Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Another (different) K-5 Shake Reduction query

I have a Sigma EX 70-200mm f/2.8 which my K-5 is perfectly happy with, but what occurred to me was :

"Does the camera 'know' when the matching 2x adaptor is fitted or does it still treat the assembly as a 70-200 (instead of a 140-400 f/5.6) when Shake Reduction is activated?"

I'm not aware of any issues that I might attribute to this situation, but it'd be good to know if something crops up at some point.

Thanks for any knowledgeable responses

07-11-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I have a Sigma EX 70-200mm f/2.8 which my K-5 is perfectly happy with, but what occurred to me was :

"Does the camera 'know' when the matching 2x adaptor is fitted or does it still treat the assembly as a 70-200 (instead of a 140-400 f/5.6) when Shake Reduction is activated?"

I'm not aware of any issues that I might attribute to this situation, but it'd be good to know if something crops up at some point.

Thanks for any knowledgeable responses
I know it does with the Pentax DA 1.4x TC. With your Sigma TC, if the focal length in the EXIF shows up as being doubled, then the answer to your question is "yes". Otherwise no, and the SR performance would be a little bit less than optimal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the detailed information. I've now checked my lens/camera combinations and confirmed that my K-5 doesn't appear to recognise that this 2x adaptor is fitted, though it does 'know' what focal length the lens is set to.
07-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i would assume you could input a different FL of the lens to optimize SR function? I've not tried such myself.

07-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
i would assume you could input a different FL of the lens to optimize SR function? I've not tried such myself.
Sorry, not quite sure what you're suggesting. On my camera, if the lens is recognised, as this particular Sigma is, there's no opportunity (that I am aware of) to change the focal length. It's only with older manual-focus lenses that I'm offered the option to enter the focal length of the lens, the option on the menu is "greyed out" when a recognised lens is fitted.