Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Spotting counterfeit lenses?

I managed to snag a 77mm Limited off of Amazon for $67 in good condition. I kind of figured they had missed a zero when listing it and figured the order would be canceled or is was fraud I would file an A - Z guarantee is they pulled something but, it showed up in great condition with no case or front cap. I've never owned any of the FA lenses but I have owned all the DA limiteds at one point. The lens seems legit I put in on my KP and it auto focuses alright and moves through all the apertures fine . I took a few pictures and Ricoh's digital camera utility identifies the lens used as a FA77 . Is there anything else I should look for that something fishy is going on or did I just get insanely lucky? The vendor sells a lot of other cameras and lenses but they are all selling for the average used prices....

07-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would cost more to counterfeit a modern lens than it's worth. Can you post a pic of it?

Sounds like you got an amazing deal!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect you got extreme lucky. I've never heard of anyone counterfeiting lenses, I suspect that the cost of building a fake that actually worked would be higher than the cost of an real one.

So if it looks like an FA 77mm, and it works like an FA 77mm then it really is an FA 77mm. Congratulations.
07-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations! An amazing deal on an amazing lens...

07-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon and others have tried hard to make people think there are lots of fake photo equipment around. While there may be a few simple items as Adam pointed out the real equipment, lenses and cameras, would just not be worth it to try to make counterfeits. It would have been easier in the film days but I think "fake" frenzy is overblown in most areas.
07-12-2018, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by valimyr Quote
I managed to snag a 77mm Limited off of Amazon for $67 in good condition.Is there anything else I should look for that something fishy is going on or did I just get insanely lucky? The vendor sells a lot of other cameras and lenses but they are all selling for the average used prices....
As Adam said, post front, rear, and both sides photos of the lens with the caps off if you want us to look for signs of a counterfeit. But a $900 new lens or $700 used lens would not be counterfeited for $67. It would be probably be in the $350-$500 range.

I also do not believe anyone would bother counterfeiting anything but the most popular lenses made by Canon, Nikon, or Sony. The lens makers that have the tech to do this have for the most part found they can make more money legally, than illegally. So we now have Yongnuo, Samyang, Rokinon, etc.

There are still rogue enterprises with flash units, shoes, watches, eyeglass frames, cell phones, and all sorts of franchised logo wear.

My guess is that the seller was clueless about Pentax and didn't do their research on that lens' value. You got a deal of a lifetime.
07-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what the incidence of actual fakes is on the market.

Most of the fake stuff I have seen, or seen pictures of has either been really simple things like filters, or it's been a completely different product rearing the badge or label of a brand.

Some companies refer to equipment refurbished or repaired outside of their supplier chain as counterfeit, Same for grey market products in some cases.

07-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Counterfeit lenses that work as well as the original? I would be tempted...

Nah, it seems unlikely. The engineering involved would not be easy or cheap. The counterfeiters could skimp on the quality of the glass and use plastic instead of metal but what else?

If the IQ of your copy is up to scratch, it must be the real deal.
07-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it's a designer knock-off? Does the front name ring say Pentacks?

Seems that you got a really sweet deal. Enjoy!
07-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it's in good condition and works like the real deal, for $67 it wouldn't matter to me if it said Walmart on the lens.
07-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My parents went to Russia about 12 years ago and Dad brought back what appeared to be a Nazi era Leica camera, complete with the Nazi eagle logo embossed into the top plate. A quick bit of Internet research busted that myth. It was actually a Soviet-era knockoff of a Leica that somebody had put a Leica top plate on and embossed the Nazi logo on it, which the Reich didn't do.
07-12-2018, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like an error to me- theirs! On your KP it will be a dream- enjoy one of the finest lenses ever made by anyone! I have used mine extensively on my KP. Wow, talk about good luck!
07-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As long as the lens doesn't look like a M50/2 with a FA77 name ring, you're probably in good shape.

The fact that the camera reads it as an FA77 would certainly suggest it's legit. I would give it a careful
examination to be sure it hasn't had a hard knock. Even if so, $67 is certainly a steal.
07-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Winner! Winner! Limited saved you cash for dinner! Sounds like you got super lucky! Enjoy and post images of it here and then take images using it and post them here. We have a contest going on so your posts help.
07-13-2018, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think I'm just a little dumbstruck by the luck. They had a couple other Pentax items where the price made since.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E6833  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E6833  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E6833  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E6833  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E6833  Photo