choices you've made.
Yes, we need to find ways to make people buy, that's how we keep develop economies from falling apart, because all basics are already covered with great efficiency. In the meantime, for the price of a new Sony camera model that is 90% the same as the previous model, you could feed an entire family in Ethiopia for a year or two.
08-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Meh....

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
like on the Sony A7 III or is it technically not possible to implement it on a DSLR when focusing through the viewfinder?

I fell in love with this feature. However, I try everything to justify staying with Pentax cameras, so maybe there's a chance to see this implemented on Pentax DSLR as well?
Canon had that in the 90's...in the film days.

A LOT of technology and power going into someone too lazy to push a button.

Cheers,
Cameron
12-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #79

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
A LOT of technology and power going into someone too lazy to push a button.

Cheers,
Cameron
What do you mean by this???

12-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Canon...

had 'eye-focus' technology in the early 90's. You just look around in the viewfinder an it was supposed to focus on what you were looking at. It didn't. It was terrible.

Cheers,
Cameron

---------- Post added 12-18-2019 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
seems pretty unlikely to see it in DSLR considering how it works.
...back in the 90's. It was awful.

Completely doable in a dslr, though.

Cheers,
Cameron

---------- Post added 12-18-2019 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
seems pretty unlikely to see it in DSLR considering how it works.
...back in the 90's. It was awful.

Completely doable in a dslr, though.

Cheers,
Cameron
12-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #81

Original Poster
Yes, completely different concept from what it is now.
12-18-2019, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't know the exact figure, but in Europe, 90% of people prefer to use manual gear shifting, the overall consumption is less and it is quicker to adapt depending on terrain (mountains etc).
When I purchased a Ford Fiesta with the "high MPG" option, an automatic transmission came as part of the option - Ford's research says that their automatic transmission increases MPG for most drivers.

12-18-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
like on the Sony A7 III or is it technically not possible to implement it on a DSLR when focusing through the viewfinder?

I fell in love with this feature. However, I try everything to justify staying with Pentax cameras, so maybe there's a chance to see this implemented on Pentax DSLR as well?
Why don't you submit this question the next time @Adam asks for interview questions of Ricoh???
12-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I purchased a Ford Fiesta with the "high MPG" option, an automatic transmission came as part of the option - Ford's research says that their automatic transmission increases MPG for most drivers.
I am in a search for a new car and I was surprised last week by the fact that 80% of car makers portfolios are with automatic transmission. Dramatic shift over last few years to decrease MPG and CO2 release ?
12-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I don't think I would like this feature because I don't always see eye-to-eye with my subject. I'll let LV do it for me.

I would rather stick with my long relationship with Pentax due to the features they offer that others do not, like the very useful Pentax Hyper System.

But others of course "see" things differently.
12-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick google shows it is available on some canon and Nixon slurs also. I think it is more of a gimmick because it wants you to look directly at the point of focus, and that takes away from framing the whole shot and setting the focus point where you want / need it
12-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I am in a search for a new car and I was surprised last week by the fact that 80% of car makers portfolios are with automatic transmission. Dramatic shift over last few years to decrease MPG and CO2 release ?
Buy one with a paddle shifter best of both worlds plus the car can't be over revved with paddle shifted transmissions as it will automatically up shift near the rev limit if you delay the shift manually. lots of fun shifting yourself through the day!
12-19-2019, 02:13 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
had 'eye-focus' technology in the early 90's
Today "eye-focusing" refers to focusing on the eye of the subject you want to photograph. Completely different concept.
12-19-2019, 02:50 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has had face recognition in Live View for quite some time. Several users have noticed that it tends to preferentially focus on the eyes.

Is there really a problem?
12-19-2019, 03:01 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Pentax has had face recognition in Live View for quite some time. Several users have noticed that it tends to preferentially focus on the eyes.
Indeed and it works effectively!