Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K100D Firmware Version 1.00 Questions

Here goes...

I have a K100D version 1.00 I use for daytime photography and a K110D version 1.02 I use for astrophotography. I have never bothered with updating the K100D since I only use 2 GB memory cards and I don't want to mess with success.

I have consistently found Pentax Remote Assistant V 1.00 (the istD version) recognizes the K100D and functions (with a few gotchas). R.A. almost never recognizes the K110D (attaching the K110D creates a disk drive but R.A. comes up grayed out).

Of course, the one I NEED Remote Assistant for is the K110D to make focusing a telescope easier. I've given up on waiting for Pentax to provide a supported R.A. for their K1x0D and istDL customers. They don't seem to care about us.

First Question: Those of you who have found R.A. 1.00 works with your K1x0D, what version firmware do you have? I'm wondering if the older firmware works better for this one feature or if I have a coincidence.

Second Question: Does anyone know of a copy of K1x0D firmware 1.00? I have not found older versions on Pentax and other web sites.

Third Question: Does the firmware upgrade procedure work for downgrades?

Since my K110D is filterless I value it rather highly, I don't want to brain dead the camera by downgrading. But, I really would like to have R.A. work on the K110D.

09-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

When I tried RA with my K100D it didn't work. Although it may have had something to do with my computer.
I should mention that I had the updated firmware at the time, so that may have had something to do with it.

As for downgrading firmware. I've never heard of anyone successfully doing it in any camera without a hack.
I believe that Pentax can for you, but I imagine that they'll ding your wallet a little. It shouldn't be all that much.

I wouldn't want to be the first trying this, but I'm sort of wondering if we can just use the K10D firmware, or even from an istD, in our cameras. Unlocking some of their features.
09-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Of course, the one I NEED Remote Assistant for is the K110D to make focusing a telescope easier. I've given up on waiting for Pentax to provide a supported R.A. for their K1x0D and istDL customers. They don't seem to care about us.
RA support is a marketing differentiator of level in Pentax cameras. This should have been something you investigated before buying your camera so your comment about Pentax "not caring for you" seems a bit sour grapes and childish.

As is though, if you are willing to use Linux then there is a solution, PK-Remote. There are a number of Linux programs for astronomy by the way, so you will find a rich eco-system and won't have to lose functionality or support two platforms.

PK-Remote
QuoteQuote:
Software for tethered shooting using Pentax DSLRs, providing the functions from Pentax Remote Assistant to Linux users.
In its current state, it works with Pentax cameras up to K10D. There have been people posting K200D, K20D, as well as Samsung patches, but the author has not incorporated the patches.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-15-2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: spelling
09-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #4

thanks for the info on Linux, I was wondering about that, since I am a linux only user, and have the same requirements.

09-15-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
thanks for the info on Linux, I was wondering about that, since I am a linux only user, and have the same requirements.
Since you have the K20D in your signature you might be interested in this dpreview post.

Thank you
Russell
09-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
When I tried RA with my K100D it didn't work. ...
As for downgrading firmware. I've never heard of anyone successfully doing it in any camera without a hack. ...
Hi Little Laker,

There have been many posts on this forum from unhappy K1x0D owners who discover R.A. does not work for them, a few posts from those who succeeded using it. I'm curious if the successful ones have older firmware. If so, I'd like to back date my K110D. It actually worked with R.A. when I first bought it, but when it went to Pentax Colorado for repair (my fault) they returned it with newer firmware.

Backdated firmware is usually provided for high-end computers, at least one revision back. I worked in computers for over 30 years, mostly on large UNIX systems. Firmware updates were one of my responsibilities. The Change Control planning of my High Availability customers required a backout plan so I had to have older firmware on hand. Rarely did a customer request we back out of a change, but my company needed to have older firmware available just in case.

I hoping someone has the ver 1.00 firmware files on hand.

I'm otherwise quite happy with my cameras: the K100D has 11,200 clicks and the K110D has 3,700 clicks.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 09-15-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Fixed click count