Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
canon and Nixon slurs

I mean, the sentiment is not entirely incorrect...

12-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

I mean, the sentiment is not entirely incorrect...
i need to check what i type more, auto correct on my ipad is killing me

Nikon and Cannon SLRs
12-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #93

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
A quick google shows it is available on some canon and Nixon slurs also. I think it is more of a gimmick because it wants you to look directly at the point of focus, and that takes away from framing the whole shot and setting the focus point where you want / need it
That’s why no one wants it. We want today’s Eye-AF.

12-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Pentax has had face recognition in Live View for quite some time. Several users have noticed that it tends to preferentially focus on the eyes.

Is there really a problem?
For me it works pretty well with doing business headshots, etc.

12-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Pentax has had face recognition in Live View for quite some time. Several users have noticed that it tends to preferentially focus on the eyes.

Is there really a problem?
Seems like it would be the logical thing to focus on. Certainly don't want it grabbing the end of the nose or the ears.
05-23-2021, 11:47 PM   #96

Original Poster
So, has eye af for Pentax through the view finder finally arrived? Does it work? Is it comparable to a Sony A7 III for instance?
05-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
So, has eye af for Pentax through the view finder finally arrived? Does it work? Is it comparable to a Sony A7 III for instance?
Head over to the K3iii part of the forum and ask there. The K3iii has face and eye AF.

05-24-2021, 11:04 PM   #98

Original Poster
Thanks! I saw some comments there but wasn’t really sure what to make of them. That’s why I thought/hoped I might get a “summarizing” answer in this thread here.
05-24-2021, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #99
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sure, see here:

06-01-2021, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #100
Pentaxian

1. So, has eye af for Pentax through the view finder finally arrived?
  2. Does it work?
  3. Is it comparable to a Sony A7 III for instance?
  1. yes
  2. yes
  3. effective yes, but technically different.
You'll find all anwers and questions in dedicated threads:
New K-3 III video from Ricoh: OVF face, eye and bird detection is coming. - PentaxForums.com
AF-C of K-3III is impressive - PentaxForums.com
K3-iii, any news on Eye AF and Video Codec? - PentaxForums.com
Eye AF in viewfinder really works! - PentaxForums.com
So... What about the AF? - PentaxForums.com
01-05-2023, 06:42 PM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Reading through the posts in this thread, I think there are some people still not understanding the Pentax Face Detection.

That's consistent, because there are a lot that don't understand autofocus, or exposure, or a heap of features built into their cameras (okay, that happens), yet post judgments about these topics (not so forgiveable, we need to be the best source of correct info on the web about Pentax other than Ricoh, because the other sites like DPR or PetaPixel or whatever are hopeless!).

As Eddy Summers has pointed out in the Pentaxians Facebook group:
"Some Pentaxians and I put this mode through some tests and all came to this same conclusion. It's a travesty that Pentax decided in all their wisdom to call it 'Face Detection' and show a box around the head vs eye but there you go...

Here's some interesting facts about Pentax's Face Detection (at least on the K-1/KP);

1) Face Detection actually fails utterly without clearly having access to eyes. This shot of my daughter in plain sight for example it could not lock on at all.
I did a recent cosplay shoot where if the actor was wearing too much eye pieces etc then the system completely failed, despite having access to some other facial features such as ears, chins, nose and mouth. The Eyes are utterly critical for the system to work.

2) Eyes are prioritised as focus points every time, even when shooting close up and wide open. I now do all my portrait work in Face Detection mode, it doesn't get any easier. Have a look at this shot here, wide open and shows the eyes as the focus point;
Concert Day | Good Luck Miss T! | Eddy Summers | Flickr

3) When the yellow box presents itself a face to focus on, you can press the 'ok' button and it will zoom into that place (rather than zoom in on the centre and have to use the d-pad to steer around the frame). This is handy if you do want to check focus a little more before taking the shot.

4) It might actually be better than some other Eye Detection systems. Try and push the limits of the system by having the subject stand quite far away and use a wide angle lens or something, the yellow focus box that you are presented with is practically a yellow dot! It finds a face/eyes and gets you the shot. I was able to use the Face/Eye Detection for shots like this for example; Lady Ironfest | Single ocf speedlight, 120cm octagon camera ? | Flickr

We need to spread the word, because a recent poll had 'Eye Detection' as being the second highest requested feature. I smh to think of all the Pentaxians out there that already have access to it yet never use it thinking somehow Face Detection is worse or a dated kinda system. Use it, test it, see for yourselves!

Now... can it be better? Sure... I'd like it to be able to work when users wear glasses or shades, which it currently struggles with."
Please don't use the excuse 'Oh, I've never used that before, I didn't know', because now you've read this thread, you do!
Something I’m not clear on that maybe you can clear up, does this work only in live view? Or also through the viewfinder? It seems it works through the viewfinder on the k3iii, but not k1 ii?
01-06-2023, 12:03 AM   #102
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pblogic Quote
Something I’m not clear on that maybe you can clear up, does this work only in live view? Or also through the viewfinder? It seems it works through the viewfinder on the k3iii, but not k1 ii?
The K-3 III ('Katie') can do this in the OVF, previous Pentaxes do it in the EVF.
01-06-2023, 01:09 AM   #103

Original Poster
The question is, does it "really" work (OVF). If suppose, not really (from what I saw on Youtube when it was released. Unfortunately.
01-06-2023, 03:55 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The question is, does it "really" work (OVF). If suppose, not really (from what I saw on Youtube when it was released. Unfortunately.
You're relying on a short review done before the camera ever got it's first update? The NikonZ9's focus had issues at release improved by firmware updates.

We have a thread where eye focus is actively being discussed. Look in the K3III subforums for relevant discussions including that one:
Subject Recognition - Eye Detection AF. Proper testing results Firmware 1.70 - PentaxForums.com
01-06-2023, 04:03 AM   #105

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
You're relying on a short review done before the camera ever got it's first update? The NikonZ9's focus had issues at release improved by firmware updates.

We have a thread where eye focus is actively being discussed. Look in the K3III subforums for relevant discussions including that one:
Subject Recognition - Eye Detection AF. Proper testing results Firmware 1.70 - PentaxForums.com
I'm basically relying on what I can see. At that time there was nothing else. Thanks for the link! Will have a look at it.

However, I think videos will beset demonstrate how capable eye af works. Is there a video you know of that shows what it can do (and possibly can't do)?